kings out of steinhatchee...

How has the king bite been as of late out of Steinhatchee? What are the best baits there and where is the best spots to catch those baits??

Replies

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,430 AG
    red010480 wrote: »
    How has the king bite been as of late out of Steinhatchee? What are the best baits there and where is the best spots to catch those baits??

You have a lot of views and no replies. I don't think a lot of people target kings in the gulf. I used to, but retired to fishing inshore mostly. We used to have an awesome king run in the spring and fall off the Big Bend, not sure what the status is anymore. They migrate and perhaps they are now in 30-40 feet of water as the temperatures rise. Baits can be as simple as drone spoons or trolled dead cigar minnows. Better still, sabiki up some threadfins or cigar minnows and slow troll them over good live bottom. We had some days where we caught 20 or more a day. Mostly snakes, but occasionally you'll get a smoker over 30 pounds. That will get your motor running! They are awesome on the smoker..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 918 Officer
    Haven't gotten any this year and by this time we've ussually gotten a couple, we catch then trolling stretch 30
  • red010480red010480 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    navigator2 wrote: »
    You have a lot of views and no replies. I don't think a lot of people target kings in the gulf. I used to, but retired to fishing inshore mostly. We used to have an awesome king run in the spring and fall off the Big Bend, not sure what the status is anymore. They migrate and perhaps they are now in 30-40 feet of water as the temperatures rise. Baits can be as simple as drone spoons or trolled dead cigar minnows. Better still, sabiki up some threadfins or cigar minnows and slow troll them over good live bottom. We had some days where we caught 20 or more a day. Mostly snakes, but occasionally you'll get a smoker over 30 pounds. That will get your motor running! They are awesome on the smoker..

I actually fish the Southern Kingfish Association trail with a team on the Ga coast and have fished for them around Biloxi, Ms, and Panama City, Fl. But never really out of Steinhatchee. I know we usually use anything from mullet, blue runners is the beast, goggle eyes as well as pogies. I am just not sure what kind of bait is available in this area and possible spots to get it.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    I talked to someone who was catching them south of there in 30-40 ft. with downrigger, drone spoon, and plugs. That was a few weeks ago so they should be there.
    10/4. Think I will try to find some live bottom and see what I can jig for bait. I will be using top lines as well as down riggers... Maybe will have some picts tomorrow night after I get in from giving it a go.
    red010480 wrote: »
    I actually fish the Southern Kingfish Association trail with a team on the Ga coast and have fished for them around Biloxi, Ms, and Panama City, Fl. But never really out of Steinhatchee. I know we usually use anything from mullet, blue runners is the beast, goggle eyes as well as pogies. I am just not sure what kind of bait is available in this area and possible spots to get it.

My entire family (4 brothers) used to fish the SKA Trail in the 90's through about 2008. (NE Division). We qualified and fished both Biloxi and Ft Pierce during nationals, one brother fished it in NC one year. Lots of fun, but the actual fishing can be very boring and very expensive. We fished the Big Bend for fun, action much better than the east coast. But that was several years ago. Blue runners make great baits like you said especially if you cut the tail to slow them down a little, they are all over the place if you don't. The bigger fish seem to like the deeper water (30-40 ft) for whatever reason, I suspect it's cooler and depends on where bait is holding too.

I haven't heard any reports this year, some years they bypass the area on their way back and to the LA delta down to the Keys. Either that or they skirt the area far offshore in the 60 to 70 foot depths. There were some great years where they were in 15-20 foot of water off Horseshoe, Spotty Bottom, and Seahorse Reef. Short ride and lots of fish in spring and fall. In the summers most were incidental catches in deep water trolling for grouper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well.... Here is my report. fact #1, the weather man was WRONG. it was suppose to be about 1 foot. It was more like 3-sometimes 5 feet on about 3 seconds. Seas were very confused as well. Made it out to about 40 feet or so and honestly did not stay there long. came back in to about 28 feet and got on some bottom that was apparently covered with blue runners. All we could catch besides 2 grunts were blue runners. I did see 1 school of spanish, but by far the worst day I have had out of Steinhatchee. According to the nice FWC officer at the dock that is how pretty much everyones luck was yesterday out of there. I have only been out of Steinhatchee offshore 3 times since last years red tide issues. I was very skeptical of the true damage that was done to the fishing area was minimal. The last 3 trips that I have made now makes me believe that the damage is real. As on many many trips from here prior to the red tide issues I could count on a great day of fishing. The first time or 2 I was just questioning me... but maybe its not so much me. Or is it???
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 918 Officer
    To me steinhatchee seems to be affected worse than down south and yea don't know whats going on with noaa but lately they can't seem to get it right
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    I moved here from Tampa 18 years ago and did quite a bit of king fishing there Started some near shore fishing in 15-25 feet out of Yankeetown and Waccasassa Bay about 8 years ago. We caught kings in Waccasassa Bay. We caught them all summer long from three to 15 miles out of Yankeetown. Huge bait schools chased by Spanish and king mackerel. In the last four years this activity has darn near evaporated. Yesterday we were out in 21 feet and the trip out and back....not one single bait pod. We saw a few small ones last month but that's been it. Local Spanish are here and there but the big schools of mackerel are not around. Maybe it's a migration change that will change again. I don't know. I hope it's not anything permanent from the oil leak. BTW my favorite bait for kings....blue runner on a flat line...second....Bomber trolling plug red and white. The smoker below was caught out of Yankeetown.....
    cthurow wrote: »
    I moved here from Tampa 18 years ago and did quite a bit of king fishing there Started some near shore fishing in 15-25 feet out of Yankeetown and Waccasassa Bay about 8 years ago. We caught kings in Waccasassa Bay. We caught them all summer long from three to 15 miles out of Yankeetown. Huge bait schools chased by Spanish and king mackerel. In the last four years this activity has darn near evaporated. Yesterday we were out in 21 feet and the trip out and back....not one single bait pod. We saw a few small ones last month but that's been it. Local Spanish are here and there but the big schools of mackerel are not around. Maybe it's a migration change that will change again. I don't know. I hope it's not anything permanent from the oil leak. BTW my favorite bait for kings....blue runner on a flat line...second....Bomber trolling plug red and white. The smoker below was caught out of Yankeetown.....

Hopefully it is just a cyclical thing and not something ominous. The bait schools have been suspiciously absent for about 3-4 years, much like you attested to. A friend of mine who used to be a much decorated member of the GOSFC who with his dad won just about every category you can imagine from inshore to offshore told me something a few weeks ago that might bear thinking about. He is also a licensed charter captain now. He thinks that the Horizon incident might be the culprit for a lot of our problems. The odd part is that he believes it wasn't the actual spill, that happens more than you think. He believes the dispersant deployed screwed up the entire Gulf of Mexico and did more harm than help. When you actually think about it, man trying to help nature rarely works out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Hopefully it is just a cyclical thing and not something ominous. The bait schools have been suspiciously absent for about 3-4 years, much like you attested to. A friend of mine who used to be a much decorated member of the GOSFC who with his dad won just about every category you can imagine from inshore to offshore told me something a few weeks ago that might bear thinking about. He is also a licensed charter captain now. He thinks that the Horizon incident might be the culprit for a lot of our problems. The odd part is that he believes it wasn't the actual spill, that happens more than you think. He believes the dispersant deployed screwed up the entire Gulf of Mexico and did more harm than help. When you actually think about it, man trying to help nature rarely works out.

Kings be a chewing. Might post a photo sometime in the next week or so. One week rule. :grin

Just a report I got with very good photo verification. I'm going to guess the bait fish are back and with a vengeance. That is good news for every species.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]