What Camera Do You Have, And Why?

Wondering. Also what is the next addition you would "like?"

I went with the Olympus E520. Have the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses.

I wanted a still only camera (no video etc.) as I wanted to focus on photos. I read all of the reviews on capabilities and samples of pictures it produced.

Without having to go back and dig out the reviews it seemed to beat the Nikon and Canon for still photography at that camera level.

I would love to have the Zuiko ED 35-100mm F2.0, which holds the 2.0 stop all the way through the range, and the first to do so. But at 1800-2000 I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.

Replies

• Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 489 Deckhand
    I bought my first real camera in 2009, a Nikon D40 with a 18-55. Since then, I picked up a 55-200 VR and a 70-300 VR.

My next purchase will be a Nikon D7000 this winter.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    I have a D7000 after my D80 was stolen. I started with a D60 and picked the D80 up at a good price. I have the 18-105 VR kit lens, a 70-300 VR, a 55-200 VR and a Tamron 60 f/2.0 macro. I would love to have a 300 f4 but then I would lust for a 300 f2.8, 400, 500 etc. My next purchase will probably be an SB700, and maybe a magic lantern guide for the D7000.
  • Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Chuck, how do you like that 7000?
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    I like it but there's a bit of a learning curve. I was going to buy a D90 but for the extra coin I got the most current body available. The MP's allow for significant
    cropping.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 242 Deckhand
    My main Cameras are the Nikon D40 and and the Olympus 8000. Got the Nikon about 5 years ago due to the frustrating shutter speed delays from point and shoots. The D40 is a nice no-frills camera that does the job and since it's not an expensive one I don't mind when salt spray coats the bag it's in and it gets more abuse than I would want a camera to be subjected to. I've taken it out on so many trips to the ledge and after 2 days noticed salt deposits accumulate on the camera bag and still feel not guilty of the abuse I have given it. I have had the camera for around 4-5 years and it keeps on ticking.

The Olympus 8000 is my kayak camera after feeling guilty of the abuse I have been subjecting the D40 and it has been been performing flawlessly this past 1-2 years.. I've taken under water pictures with it and my daughter has taken it to the pool to take pictures and it has not missed a beat.

Bear in mind I am of the philosophy of not buying the most expensive stuff and be a slave in protecting and babying it. I am more of the school that believes that you should buy decent equipment and use it as you deem appropriate and just replace it if it fails.
  • capttcbcapttcb Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Nikon D700

Because it's amazing
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    d-5100

bc
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,167 AG
    Still use my Olympus C-740 for fishing photos and grab shots, my Nikon D50 for quick stuff and my Nikon D200 for my Sports.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    capttcb wrote: »
    Nikon D700

Because it's amazing

:Agree This is a true statement.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,780 Admiral
    I shoot mostly with my Nikon P7000 pocket cam.

I still don't own a DSLR but shoot a lot of work stuff with borrowed Cannon 30D or 60D, mainly with 70-200 2.8.

Hopefully getting a full-frame DSLR soon. Waiting anxiously to see what Nikon and Cannon come out with.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    i started with pentax film cameras...got a good deal on a pair of new canon ae-1's in '78 and never looked back in the film world...owned canon f1n's with motors and an a-1 which was the most tech advanced 35mm for its time...
    i didn't have the faith in af and i would have had to start all over when canon went to the eos film cameras....

good friend of mine who is a pro, and had always been a nikon shooter bought the d60 when it came out....
    i had the opportunity to shoot a lot with and liked it...it was time to move up to a dslr from my minolta ps 3mp...

whether i went canon or nikon, i was going to have to start from scatch and was headed to buy a nikon d 80 at best buy...
    walked into the store and they were running a 1 day special with a couple of lenses on the canon xti (this was right after the the xti was released) which was a lot,lot cheaper than the d80...
    so i bought it and became a canon guy again...and i haven't looked back....bought a 40d when it came out...i shoot with both bodies and have 15,000 clicks or more on both....

next body will be a 7d...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    For land based photography I use mainly a Canon 50D. I also have the 30D, 10D, and started with the original digital Rebel as my first SLR. I stick with Canon at this point because I own Canon lenses: 10-22, 24-105L, 100-400L, 300 f4 IS L, 400 f5.6L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 50 f1.4, EF-S 60 f2.8 macro, 100mm f2.8L IS macro.

