Gulf gag grouper no longer overfished

2»

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,869 Admiral
    Riptide31 wrote: »
    Why is all this kept such a secret? You'd think if they met and decided something about public policy, that they'd post it on their website, send out an email........nah.
    I brought this up on the forum in February about the ACT being raised.

It's no secret.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Then where is it posted on the gulf councils website? Unless youre their official spokesman..............
    Then where is it posted on the gulf councils website? Unless youre their official spokesman..............
    *you're

Took me maybe 55 seconds..
    http://sedarweb.org/docs/sar/SEDAR%2033%20SAR-%20Gag%20Stock%20Assessment%20Report%20FINAL_sizereduced.pdf

You're welcome.

And i'm just a **** commercial fisherman.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Now just go from there
    Let me tell you what you can do with your apostrophes. I think its absolutely hilarious that you posted that info, and it was not even what I was talking about. That old document was from March of last year. So, I hate to crush your thoughts of self superiority and infinite wisdom, but I wasnt even asking about minimum size limits. And putting up a link to a 609 page document that is over one year old really isnt helpful. Most of us dont spend the majority of our time being a troll on this forum, and wouldnt have time to read that POS anyway.

I was asking about the decision of the council from the latest meeting regarding action 1 (Bubba said they left it unchanged) and action 2 (length of the season). I really couldnt care any less about the min size. Its no problem to catch as many 30 inch gags as you want, there is such an overabundance. My point was that after one of these glorified council meetings, they should just send a summary email about their major decisions, or post a few sentences on their website. But that doesnt happen. (Or if they do its not in a timely fashion )
    It is a **** shame that on this forum, a person cannot ask a simple, sincere question without a troll like you attacking them. I am at a loss to explain why the mods have not banned you yet. It seems everywhere you go, an argument follows.
    Now, is there any other useless, unrelated info or links you would like to share with the rest of us? I sure hope so. I cannot wait to see you make a fool of yourself one more time.
    Here is the correct info for those who want to know.
    Gag Recreational Seasons
    During its June meeting the Council reviewed a framework action that considers adjusting the annual catch limits (ACL), annual catch targets (ACT), and recreational season for gag. Due to both scientific and anecdotal information that the gag stock may have declined in recent years, the Council decided to move Action 1, which deals with potential changes to the ACL and ACT, to the considered but rejected section of the document, and to retain the existing ACL of 3.12 million pounds.

For Action 2 - Modifications to the Gag Fishing Season - the Council is looking at a range of alternatives, including removing the January through June gag seasonal closure. The Council's current preferred alternative would remove the December 3-31 fixed closed season. So the recreational gag season would remain open through the end of the year or until it is estimated that the ACT will be reached sooner. This alternative, if approved, would take effect in the 2016 season.

The Council also asked staff to develop alternatives for review during the August Council meeting that considers increasing the minimum size limit of gag and black grouper to 24 inches.
  • BubbaIIBubbaII Posts: 328 Deckhand
    markw4321 wrote: »
    Bubba

Your back from a trip out "west" How was the Key West council meeting? Roy doing ok? Lmao

LMAO is right. Key West is not west of me. Oregon is, and that is one long airplane ride!

riptide....... you don't think that sending out a bulletin (that you've quoted) 4 working days after a meeting isn't timely, and that its been secretive? I'm sure getting a bulletin out about what went down last week isn't the only thing on that lady's (Emily?) plate. But 4 working days later is pretty good. As to secretive, its been on every reef fish committee agenda since last August.

Agenda item from Aug. 2014
    IV. Gag OFL and ABC
    a. SSC recommendations (Tab B, No. 4) – SSC representative
    b. ACL/ACT control rule recommendations (Tab B, No.5) – Atran
    c. Committee recommendations for framework action – Riechers

Agenda item from Oct. 2014
    VIII. Gag OFL and ABC – SSC representative
    a. SSC recommendations (Tab B, No. 16 and Tab B, No. 17a, b) – SSC representative
    b. ACL/ACT control rule recommendations (Tab B, No. 18) – Atran
    c. Committee recommendations – Riechers

Agenda item from Jan. 2015
    V. Reevaluation of Gag OFL and ABC for 2015-16
    a. SSC recommendations (Tab B, No. 4) – Patterson
    b. ACL/ACT control rule recommendations (Tab B, No. 6a,b) - Atran
    c. Committee recommendations – Greene

Agenda item from Apr. 2015
    VI. Options Paper – Framework Action to Adjust Gag ACL and Season (Tab B, No. 6) – Atran

Agenda item from June 2015
    VII.Options Paper – Framework Action to set Gag ACL and Recreational Seasona.Recent Trends in Gag CPUE indices (Tab B, No. 5) – SSC representativeb.Review of Options Paper and Decision Spreadsheet (Tab B, No. 6a,b and c) –Atran c.Committee recommendations– Greene
    abovebored wrote: »
    Aint it funny how nooa requires dealers to electronically report landings right away but typically doesn't update their website for many weeks if not months. Go figure.

Sounds like you're mixing and matching. Commercial dealers report a few days after the end of every week, and those numbers go up within another week. The SERO web site has commercial landings posted thru Jun. 4; I'd guess those numbers will be updated this week. On the other hand, recreational landings take weeks/months to be reported. SERO doesn't even has Wave 1 (Jan.-Feb.) on their site, and its the middle of June.
    Let me tell you what you can do with your apostrophes. I think its absolutely hilarious that you posted that info, and it was not even what I was talking about. That old document was from March of last year. So, I hate to crush your thoughts of self superiority and infinite wisdom, but I wasnt even asking about minimum size limits. And putting up a link to a 609 page document that is over one year old really isnt helpful. Most of us dont spend the majority of our time being a troll on this forum, and wouldnt have time to read that POS anyway.

I was asking about the decision of the council from the latest meeting regarding action 1 (Bubba said they left it unchanged) and action 2 (length of the season). I really couldnt care any less about the min size. Its no problem to catch as many 30 inch gags as you want, there is such an overabundance. My point was that after one of these glorified council meetings, they should just send a summary email about their major decisions, or post a few sentences on their website. But that doesnt happen. (Or if they do its not in a timely fashion )
    It is a **** shame that on this forum, a person cannot ask a simple, sincere question without a troll like you attacking them. I am at a loss to explain why the mods have not banned you yet. It seems everywhere you go, an argument follows.
    Now, is there any other useless, unrelated info or links you would like to share with the rest of us? I sure hope so. I cannot wait to see you make a fool of yourself one more time.
    It was the latest stock assessment and said assessment was responsible for the ACT being raised.
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood your request, however I didn't misunderstand your insinuation of some type of secrecy/cover up and just responded in kind.
    BubbaII wrote: »
    LMAO is right. Key West is not west of me. Oregon is, and that is one long airplane ride!

riptide....... you don't think that sending out a bulletin (that you've quoted) 4 working days after a meeting isn't timely, and that its been secretive? I'm sure getting a bulletin out about what went down last week isn't the only thing on that lady's (Emily?) plate. But 4 working days later is pretty good. As to secretive, its been on every reef fish committee agenda since last August.

Agenda item from Aug. 2014
    IV. Gag OFL and ABC
    a. SSC recommendations (Tab B, No. 4) – SSC representative
    b. ACL/ACT control rule recommendations (Tab B, No.5) – Atran
    c. Committee recommendations for framework action – Riechers

Agenda item from Oct. 2014
    VIII. Gag OFL and ABC – SSC representative
    a. SSC recommendations (Tab B, No. 16 and Tab B, No. 17a, b) – SSC representative
    b. ACL/ACT control rule recommendations (Tab B, No. 18) – Atran
    c. Committee recommendations – Riechers

Agenda item from Jan. 2015
    V. Reevaluation of Gag OFL and ABC for 2015-16
    a. SSC recommendations (Tab B, No. 4) – Patterson
    b. ACL/ACT control rule recommendations (Tab B, No. 6a,b) - Atran
    c. Committee recommendations – Greene

Agenda item from Apr. 2015
    VI. Options Paper – Framework Action to Adjust Gag ACL and Season (Tab B, No. 6) – Atran

Agenda item from June 2015
    VII.Options Paper – Framework Action to set Gag ACL and Recreational Seasona.Recent Trends in Gag CPUE indices (Tab B, No. 5) – SSC representativeb.Review of Options Paper and Decision Spreadsheet (Tab B, No. 6a,b and c) –Atran c.Committee recommendations– Greene

Riptide:

I'll retract my reference to you saying this was secretive. I read it as "no one has even told us gag was up for consideration". That was not correct as to what you asked. You were simply asking what happened in Key West, and then answered your own question - they provided that answer Thurs.

My apologies.
2»