Another HOT redfish bite YT 6/2

Decided we would brave out the forecast to go fish for a couple hours this morning. And really it was more of an experiment for me as I have never had good luck finding reds at low tide, so I wanted to just go try it now that I have a little more knowledge of what to look for. Well, that paid off. Mom tagged along on this trip after missing out on last week. Started out fishing some islands and working the outside waiting for the tide to drop all the way. Fished the outgoing for about an hour. My step dad caught a couple right at 22" that we invited home for dinner as my brother is coming in town this weekend. I lost a good one on a topwater, and mom caught a couple shorts there. Well, we worked over to another island and there was a school of fish pushing mullet around everywhere. So we focused on the school of mullet and man that paid off! I caught one at about 23" on the topwater plug and tossed him back to live another day. My step dad picked up a couple more shorts. Well, the school died down and we started working to another area. My mom was real quiet in the back of the boat and said she sees something. So she throws to it and sure enough, it's a nice 27" red! Her biggest to date.
image_9.jpg
After a quick measurement and weight the fish was released. Now the tide had kind of really slowed down and nothing was moving. So we worked into a new area and about that time the tide started moving and the fish were EVERYWHERE! Everywhere I looked there were reds, and good ones. But by now our trolling motor batteries were dying and it was making it kind of hard to fish. Need to get new ones soon. Started fishing again and they just wouldn't eat. I had a couple fish swipe at the plug but not like they were hungry. Well, kept working and had a HUGE blowup on the plug. Ended up being a nice over slot fish that devoured the plug!
image_10.jpg
Got the fish back in as quickly as I could and he swam off strong. Hopefully I'll see that one again. But by now the storms were really starting to brew offshore and we decided to call it quits. We accomplished what I wanted to and there really wasn't a need to take any chances with the thunderstorms, and after looking at the radar when we got home I'm glad we didn't risk it. Gonna go out again this weekend to try it again! Tight lines guys!
I also have a gopro video I'm editing that I will post in the comments when it's uploaded for those who watch those things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FdKpjRKp1o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    Nice. I'm itching to get back out there myself.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Holy Redfish Batman!!!!>>> What a great post S/O12!!! It makes me so happy to hear when other Forum Brothers & Sisters have awesome days like this!! That is one SLOB Yer Mom is holding and the other photo of (Not sure who?) is holding is one BIGHAID Red Fo Sho!!! Maybe Yer on to something there w/ the end of the outgoing and the beginning of the incoming tides and on a Full Bella Luna too??? Who'd have thunk it? Not I, thatz for sure!!! I'm really looking forward to yer Go-Pro Vid to see Y'all hauling them in!!! Thanks for posting!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    Thanks Snook Spanker! Im the one holding the other fish. And I didn't even know it was a full moon until I woke up this morning lol. It really was a good day! Video is uploading now.
  • dangskiffydangskiffy Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Very nice fish! I think it's safe to say you have an idea how to find reds at low tide! I have always had the opposite problem, couldn't find them at high tide.
    dangskiffy wrote: »
    Very nice fish! I think it's safe to say you have an idea how to find reds at low tide! I have always had the opposite problem, couldn't find them at high tide.

In my experiences at high tide I've noticed the fish scatter. They only really congregate together in certain spots. I mainly only sight fish on a high tide as we're throwing at single fish usually. So in a way I understand that lol.
    http://youtu.be/3FdKpjRKp1o
    There's the link to the video guys!
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Wow! That's a great day out there. You got it figured out. I'm sure the cloud cover helped. It always helps the topwater bite.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Cloud cover always helps on a topwater bite... Some very nice fish....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Way to get em' Adam! Nice scouting working work...it pays off!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Really nice outing! Overslot Reds are the bomb! I have a foot switch that you can mount anywhere (about $20) and a Pro-Control handle that mounts near the top of your trolling motor that you just push or pull to turn the motor (about $70 I think). These would allow you to work the motor standing in the boat, instead of perched on the edge. You can operate the motor hands free most of the time. I just push the Pro-control handle with my hip. Of course you are young........... I might fall off on a big Snook hit.
    Really nice outing! Overslot Reds are the bomb! I have a foot switch that you can mount anywhere (about $20) and a Pro-Control handle that mounts near the top of your trolling motor that you just push or pull to turn the motor (about $70 I think). These would allow you to work the motor standing in the boat, instead of perched on the edge. You can operate the motor hands free most of the time. I just push the Pro-control handle with my hip. Of course you are young........... I might fall off on a big Snook hit.

Yeah I've thought about getting the handle, usually I'm standing on top of the yeti up front but with the low light it didn't matter how high up I was. I just stand on the edge to give whoever is behind me a little more room lol. That edge is a little bigger than it looks in the video though. And believe me, I have had my share of "oh crap" moments up there haha!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,131 Moderator
    Good report , thanks.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mLuMaN83mLuMaN83 Posts: 108 Officer
    How are you fools finding these fish at low tide?! I can't catch a cold out there when the tide is going out! I have most luck at incoming. I get worried about getting stuck in there too.

You guys look to be farther north as well.

I think we need a Low/High tide thread...