For Underwater I shoot with a Canon T2i body in a Nauticam housing, with Tokina 10-17 fisheye or Canon 60/100mm macro lenses. My previous UW camera was a Canon G10 in a Fisheye/FIX housing.
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
    I have been Nikon committed for a very long time. I was probably indoctrinated into Club Nikon by a father that insisted on Nikon.

Tried a Pentax SLR in the 1980's that I found on a rock in Rocky Mountain National Park. I am sure someone was very bummed. I remember it being fully manual and made excellent images. Somehow that camera was mistakenly left behind with my ex-wife.

Current line up is as follows:

1. Nikon N60 great consumer film camera that I bought at the dawn of the digital age because I wasn't ready for digital as I thought the imagines were junk. They were.

2. Yashica Electro 70 - a rangefinder camera with a fixed lens and a light meter! Great fun camera for hiding out and doing street photos. Film is getting expensive ans so is developing. Fun camera though.

3. Some anonymous Kodak bridge camera, 6 MP, bought it because of the Scheider lens - stunning clarity.

4. Nikon D90. My first DSLR because I thought the resolution was finally ready for prime time. I was put off by the price at the time, but a really great camera. I am about 40K-45K shutter acctuations into the camera. Today I use it for a second body with a shorter lens for bird photography, or park it on a tripod and use it for time lapse series of Jennifer's street painting or other projects.

5. Nikon D7000. Bought it because I was waiting for the D300s replacement but couldn't wait any longer. I have started getting into a little video. The D7000 is leaps and bounds better than the D90 in the video department. I am still deciding about the resolution in still photos - not totally happy - I think the D90 is sharper. I need to get the D7000 to the shop to tune it to my 300 f4 and a couple of other lenses. This camera has great high ISO.

6. Future? I am ready to take the leap to full frame DSLR. And I am in the market for a second hand underwater housing for the D90.
  • JasnomJasnom Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    most of my shooting is done with a D90.I have lots of glass.fav lens being the sig 10-20mm.I also shoot IR with my D50.I use the hoya IR filter for now,but will soon
    have the IR mod done to the sensor.
  • kudzukudzu Posts: 245 Deckhand
    I'm "old school digital". :) My main sports body a Nikon D2H. It's only a 4MP camera but it's an excellent body. It's hard to beat 8fps when trying to capture action. My wedding/portrait body is a D70. I love the color representation and image quality is awesome. I'm sure the newer bodies have made significant improvements since these were current models but I'll shoot 'em till they die. Unfortunately I've got about 75,000 images on the D2H and the shutter is dying. :( I'll have to pony up some cash for a new shutter before too long.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
    It depends on what your definition of "die", is.

Nikon will repair it as long as you own it....the question is will you want to?

IIRC, Nikon is getting something like $350US for the repair, then there is the shipping and insurance, of course.

While I can certainly appreciate your love of an old body, I submit, will the love be there when the repair cost(s) nearly justify an upgrade.
  • kudzukudzu Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Good points. I talked to the local repair shop and they quoted about $250 for a new shutter. I can't really justify the expense of replacing the D2H anymore. It was a $3500 body in its prime. Since I don't shoot professionally anymore I'll never drop that kind of coin again. I certainly can't justify a $5000+ D3 no matter how much I'd like it. I'm sure when the D70 dies I'll get a prosumer body again. I'll always despise the shutter lag on P&Ss as well as the inability to change lenses. But I don't really need 8fps for my kid's soccer games. :)
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt