first midas cichlid

I have never caught a midas cichlid before, earlier today I was invited to join my good friend Martini who holds multiple IGFA world records, I joined him on his bay boat and we hit up the miami canals running through the falls and coral gables. on our way out we were seeing multiple midas cichlids and I told him that I had never caught one before so he put down the trolling motor and the 1st bait I put in the water was inhaled by this gorgeous bright orange midas cichlid, my first!!!! :grin
as we continued down the canal I was catching a midas on almost every bait I put in the water. We got to this one spot and I caught this big yellow 2lb midas cichlid.
further on up we spotted a nice peacock and moments later had him in the boat, peacock weighed in at 3lbs even and makes it my biggest Miami Dade County peacock.
most of todays catches were tilapias and cichlids, only a couple peacock, I still had an awesome day out on the water and finally glad to check off the midas cichlid off my list.
There's no such thing as too much bait!

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    interesting fish!
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Were you using shiners? I've caught very few midas considering hundreds I've seen in those canals. got a few to eat a fly but nothing consistent.
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Nice! They are on my bucket list along with snakeheads!
  • PeacockFeverPeacockFever Posts: 227 Officer
    caught all the midas cichlids on bread, peas caught on artificials
    There's no such thing as too much bait!
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    Nice. Look like they'd be fun to catch just to cross off the list.