Alternatives to Star Seagis

I bought a new Seagis (spinning 7', 8-17#) because I like the stiff tip. What I didn't realize in the store was the long butt that came with it. I would have it shortened and be done with it, but I also prefer a little more ()bigger dia) cork on the fore grip. (I hold it with reel stem between pinky and ring finger.)

I've also heard the distance between the reel seat and stripper is too short. This rod would be for casting weighted soft plastics on the flats w 10# braid.

Any "off the rack" suggestions? Options? Comparable blanks? Not trying to be too picky but casting comfort is an issue.

Thanks.
cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
greggl wrote: »
Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
nuevowavo wrote:
Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
:rotflmao

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    bump
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    St Croix rods usually have a larger dia cork grips on their rods compared to most manufacturers. I'd recommend the Avid or Mojo inshore rods. I do find the 7'6" Full Cork Seagis to be perfect though.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,391 Admiral
    I have the seagis with the short grip , love the blank but , I don't care for the reel seat at all.

If you're looking for a replacement buy the stellar lite.

sensitivity goes to the seagis but , only by a hair.

mojo bass 7' 8-17lb is another contender in the $100 price range.
    I was thinking of the avid. Used to have a 6 footer. Remember it being pretty stout for a 6-12.
    nuevowavo wrote:
    The Avid does have a stiffer tip compared to other rods in the St Croix line up
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 478 Deckhand
    I like my new Star Plasma better than my St Croix Avid.. not that I don't like my Avid. They changed the guides on the Plasma this year and I have to admit I think I like the smaller guides better.

I don't like my Stellar Lites at all.
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    I like my new Star Plasma better than my St Croix Avid.. not that I don't like my Avid. They changed the guides on the Plasma this year and I have to admit I think I like the smaller guides better.

I don't like my Stellar Lites at all.

I love the plasma as well, just sad they don't make other lengths. Only problem is the OP prefers a thicker handle which the plasma is practically the same as the seagis
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Crowder e-series are one of the most comfortable rods for all day inshore fishing in my opinion.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Have you looked at the inshore Shimano Convergence or Compre lineup? Enjoy mine so far but I've not fished with a Seagis to compare the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
    Have you looked at the inshore Shimano Convergence or Compre lineup? Enjoy mine so far but I've not fished with a Seagis to compare the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

The purpose of the op was to find a rod or blank comparable to the light weight and slower action (stiffness through the tip) of the seagis. Other than Jett's recommendation of the avid, everything else has been shots in the dark.

I was looking forward to some of the rod builders suggestions and thought for sure I would get an expert consensus, or even a solicitation or two but so far nada.
    nuevowavo wrote: