High end cooler recommendation

sandypossum89sandypossum89 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Well the time has finally come for me to start cooler shopping again. The bottom of my old 70 Qt Coleman has finally rubbed comepletely off :cry. I want something of comparable size that is going to hold ice as long as possible. A long term warranty (10+ years) would also be nice so i only have to dish out a small fortune once. But there are so many companies out there now making rotomolded coolers. I really like the handles on the Igloo Yukons but have heard not so good things about ice retention. Yetis seem to be overrated engle too. Grizzly, Orca, pelican, icey tek, K2 they all seem good does anyone have any experience with them? :huh

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,332 Moderator
    frigid rigid can also be added to the list.

It breaks down to materials.
    The roto- plastics are susceptible to UV degradation over time and they tend to wear out at the feet.
    The fiberglass ones are heavy and tend to be pricey.
    They will all insulate your drinks for a day. My experience on the ability to keep ice for Days, is its directly related to the number of times the lid is opened.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • LB200LB200 Posts: 298 Officer
    I have two Yeti's..one was free (45 Qt.) and the other cost me about $100 (65qt). They are nice coolers but I honestly cannot say I would spend the real retail value for them if I needed a new one. I find them to be a little heavy for general use but they hold ice like crazy!
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,404 Captain
    i have one that i got at a great price. otherwise i would not spend the money on one. There are other coolers that are more affordable and work great. will they hold ice for 7 days probably not but i have never had to go that long without getting more ice
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 722 Officer
    It all depends on how you are going to use the cooler. I don't know if the high end coolers are worth it for day trips. There are a lot of arguments that a standard cooler can do a one day trip just as well. Some of the standard coolers have made some pretty good improvements over the last ten years. I thought about getting a Yeti hard cooler myself but when I look at the price, the added weight, the lower capacity for the size and the good chance of it being stolen if I ever let it sit somewhere, I figured I would have to buy an awful lot of ice before I would see any payback on the cost.

Good luck on your purchase.
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    rehartline wrote: »
    It all depends on how you are going to use the cooler. I don't know if the high end coolers are worth it for day trips. There are a lot of arguments that a standard cooler can do a one day trip just as well. Some of the standard coolers have made some pretty good improvements over the last ten years. I thought about getting a Yeti hard cooler myself but when I look at the price, the added weight, the lower capacity for the size and the good chance of it being stolen if I ever let it sit somewhere, I figured I would have to buy an awful lot of ice before I would see any payback on the cost.

Good luck on your purchase.

I love my Yeti for the simple fact that I use it as a casting platform on the front of my boat. Yeti does make locks for the coolers, and tie downs. However, if you are only going to try and hold ice, and not stand on it, the other cooler companies would probably work as well.
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,511 Moderator
    I fish mainly offshore and have two IGLOO Marine Elite. Roller 110 qt. coolers. They run about $165.00 from west marine, they do go on sale from time to time. They work for me just fine for at the end of a 14hr. day bait will still be frozen. I use blocks of solid ice, it lasts for days. Wheels make it easy to take fish to the cleaning station. Standing on them is no problem.. How long will they last??? The material seems to be very heavy duty, stainless hardware for hinges and latches. They are in the sun all day every day, I treat them with Bass Pro vinyl and plastic protectant. They are a couple of years old and still look new.
    Just my TWO cents.
    larrywitt
  • Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    I have two Yeti's and would not buy anything else. Yes they are heavy but hold up to all kinds of abuse. I always use mine as a casting platform and they hold ice like nothing I've ever owned.
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 997 Officer
    gumgator wrote: »
    I love my Yeti for the simple fact that I use it as a casting platform on the front of my boat. Yeti does make locks for the coolers, and tie downs. However, if you are only going to try and hold ice, and not stand on it, the other cooler companies would probably work as well.

:Agree I do exactly the same thing with the Yeti on my Egret. When I fish the Keys I can rely on the Yeti holding ice for several days. There are other high-end coolers like Engels that may work just as well. Gander Mountain carries its own brand of high-end coolers at a considerable reduction in cost.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    Personally while Yeti is great, so is a BMW. Thru a suggestion from someone on another forum I tried an Igloo Sportsman. I know, I know, most Igloo's arent much but in my opinion the Sportsman is everybit as well built and strong as a Yeti. All I can tell ya is it held ice 5 days last year in the late June in the keys sittin in the bottom of my boat. You can buy 2 for the price of one Yeti.
    I did take a 50+ qt low end Igloo that was a 1 1/2 day cooler at best. Add 3/4 inch styrofoam with liquid nails to inside with a piece of styro to lay on top of contents...presto, 5 day cooler.
  • kj521kj521 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I agree about going with Yeti if you would be using it as a casting platform. My brother is 300+ LBS and stands on it no problems. To me that justifies the money and saves space to have an all in one cooler and casting platform. If you do not want to use it as a casting platform then save the money and go with something cheaper. I have a marine igloo as a backup that holds ice pretty good for the $50 I paid for it.
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,167 Officer
    Well the time has finally come for me to start cooler shopping again. The bottom of my old 70 Qt Coleman has finally rubbed comepletely off :cry. I want something of comparable size that is going to hold ice as long as possible. A long term warranty (10+ years) would also be nice so i only have to dish out a small fortune once. But there are so many companies out there now making rotomolded coolers. I really like the handles on the Igloo Yukons but have heard not so good things about ice retention. Yetis seem to be overrated engle too. Grizzly, Orca, pelican, icey tek, K2 they all seem good does anyone have any experience with them? :huh

What does "hold ice as long as possible" mean to you... How long do you need your cooler to hold ice? And how much ice retention do you really need? 50% over 10 days? 25% over 5 days? I think that in terms of ice retention, generally speaking, the $$$ "super coolers" have not proven all that much more effective than a $75-150 Coleman Extreme.

