Hoo's Your Daddy?

kitesfrkitesfr Posts: 356 Officer
Hoo's your Daddy? Those of you from Indiana (Hoosiers) will understand the meaning of that!

Brian and I went out off Gulfstream yesterday 5/30/15. We left at around 0545 and tried the live bait for a while, as well as jigging. The current was not ripping and the live bait bite was non-existent. We had nice gogs swimming around and no takers :shrug we slowly drifted towards the inlet and started picking up a few hits on the jig in 250+ got a couple small tunas in the boat by about 0900. As we passed the inlet, I hooked into something that made my reel scream pretty good. I felt a bit of a head shake, so I thought I had a big big bonie. He kept taking line and giving me a little back. I finally got a glimpse of it and thought I saw stripes!!! Well, after a few more smoking runs, I finally had him tired enough to spear him with a Hawaiian cage gaff. I was happy when he was in the boat! I have had issues with the gaff shot in the past!

Well, we kept drifting, all jacked up on adrenaline from my very first Hoo from the yak! I figured it had to happen eventually :cool: We kept jigging, and BAM! Another screaming fish that turned out to be a Jumbo! Brian got a few nice tuna and we drifted all the way to the breakers.
All in all a great day on the water and much better seas than predicted! Cheers :beer
Fair winds and following seas!

Replies

• WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Congrats on the hoo - awesome day of jigging!
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Great catches!! Looked great out there. Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice Hoo :Rockon
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Way to go Paul. Got one nice tuna today at Dania and a $20 bill in the parking lot.
  • kitesfrkitesfr Posts: 356 Officer
    Sweet! What's with the $20,
    just laying around?
    Nice way to end the day Andy!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Congratulations, Good report, and nice photos. Thanks.
    Android77 wrote: »
    Way to go Paul. Got one nice tuna today at Dania and a $20 bill in the parking lot.

Parking at Dania is a rip. If you fish alot off the beach there, it might be worth your while to invest in an annual pass for the state parks.
    You can buy it at the gate booth at John Lloyds, and it will allow you free access into all the state parks. It costs around $60 for a year, and there are some good beach launch areas just south of the P.E. jetty, plus the ramp on the inside for when it is too windy offshore and you want to try your luck at inshore ICW species.
  • Eric6708Eric6708 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Nice hoo and tuna, congrats!
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Sweet!
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Solid paul! Finally got a hoo
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    Parking at Dania is a rip. If you fish alot off the beach there, it might be worth your while to invest in an annual pass for the state parks.
    You can buy it at the gate booth at John Lloyds, and it will allow you free access into all the state parks. It costs around $60 for a year, and there are some good beach launch areas just south of the P.E. jetty, plus the ramp on the inside for when it is too windy offshore and you want to try your luck at inshore ICW species.

I called John Lloyd, they said no entry until the park opens at 8am. Even with the jetty fishing pass, it was "fishing from the jetty only".
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Nice catch buddy!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    Congrats Paul!! Hmu, have to go out one of these weekends.
  • BOGEYBOGEY Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    What did you catch the wahoo with??
    quatin wrote: »
    I called John Lloyd, they said no entry until the park opens at 8am. Even with the jetty fishing pass, it was "fishing from the jetty only".

Unless they just changed the rules ? Who ever you talked to did not know their stuff, if you have the pass you are allowed in 1 hour prior to sunrise for launching boats. I have a pass and have used it a few times early, as well as for several afternooners. furthermore, for jetty fishing, you are allowed to fish the jetty all night. I have not tried that, but that is what I was told when I bought the pass plus free access to all the other state parks...I think the one exception was the sunshine skyway bridge, not free, but discounted.
    BOGEY wrote: »
    What did you catch the wahoo with??

Vortex Jig
    Congrats Paul!! Hmu, have to go out one of these weekends.

Lets do it! Lot's of fish out there now!
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Awesome job Paul...
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 537 Officer
    Nice fish. Thanks for sharing.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune