New to Forum

Pretty cool stockpile of info. 126 pages of threads in the big bend alone. Should have joined sooner.

Anyone out of Archer or Gainesville? I fish mostly Cedar Key, but range from Barge Canal to Steinhatchee. Also do some fishing on the East Coast from Jax to Daytona... just interested in how many folks do like I do and run both coasts?

Replies

• StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    I run both coasts. But if I'm going east coast it's usually mosquito lagoon or Indian River. Welcome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing
  • mLuMaN83mLuMaN83 Posts: 108 Officer
    Welcome.

G'ville here. Lots of Gainesville folks here. I tend to stay on the left coast. Much easier drive and the fishing is just world class.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 957 Officer
    Welcome, old town here, fish outta horseshoe offshore mostly, been wanting to go to the east coast, seems like they're catching alot of dolphin just don't know anything about over there, where to get bait, were to put in ect
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,545 Captain
    Welcome, I fish Homosassa and Jacksonville, St. Augustine.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    Every now and then I'll hit the east coast but it's crowded over there. I like having my flats nearly to myself :)
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 140 Deckhand
    I run both coasts. East Coast from Palm Coast to Pine Island area. Gulf side from Rockassassa to Steinhatchee. Like Jim311 said, ICW can get crowded. During the week is best if you can manage it. ICW has some fine fishes as well (trout in avatar is an example), particularly flounders. I'm looking to try trolling the ditch at night with some plugs for Tarpon this summer:hairraiser. I have never tried it but I have heard it can be done.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Posts: 63 Deckhand
    More than I figured... glad to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to drive a couple hours to fish.

Never tried trolling for tarpon... let me know how that works out.

Anyone a member of the Gainesville Fishing Club?
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Rick1-2 wrote: »
    Welcome, old town here, fish outta horseshoe offshore mostly, been wanting to go to the east coast, seems like they're catching alot of dolphin just don't know anything about over there, where to get bait, were to put in ect

We've done a lot of surf fishing near Matanzas (east), offshore out of Cedar Key for grouper mostly and some out of Homosassa and CR for grouper and the occasional king , offshore out of Stuart for dolphin and kings, and Islamorada from Tavernier to Lower Matecumbe primarily for dolphin. Traded the offshore boat for a kayak, now learning the inshore and nearshore stuff near CR...and really, really enjoying it.

ps - Dolphin are aggressive eaters - there is no big trick to catching them if they are around. If you go out of Stuart, be careful running in and out of the inlet (St. Lucie). Bait is usually plentiful with chum and sabiki or chum and cast net once you learn the bottom a little. I'd recommend buying rigged ballyhoo at first and adding a skirt. If you don't have outriggers, troll flat lines from the stern. In Islamorada, besides trolling for dolphin - tie up to a mooring buoy along the reef edge at night with chum, cut bait and long leaders for a fun time with yellowtail - yum!

btw, if you do go to the Keys - there's a brand new dredge with beautiful sparkly fishes that was a birthday gift from me to mr gl resting on the bottom in about 240' of water just off Tavernier. First and last time we used it he tossed it off the stern and forgot to tie it off. :cry If you find it you can keep it!
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Welcome aboard, lots of fine folks here and remember we like pictures...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    btw, if you do go to the Keys - there's a brand new dredge with beautiful sparkly fishes that was a birthday gift from me to mr gl resting on the bottom in about 240' of water just off Tavernier. First and last time we used it he tossed it off the stern and forgot to tie it off. :cry If you find it you can keep it!

Just got back . Didn't see it :grin

Welcome aboard , looking forward to your posts !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Welcome to the Big Bend area......yes, lots of fishing......I go between Crystal River and Hudson depending on the weather forecasts, with the occasional trip to Steinhatchee, and yes we like lots of pictures if you have them....of whatever....lol.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Welcome, I'm a GOFC member. There are a couple other guys on here also. I'm still getting to know most them though. I've been going to the monthly meetings for about a year and a half now I guess. I learn quite a bit from them.
    This forum is a great place to learn and network with likeminded guys also. I've met some good friends that I fish with regularly here.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    capt louie wrote: »
    Just got back . Didn't see it :grin

Dang it! Somebody musta beat ya to it!!

While there, see anything 'colorful' on the end of your line? :grin
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    Dang it! Somebody musta beat ya to it!!

While there, see anything 'colorful' on the end of your line? :grin

Yes.. Some old stinky green fish when I couldn't get the other kind.

20150524_152721_zps4iyn1pxv.jpg
    "You'll get your weather"