Home General Freshwater Fishing

West Central Florida panfish?

I friend of mine wants to try panfishing. He is a very accomplished flats angler but knows nothing about sweet water fish. I really want to put him on some bream or shellcrackers but have not been out myself in a while. Without naming exact spots can someone point me in the right direction to show my friend a good mornings trip? Something in the Pinellas, Hillsborough or Polk area would be nice. Thanks.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,318 Moderator
    Check with the peeps on the West Central general section. They might can help.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    any lakes/ponds even retention ponds over 8-10 years old will more than likely hold Pan Fish bud old worms (can be bought at Wally World for $3.45) an split shot an a small j hook bobber is optional

Pan fish in my experience can be very finicky some lakes they'll redily bite beetle spins or small crappie jigs other lakes they won't touch them worms are pretty much a sure bet

I have no clue what the reg's are
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • CrappieTimCrappieTim Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Duckwhacker,

I am a world class aquarium fisherman (that is what my bass fishing buddies call me :) ). I have done quite well catching gills up to 17 inches in the Midwest. I am moving to Tampa in a week and looking forward to catching some Florida Gills and Specs (Thats what you call crappie right). If you friend is interested in chatting about panfishing have him drop me a line.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    Specs in the South...Crappie comes from North of I-10. :wink
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!