Other factors may make one of the super coolers a necessity for you, but you haven't really said anything about any need other than ice retention.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• robert cibranrobert cibran Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Coleman 70 qt marine extreme, the one with the black rubber handles, at Walmart for $49.00, holds ice a long time
  • Sick DaySick Day Posts: 260 Deckhand
    I see people selling knock off coolers on craigslist for 1/2 the price of stores. Not sure of quality or warranty.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/5031934911.html
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 966 Officer
    Out of all the coolers I've had, my favorite was my Frigid Rigid. By far the most expensive but the quality is great and the fiberglass shell makes it looks like a part of the boat.

Some ### stole it off a Contender I had 6-years ago and I have not bought one since.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 444 Deckhand
    I bought a $17 Igloo at Academy 2 months ago. It looked and felt quite sturdy for a cheapy. I put it on my 16' foot Poor Mans Hewes Redfisher (16' Xpress Bay boat) and stand on it every trip now for 2 months. Has worked just fine for my day trips. I only weigh 147lbs so It holds me fine. I guess its my Poor Mans Yeti. Great value,,,the Xpress and the Igloo.
  • swat1swat1 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Sent you a PM. I'm an ORCA dealer and have every size in stock.
  • sonofagunnsonofagunn Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Another one to throw in the mix - just like a Yeti, but cheaper:

http://www.rookeroutdoors.com
  • BillablehoursBillablehours Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    In my opinion this is the best deal going. Holds ice very well, is very strong and 1/2 the price.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sportsman-cooler/prod10150470.ip?mobiledetect=false
    I also have an Orca and love it as well. Got it as a blemish that you can't even see. But for the money the Sportsman can't be beat. It is appx the same size as your cooler and fits under most leaning posts.
    Over $350 for a Yetti is rediculous in my opinion.
    Renaissance Prowler “Billable Hours”
    2200XL Pathfinder “Flat Fee”
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,167 Officer
    Looks like the OP has flown the coop. :shrug

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    I have 2 Engels. A 65 and a 240 that I use as a coffin box. I have taken ice to the Islands for 5 days and brought most of it back home at the end. I too use blocks, as they are easier to make and last longer. The 65 holds about 5 blocks and after a day of fishing locally (without pre cooling it) I will dump about 2 tablespoons of water out of it(doesn't get opened very often, it is ice for the fish boxes if and when we catch, also holds bait).
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    I am very happy with the Pelican we got at Sams Club. It is loaded with ice paks on Friday night and used Sat/Sun. Like any, keep the opening to a minimum and you'll get some good results. Mine also doubles as a casting platform and I'm 280. It is very stable.
  • ISLANDRUNNER26ISLANDRUNNER26 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I have a Pelican and it holds ice as well if not better than my yeti and a lot cheaper . You can stand on it with no problems . Regardless of what you buy these brands are heavy .
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    Bought an igloo sportsman, half the price of a yeti, in my opinion every bit as well built. Holds ice forever, espacially if you can pre cool it. Very happy with it. My next cooler will be a Sportsman.
  • krombie19krombie19 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    For me, Pelican is the company. Lifetime warranty vs 5 year on the snow monster. Another bonus, on the pelican coolers from 45-95qt(estimation) you can use 1/4-1/2 hotel pans as dry food holders. You can also these hotel pans to make block ice when not in use in the cooler.
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    Thanks for the tip Krombie, I use an ice pak, but have thought about ice for the saltwater slushie. And I just couldn't take my card out for the Pelican tray. I have a used restaurant supply shop nearby and we do training at a hotel that might give me a deal on an older one...
    Thanks. Now have you or anyone made a rod holder for these? Mine is the 45QT I think.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Brokedown and bought a Pelican about a year ago. PROS: Great latches, great warranty, great ice retention, dual handles (one set is great for carrying with another person, while flip-ups better for carrying on own, better price, as advertised inner dimensions/capacity.

CONS: one of the heaviest of all brands, has larger outside profile since inner dimensions are as advertised.

I can easily stand on it without any flex or potential breakage. Its built like a brick ****house. However, I bought mine specifically for multiple day car camping trips. I seldom fish for more than 8 hours and any Igloo or Coleman can hold ice for a day more than adequately. They're what I've always used and will continue to use on the boat, but I don't need a cooler to stand on though.

Based on a few 4-5 day camping trips in 75-90 degree shaded heat I can verify that the Pelican holds ice as advertised BUT with all these coolers you need to follow their (sometimes impractical) "preparations" to hit their stated ice retention claims. Keep cooler indoors/AC overnight before use, chill down all drinks in advance, freeze any meats that you can, make some block ice in advance, pack cooler full as much as possible (to eliminate air) with mix of block ice, regular ice and content.

IMO all premium cooler brands are way too expensive and impractical of an option to keep a couple drinks and fish cold for a days fishing
  • willy-twilly-t Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Yeti for me. If you need replacement parts 5 years from now will the smaller companies still be around?
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 508 Officer
    I am very happy with my Engel 65 cooler.
  • SnapperSlayerPompanoSnapperSlayerPompano Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I use an Engel cooler which is like a yeti and love. i would suggest this to anyone who wants what you want. I know that George Poveromo uses one too and likes it
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 508 Officer
    ^ What Snapper said - I actually got my Engel after being on George's boat and seeing his.