Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Dry Aging

Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
Since the site went down, naturally I can't find the thread on dry aging meat, which was so informative.

I just brought home a whole sirloin and I rinsed it off, dried w/ paper towels, then placed on cotton kitchen towel on a platter, and covered the entire piece with more towels. Returned meat to the refrigerator. Tomorrow afternoon, (24 hrs) I will replace the towels with clean dry ones and repeat this process every day for about 2 weeks.

How far off am I in this process ??????????????
.......Rick

Replies

• AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    I have never done it but I think you're on the right track as far as I can remember.

Here's some stuff to read up on: http://foodobsessity.blogspot.com/2008/05/dry-aging-beef.html
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • captainjtsmithcaptainjtsmith Posts: 56 Deckhand
    YOU GOT IT CHEF.... AT THE END OF THE PROCESS, TRIM THE "GREEN" OR "AGED" FAT OFF AND CHARGRILL TO PERFECTION.... BASTE WITH GARLIC BUTTER AFTER COOKING.... REMEMBER TO LET THE MEAT REST FOR FOR A GOOD 4-5 MINUTES BEFORE CUTTING TO KEEP THE JUICES IN...

BON APPETIT
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    YOU GOT IT CHEF.... AT THE END OF THE PROCESS, TRIM THE "GREEN" OR "AGED" FAT OFF AND CHARGRILL TO PERFECTION.... BASTE WITH GARLIC BUTTER AFTER COOKING.... REMEMBER TO LET THE MEAT REST FOR FOR A GOOD 4-5 MINUTES BEFORE CUTTING TO KEEP THE JUICES IN...

BON APPETIT

:thumbsup:Agree

I have a whole NYstriploin and ribeye that's been wet aging for over a month. I'll open, wash, dry and wrap to dry age this weekend. Should take a week. Really makes a difference in the texture and flavor of a steak.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Muchas grassyass amigos....my mouth was watering, just thinking about the end result. (Speaking of "cooked to perfection," I did myself proud on a couple of strips last night.)

But in the link that Abelman posted, the writer made mention that the meat should be marbled on the inside. That's sort of a no brainer for a whole ribeye or a whole strip, but sirloin? I haven't seen what I would call a well marbled sirloin in decades....and obviously I can't look inside this whole one. So just how important is this marbling aspect?
    .......Rick
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Marbling on a whole sirloin, try going from $2.89 a pound to $5.80 or more for prime. Prime is getting rare since only about 10% of all beef in our country is prime and I bet a portion of that is being exported.

As for the dry aging no marbling isn't going to screw it up. Mostly dry aging removes water whice is thenemymy of flavor and it add subtle notes.
  • capttimcapttim Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    I use white cheesecloth, and put the wrapped ribeye on a rack in the bottom of the fridge (34 - 36 deg F). Change the cheese cloth daily in the beginning then every 2 - 3 days after a week or so. Ussually 3 - 4 weeks works well.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
    While we are on the subject aging- how about hanging deer to age- I have an old soft drink cooler that will hold a couple of deer with head off. My butcher told me "constant air flow" is most important to keep it dry and prevent "growth". The fan in a cold drink cooler runs all the time to keep drinks constant tempture. I hang skin on to avoid drying out. Temperature I normally use is 32 to 34^ (meat will not freeze until under about 26-28^). I go about a week before I take to butcher as he may hang another 1-6 days depending on his work load. Meat changes to a darker red and becomes more tender. I never have the "gamey" flavor which I attribute to spoliage. Does it taste like beef, no and it does not taste like chicken either- it is venison.
    I treat vension like it cost $100 a pound because it probaly does if I am honest with myself. Deer goes down and then goes in cooler within a couple of hours at most.
    What you experts think about temperature and time frame I use to age? Thanks
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    capttim wrote: »
    I use white cheesecloth, and put the wrapped ribeye on a rack in the bottom of the fridge (34 - 36 deg F). Change the cheese cloth daily in the beginning then every 2 - 3 days after a week or so. Ussually 3 - 4 weeks works well.

Man, I'm glad you said that, because I'm now on day 10 and just changed the towels after 3 days and it was like they didn't need it. NO liquid/moisture anywhere but the very bottom of the piece. Would it hurt to turn it over???

Speaking of no moisture, this sirloin came in a vacuum package and there was a helluva lot of blood/water/juice in the package, which was obviously sucked out of the meat during the packaging process. I hope this puppy isn't going to be dry.
    .......Rick
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I do it a little differently but, I think, am acheiving the same results. I put my steak on a rack inside of baking dish in one of the bottom drawers. This way, the air can circulate completely around the meat. Change the dish every other day and flip the meat. No towels. I think I saw this on Alton Brown. Is this safe?
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I do it a little differently but, I think, am acheiving the same results. I put my steak on a rack inside of baking dish in one of the bottom drawers. This way, the air can circulate completely around the meat. Change the dish every other day and flip the meat. No towels. I think I saw this on Alton Brown. Is this safe?
    I ain't dead and that's the way I do it. With the addition of a paper towel laying on top and changed daily.
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.