LOW water big snook YT 6/11

Went out today but got a late start due to me actually going to class for once. Saw what the radar looked like for the morning with the storm pushing up from the Tampa area and decided I may as well go anyways. Left the house around 11 and on the way there I looked at the radar and wouldn't you know it, another storm blew up just south west of Cedar Key... Luckily when we got to the ramp it was starting to die out and go north east instead of towards us. So we ran out and started fishing around 1. Going out I noticed the water was already low, abnormally low for it only being 2 and a half hours after low tide. That turned out to be the case all day. Started working an area and seeing some absolute monster reds, but because of the low tide it made working the trolling motor a little hard without spooking fish. On top of that, you could only see about 6" into the water, which made seeing the fish before we were on top of them impossible as well. All the rain has dumped a lot of freshwater out there. Well, decided to drop the power pole and slowly work the edge of a bar off the shoreline. One of my friends who has been wanting to go finally got to go, so she walked to the front of the boat and threw into the school of mullet that was going crazy and boom! I heard drag screaming and saw a wake that looked like a torpedo going through the water. Had to pull the powerpole up and chase it for a little bit then finally it stopped making the long run and came close enough for me to realize it wasn't the big red I thought it was. Turned out to be a 32" snook! First snook on our boat for the west coast and definitely the biggest snook I've ever seen brought in a boat that I was on.
image_16.jpg
We caught a few reds but nothing super picture worthy, the water was way too low to stay and fish the inside, so we ran out to the trout grounds. Making our way out there, it was still shallow. We ran out to the trout stake and passed it, and it was still only 3' deep. Didn't feel like running out deeper as it was already 5 o clock and almost slack tide. Water temp was 86 degrees out there and we didn't catch a single trout to complete the slam. Still a beautiful day out there! No wind made it quite hot though. Good luck this weekend guys!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing

Replies

• Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Congrats that's a fine YT snook!
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Dude...you are on FIRE!!! :hairraiser
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    cthurow wrote: »
    Dude...you are on FIRE!!! :hairraiser

It certainly felt like it today! Lol! Thanks guys!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    That's a beauty, congrats....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    Definitely killin it right now! And you've set the bar real high for her 2nd trip with you haha
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    TideUp wrote: »
    Definitely killin it right now! And you've set the bar real high for her 2nd trip with you haha

Right?!?!?! I wouldn't disappoint that one if I were you!
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Way to go. It's good to see a snook caught back in there. It looks snooky with territory just like the bars we catch em in CR. I was out there Monday and just got 6 reds but not picture worthy. There's enough mullet back in there to walk over. We had the same problem that you had with trout. Spent a 1/2 hour on spots that you catch em every cast a week b4 and nothing. did you notice the water color changed its really dingy?
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    Way to go. It's good to see a snook caught back in there. It looks snooky with territory just like the bars we catch em in CR. I was out there Monday and just got 6 reds but not picture worthy. There's enough mullet back in there to walk over. We had the same problem that you had with trout. Spent a 1/2 hour on spots that you catch em every cast a week b4 and nothing. did you notice the water color changed its really dingy?

You're not kidding about the mullet! They were EVERYWHERE! The water looked absolutely horrible. Even on the trout flats my visibility was only at most a foot. I couldn't even see color changes to look for bars and shallow spots while on plane out there. With all the wind and rain it didn't help things much for sure.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    That`s a gooden :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • fitnastfitnast Posts: 142 Officer
    Nice snook, bet she put up a great fight
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    Isn't it a great feeling when you see/feel one of those Big Girlz on the end of the line!!! It doesn't matter how many I've caught in the past, I always get the same feeling when I hook one!! Congradz on yer first W/C Snuke to your pretty friend and to you for the "Guide pointz!" I gotz to get back out there!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • bigkahunabigkahuna Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Nice Fish....:)
    You know....if you throw em back, they'll make more......:wink
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,248 Officer
    Great fish! Not the stamina of a Red, but a crazy first few minuets.