Home Conservation Forums

Commercial license

NitzeyNitzey Posts: 232 Deckhand
I am basically retired. I am not really interested in generating a lot of income from fishing, but I would like to take advantage of the extra time I have and thought a commercial license might be just the ticket. I have talked to local FWC people, in person and by telephone, but they seem to not have a clear picture of what this would allow me to do. First if I hold a commercial license for three years, I can apply for a restricted species license and then sell (if I chose to do so) most species of fish. But my reading of the regulations is that I cannot fish for, say, amberjack or king mackerel without also having a restricted species license. Not even the recreational bag limit. So, what good would paying the extra for a commercial license do me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to clarify advantages and disadvantages.

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Check the FWC website at MyFWC.com
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,921 Admiral
    You need a Phd in Fisheries Management to understand the regulations!
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    You need a Phd in Fisheries Management to understand the regulations!

Not true. Most I know are crackers that didn't finish high school. They seem to do just fine with the regs.
    and then there are those that don't.............
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    Nitzey wrote: »
    I am basically retired. I am not really interested in generating a lot of income from fishing, but I would like to take advantage of the extra time I have and thought a commercial license might be just the ticket. I have talked to local FWC people, in person and by telephone, but they seem to not have a clear picture of what this would allow me to do. First if I hold a commercial license for three years, I can apply for a restricted species license and then sell (if I chose to do so) most species of fish. But my reading of the regulations is that I cannot fish for, say, amberjack or king mackerel without also having a restricted species license. Not even the recreational bag limit. So, what good would paying the extra for a commercial license do me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to clarify advantages and disadvantages.

Once you have Saltwater Products Licence ( which is open acess ) to qualify for a Saltwater Products Licence with a Restricted Species Endorsement you will need to sell 5000 thousand dollars of product or a certain amount of product and for hire income ( I'm not sure of exact ratio I belive its around 50/50). The problem becomes selling 5000 dollars of non restricted species which are fish that are mostly non regulated species like little tunny , blue runners etc. You can work for a commercial fisherman and he can sign an affidavit that you earned 5000 dollars pertaining to sale of product. Depending on where you are fishing your Saltwater Products Licence with a Restricted Species Endorsement becomes an ability to sell rather than an ability to harvest Licence. For most species in state waters a Saltwater Products Licence with a Restricted Species Endorsement is a companion Licence to federal permits in order to harvest and sell fish at commercial limits.

If you can be more specific as to what you want to commercially fish for and where you will be fishing I can provide further information.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,382 AG
    What do you want to target and sell?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • West EnderWest Ender Posts: 145 Officer
    And if you want to sell IFQ fish don't forget
    Gulf Reef Permit, you have to find a private individual with one or go through a broker
    Wholesale Dealer License so you can check your self in and give yourself a DL number
    Retail License
    VMS for boat
    Lease or buy allocations of IFQ fish
    Just to name a few more things
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 232 Deckhand
    West Ender wrote: »
    And if you want to sell IFQ fish don't forget
    Gulf Reef Permit, you have to find a private individual with one or go through a broker
    Wholesale Dealer License so you can check your self in and give yourself a DL number
    Retail License
    VMS for boat
    Lease or buy allocations of IFQ fishou
    Just to name a few more things

I know this can get complicated. My primary objective is to take advantage of the extra time I have, being retired, to catch more fish. If I eventually sold some, to help pay for expenses, that would be nice; but not essential. You would think this should be straightforward, and as someone mentioned, some commercial fishermen barely have a high school education. (I remember a friend of mine fondly describing her commercial fisherman son as being as bright as a box of rocks) The last thing I want to do is to get into an argument with the FWC.
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    I know this can get complicated. My primary objective is to take advantage of the extra time I have, being retired, to catch more fish. If I eventually sold some, to help pay for expenses, that would be nice; but not essential. You would think this should be straightforward, and as someone mentioned, some commercial fishermen barely have a high school education. (I remember a friend of mine fondly describing her commercial fisherman son as being as bright as a box of rocks) The last thing I want to do is to get into an argument with the FWC.

Wow! In your first post you state you asked FWC a few questions as to the requirements to be able to engage in commercial fishing. FWC could not give you a clear answer to your questions. You then go on to question the the intellect of commercial fisherman who have the ability to comprehend the rules and regulations that neither you or FWC can figure out. I wonder what colloquialism your friend would use describe the intelligence of you and the FWC.
    I'll make this real simple!
    What do want to catch and sell?
    Where will you be fishing?
    In order to answer your original question, that information will be required.
  • West EnderWest Ender Posts: 145 Officer

If it was easy every retired guy like yourself would be doing it. Well its not easy and be ready to fork out about 20 grand to start your little operation, not including boat and tackle. Then there is the weekly trail of paperwork whether you catch fish or not. Oh and when you give your 3 hour landing notification expect a visit at the ramp from FWC to check your catch, if you get the right guy you could be there for another hour or so. I am in no way trying to discourage you but it's not as easy as you think.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,382 AG
    What do you want to sell?

Species?

I typed it real slow for you,
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 232 Deckhand
    West Ender wrote: »
    If it was easy every retired guy like yourself would be doing it. Well its not easy and be ready to fork out about 20 grand to start your little operation, not including boat and tackle. Then there is the weekly trail of paperwork whether you catch fish or not. Oh and when you give your 3 hour landing notification expect a visit at the ramp from FWC to check your catch, if you get the right guy you could be there for another hour or so. I am in no way trying to discourage you but it's not as easy as you think.

Okay. I think I give up. I really do not care if I ever sold anything. My primary goal was to fish for more species than recreational fishermen, and if I had to pay for a special license, no problem. But not twenty grand or anything like that.
    ???? recreational fishermen can target all species that commercial fishermen target in Florida.........
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    And to give you a little tip....most Commerical fisherman dislike retired gold rush fisherman comming in and causing problems...we don't own the water, but we started fishing at a young age, have everything vested in our vocation.
    We look at water beaters as a pest at best.
    Most people who retire have a fall back income during the bad weather or south tide, ect..
    We don't...all we do is fish...we don't have a fall back plan...maybe dad and mom left one or two of us a trust fund or something like that, but that isn't the norm at all....
    I have long since stopped Commerical fishing, but the passion is still there....I know what my poor brothers and sisters go through every day...and of course there are some scum bags as well.....they generally get found out or some misfortune catches up with those type...tight group of rugged indivuals, the last of the self made men or woman....the last of the true American spirit...
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,293 Officer
    What your not thinking about is the fact that you would be starting a legal business. With running a business comes paperwork and added expenses. I would assume your insurance company will need to be informed your boat is no longer recreational. Now you also will have to file a tax return for your business. You will need to be able to back all your deductions up with receipts. You don't just buy a commercial license and then sell a couple fish everyday to your local bar or restaurant at retail prices. You sell wholesale to licensed dealers.
  • Even the guys who do it for a living have trouble keeping up with the laws as they can change by the day.

Leave it to the guys who put in their time!
    Even the guys who do it for a living have trouble keeping up with the laws as they can change by the day.

Leave it to the guys who put in their time!

:Agree
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer

after trying both in FL. and MD. to do what you describe , I believe it would be easier to obtain a license for me to operate a nuclear power plant in my back yard..