Sick day 5-20-15

Called into work sick on Wednesday 5-20-15 in order to catch some good weather and beat the Memorial Day weekend crowd. Got to crystal river at sunrise throwing topwater flies around productive bars hoping for snook first hour was dead.. No action, then right as I'm getting ready to put away the topwater, had a decent trout take the fly released him and next cast got exploded on by a nice slot red, got him in the boat for some pics and released him. Moved on to trying to sightfish some reds as the sun came up but they weren't having it. Around 11 the wind picked up so I picked up the spin gear and landed and released another nice slot red. Then in a foot of water where I was redfishing came a big ray with a 20+lb cobia on its back. One cast with my soft plastic and he ate, was only able to keep him hooked for a few seconds before he hook came out, started to chase them down for another shot and ran my trolling motor into and oyster bed and broke the plastic piece that keeps it locked in position, and lost sight of the ray and cobe. After breaking my motor I headed back to the ramp and decided to go up 19 to cedar key to try and find some drum to catch on fly. Stopped by Herschel's store in otter creek and the good people there helped me out by giving me a piece of metal wire to rig my trolling motor so it would be usable. Got out there at the extreme high tide and found some drum tailing right off the bat. After hooking one smaller one and fighting him for 20 min, took some pictures with him and released him. Not more than 5 min later hooked into a much larger one and battled him for almost an hour. Hoisted him in the boat for a few pics and released him. After that I was exhausted and called it a day. Turned out to be a great day, glad I wasn't at work..

Some footage from the day on my Instagram page if you wanna check it out. Same username.
Fly fishing the big bend

IG: hausw

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,193 Captain
    Solid day, congrats. Dont let your boss read your report
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,021 Captain
    I bet you were exhausted! That's quite a day. You don't look sick, but that was a "sick"day!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dveres95Dveres95 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I need to have more sick days like this....Great Catches!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Those kind of sick days makes a body heal up pretty darn good...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 658 Officer
    What kind of flies are you using for black drum?
  • hauswhausw Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    What kind of flies are you using for black drum?

Crab patterns
    Fly fishing the big bend

• TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    What's up man? It's Trip F. When you going to take me out there? I got a fly rod collecting dust haha nice fish
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Nice Sick Day Indeed :grin
    :thumbsup:beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Now that looks like a lot of fun! You may just have motivated me to get out an #8 or #9 weight and try my luck w/ a Big Ugly this year? I need to tye up some crab patterns first so any suggestions on colors and hook size???? Thanks in advance and it's awesome to see a long rod post on the forum again!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 417 Deckhand
    Great report and awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Top shelf report.

I've always wanted to name my boat "Sick Day".
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Now that looks like a lot of fun! You may just have motivated me to get out an #8 or #9 weight and try my luck w/ a Big Ugly this year? I need to tye up some crab patterns first so any suggestions on colors and hook size???? Thanks in advance and it's awesome to see a long rod post on the forum again!!!!!

Only if I get to film it! :grin You'd be whooped for the day after one of those on fly man. But I agree, it looks like a blast!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Catching Uglies on a fly rod??? That's SICK! But amazing.
  • hauswhausw Posts: 3 Greenhorn

it was a ton of fun, I caught them on an 8weight and was a bit under gunned lol. just using crab patterns, as far as color, whatever you the reds like in that area, I like copper and dark brown, some people like black and purple, it depends.. I do like to make sure I have a bigger hook on my fly though to get a piece of those rubber lips. at least a #1 or bigger
    Fly fishing the big bend

• Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    hausw wrote: »
    it was a ton of fun, I caught them on an 8weight and was a bit under gunned lol. just using crab patterns, as far as color, whatever you the reds like in that area, I like copper and dark brown, some people like black and purple, it depends.. I do like to make sure I have a bigger hook on my fly though to get a piece of those rubber lips. at least a #1 or bigger

Thanks Hausw for the info!! I've been experimenting at my vice w/ very thin sheets of craft foam cutting crab shapes and weighting them w/ lead wire and flat lead on the bottom to keep it riding "hook up" when it falls to the bottom. I also put some small glass rattlers between the foam before super gluing them together. I tried using pieces of turkey tail feathers and round rubber legs and coloring the tan foam w/ sharpies. Really easy to make!! I'll be trying them sometime this Summer on the schools of drum in Yankeetown! Thanks again for the info and hope to see you out there one of these days!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!