**** Bay in the Everglades National Park

tnolaninctnolaninc Posts: 94 Deckhand
Just got my new Feel free Lure 11.5, took her out to **** Bay in the Everglades National Park on Sunday. I picked up the Lure 11.5 because i wanted to be able to stand and cast. The lure definitely is a great platform for standing and casting. Was able to land a decent micro-**** in the morning on a hand tied fly, jumped maybe 5 more on artificial Z man baits rigged weedless and on a DOA 1/8 jig, Landed 4 snook one of decent size.
I can no longer say I've never been in the drink any more, my first and probably not my last time. Hooked a tarpon, took me in the mangroves and was stuck, went in to get him out, one rod fell in the drink, I went for it, and i ended up in the mud and lost my Costa glasses. But, I'm glad it happened because I was able to just hop right back in with no issues at all. The Stability on the lure is amazing. After drifting the whole morning i decided it was time to cross the bay, the wind had picked up so I got to see what it was like to paddle this yak. The lure is a bit slow but I wasn't unhappy with paddling it. I saw a guy in his pro angler zoom by me at the hardest part of the paddle and it stung a bit but I have to say I'm satisfied overall with the lure. If I decide to upgrade my second Yak I may Go for the Jackson we will see.
It's my fist time posting up a review on the forum but I definitely came here and read other stories and it was helpful for me when I was just thinking about getting a fishing Kayak. So thanks and enjoy

Tommy

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice tarpon and snook. Great report, keep them coming:Rockon.
  • RizanglerRizangler Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Great report. Congrats on your first yak and handling the swim call so well. That mud is deep! Welcome to the form!!!:fishing
    20' Blue Wave
    12' Hobie Outback
    13' Native Slayer Propel
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Officer
    Very nice!! I've never been down there but planning on going to ENP tomorrow morning. Anyone have an opinion on what's best this time of the year, this **** Bay, West Lake or Flamingo and/or Snake Bight?
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Nice report, thanks.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,298 Moderator
    Nice pics and report. Also, yes, falling in is indeed a rite of passage :grin
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 537 Officer
    Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing. How did you get to **** Bay?
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing. How did you get to **** Bay?
    Launch at **** Bay Pond and go through the tunnel, bit of a tight fit for bigger yaks/canoes. You can also get there via Buttonwood Canal, but that's 3 miles I believe.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 502 Officer
    Nice ride and photos.
  • tnolaninctnolaninc Posts: 94 Deckhand
    I went through **** bay pond. It's really cool mangrove tunnel that opens up into **** bay. As soon as you enter the bay you can hear the snook popping and the tarpon rolling. The bugs are pretty ruff so be prepared.
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 537 Officer
    Thanks. I've got a Hobie PA14. Would that be a tight fit through the mangrove tunnel?
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • 1simplemann1simplemann Posts: 200 Deckhand
    tnolaninc wrote: »
    Just got my new Feel free Lure 11.5, took her out to **** Bay in the Everglades National Park on Sunday. I picked up the Lure 11.5 because i wanted to be able to stand and cast. The lure definitely is a great platform for standing and casting. Was able to land a decent micro-**** in the morning on a hand tied fly, jumped maybe 5 more on artificial Z man baits rigged weedless and on a DOA 1/8 jig, Landed 4 snook one of decent size.
    I can no longer say I've never been in the drink any more, my first and probably not my last time. Hooked a tarpon, took me in the mangroves and was stuck, went in to get him out, one rod fell in the drink, I went for it, and i ended up in the mud and lost my Costa glasses. But, I'm glad it happened because I was able to just hop right back in with no issues at all. The Stability on the lure is amazing. After drifting the whole morning i decided it was time to cross the bay, the wind had picked up so I got to see what it was like to paddle this yak. The lure is a bit slow but I wasn't unhappy with paddling it. I saw a guy in his pro angler zoom by me at the hardest part of the paddle and it stung a bit but I have to say I'm satisfied overall with the lure. If I decide to upgrade my second Yak I may Go for the Jackson we will see.
    It's my fist time posting up a review on the forum but I definitely came here and read other stories and it was helpful for me when I was just thinking about getting a fishing Kayak. So thanks and enjoy

Tommy
    Congrats on the ****! I'm envious. Sorry about your Costa's! It sucks watching your glasses go in the drink. Ask me how I know! A $10 floating neck strap will solve that. I've lost a couple a pairs.
  • tnolaninctnolaninc Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Thanks. I've got a Hobie PA14. Would that be a tight fit through the mangrove tunnel?

I've seen PA 12 run through no issue, just use half your paddle and your good, its worth it its a great spot, and thanks!!
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    That's a great looking spot, I'll have to put that on the bucket trip list.
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • lucluc Posts: 245 Officer

You should be fine with half paddle^

There is 1 specific branch you need to crossover that has a small stub pointing up, if you catch the wrong time/tide it can get stuck in your scupper hole. Its happen to me.

Its long overdue/overgrown for a chainsaw touch up. Especially the entrance itself.