Can I rinse under the cover of my outboard?

DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
Pulled the cover off my 150 yamaha 4 stroke, and noted some dried salt on the engine components...can I rise it off with freshwater?

Replies

• AmericanaAmericana Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    I have sprayed my motor (250 e-tec) with fresh water and let it completely dry. I then use Corrosion-X to provide a film of protection against the elements. Keep all water away from your intake. Hope this helps and tight lines.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Yes, do not let salt stay inside the cowling. I would always rinse my 2004 F150 whenever there was salt on the engine.As mentioned above, just don't direct water around the air intake area. I never had any problems even after 10 years. My new F40 even says in the manual do not hesitate to hose off under the cowl.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 725 Officer
    Americana wrote: »
    I have sprayed my motor (250 e-tec) with fresh water and let it completely dry. I then use Corrosion-X to provide a film of protection against the elements. Keep all water away from your intake. Hope this helps and tight lines.

What he said ^^^^^
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I do after every trip in salt water. After this past weekend I had salt crust on the top of the timing belt cover.
    And regularly spray it down with Corrosion X or Corrosion Block.
    Signature
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Thanks...all clean now!