Home Egret Boats

175 Pro XS maintainance

seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
Well it's time for annual maintainance. Just wondering if anyone can reccomend an online source for Mercury parts (water pump, thermostats, etc)? If anyone has any additional info that may help me maintain my motor or anything I may not be aware of with this motor, I'm all ears.

Additionally, I am running a 4 blade Turbo prop (14 1/4 x 20). The prop performs well, better than the three blade Yamaha prop I replaced, but I have to trim it out by myself to get into the reccomended RPM range.
I have a 1998 189 C/K. Can anyone offer any suggestions that with help me get higher RPM @ WOT.
BTW. My motor is mounted on the second hole, and I'm willing to upgrade to a new prop if that's the answer.

Thanks Guys,
Tightlines
5l8lqw.jpg

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    The 2nd. mounting hole is correct. The prop I think may be to big. When I was running a OMC 175. I want to say that the 4 blade is was running was 14 X 18 or It may have been 14 1/2 X 17.

All this doesn't matter, just find out what your max RPM is with what you have. From there it is pretty easy to get it dialed in.
    Good Luck... Pete
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    seavee05 wrote: »
    Well it's time for annual maintainance. Just wondering if anyone can reccomend an online source for Mercury parts (water pump, thermostats, etc)? If anyone has any additional info that may help me maintain my motor or anything I may not be aware of with this motor, I'm all ears.

Additionally, I am running a 4 blade Turbo prop (14 1/4 x 20). The prop performs well, better than the three blade Yamaha prop I replaced, but I have to trim it out by myself to get into the reccomended RPM range.
    I have a 1998 189 C/K. Can anyone offer any suggestions that with help me get higher RPM @ WOT.
    BTW. My motor is mounted on the second hole, and I'm willing to upgrade to a new prop if that's the answer.

Thanks Guys,
    Tightlines

Don at European Marine is one of the best. His parts inventory and prices are good.

http://www.europeanmarine.org/

Wealth of information here also Don is the board sponsor.

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-2-0-2-4-2-5-liter-high-performance/

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-liter-3-liter-high-performance/

As far as props with that motor I found that the motor being in the 1 first hole all the way down ran best. You could trim to get the bow up more and the boat runs higher out of the water along with a increase of RPM's. When it was mounted in the second hole the boat ran flatter and you would start to get cavitation at the same trim level. Several boats including mine run it with the motor in the first hole with great results. As far as props the 19 pitch Ultima 4 may work better since your boat is a older model and a heavier build.They don't make the 20 anymore also those props wear quickly and start to loose grip and efficiency. Mark Croxtons 3 blade razor in 20 pitch would be also my go to. I ran a 21 but my boat was lighter.Hope this helps feel free to contact me with any other questions.I did a lot of testing while I had that boat & motor and had it dialed.

http://www.marksprops.com/products.html
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Don is an online saint for all the effort he puts into helping others that probably won't ever have a chance to buy from him. He's been a great resource for me.

I am much happier with hole shot in the first hole and smaller prop. I am running a 17 in prop on my heavy boat and I'm pretty happy with it.

Make sure the compressor cooling circuit filter gets cleaned. I've been very careful not to use reverse in shallow muddy water and have only had a single brief overheat since.

I would love to see a weigh scale result on one of the older 'heavy' boats. Numbers don't have opinions.
    mbowers wrote: »
    Don is an online saint for all the effort he puts into helping others that probably won't ever have a chance to buy from him. He's been a great resource for me.

I am much happier with hole shot in the first hole and smaller prop. I am running a 17 in prop on my heavy boat and I'm pretty happy with it.

Make sure the compressor cooling circuit filter gets cleaned. I've been very careful not to use reverse in shallow muddy water and have only had a single brief overheat since.

I would love to see a weigh scale result on one of the older 'heavy' boats. Numbers don't have opinions.

I heard there's a scale at Dade Corners. Krome Ave and SW 8 street. One of these days I'll have to check that out. Maybe I'll just take the boat with full fuel, the two batteries and the seat cushion, no cooler, no anchor, no nothing. This will give me a better idea of the exact hull weight. I don't agree with some of what I'm seeing on other topics.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The fiberglass weight is 950 lbs. and the CK weight is 825 lbs. which is all fiberglass parts for the 189.
    This does not take into account the rigging fuel tank, fill & hoses, hinges, screws, cleats,shocks rod locker hardware, steering, wiring & switches, plumbing pumps & fittings,batteries switches etc.The poling tower is not included in that weight also which weighs 45 lbs with the fiberglass top for the 189. This all adds up.

I don't understand how approx. 12 feet of aluminum pipe and a cored top not much bigger than the baitwell lid on these boats can weight 40lbs...:huh Maybe it's the plastic light and the step that makes up the difference,:grin Keep Smilin... Pete
    I heard there's a scale at Dade Corners. Krome Ave and SW 8 street. One of these days I'll have to check that out. Maybe I'll just take the boat with full fuel, the two batteries and the seat cushion, no cooler, no anchor, no nothing. This will give me a better idea of the exact hull weight. I don't agree with some of what I'm seeing on other topics.

I don't understand how approx. 12 feet of aluminum pipe and a cored top not much bigger than the baitwell lid on these boats can weight 40lbs...:huh Maybe it's the plastic light and the step that makes up the difference,:grin Keep Smilin... Pete

It was quite simple actually. I removed my tower from my 189 and put it on my digital scale at work and it weighed 45 lbs. Keep Smilin...Phil :grin
    :funnypost

189%20poling%20tower_zps2hcetc4e.jpg
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Thank you Guys, I placed my order with Don. Spoke to a very nice woman who helped me and took my order.
    Don said the thermo stats did NOT have to be changed as part of the 100 service. He said remove them from the order if I don't want to do them. IDK what do you think? He also said to clean the strainers too, but said I shouldn't need to touch the poppet valves.

I would like to weight my boat too. I think the transfer station near me may allow me to do it.
    I do get a good holeshot even on the second hole. I really wouldn't want to remount the motor unless I was really unhappy with the performance. But, I probably am over propped as far as pitch is concerned. I'll get back to everyone after I do my maintenance and take some runs to get a good base to work from.

Thanks again.
    5l8lqw.jpg
    Unless your have water pressure issues or know you really ran thru allot of mud & sand. I wouldn't touch the poppet valve. As far as the thermostats if your engine temps are normal then I wouldn't replace them.You can remove them to inspect to make sure there isn't anything caught up in them. You'll need two gaskets as they tear when the covers are removed. As far as the strainer definitely remove it clean the screen and then hook the hose to the flush port and back flush the motor while it it out. This will remove anything that is sitting in the bottom of the power head that you can't see. No need to start the motor just remove the plug and connect the hose and turn it on and flush it for about 15 to 30 seconds.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Unless your have water pressure issues or know you really ran thru allot of mud & sand. I wouldn't touch the poppet valve. As far as the thermostats if your engine temps are normal then I wouldn't replace them.You can remove them to inspect to make sure there isn't anything caught up in them. You'll need two gaskets as they tear when the covers are removed. As far as the strainer definitely remove it clean the screen and then hook the hose to the flush port and back flush the motor while it it out. This will remove anything that is sitting in the bottom of the power head that you can't see. No need to start the motor just remove the plug and connect the hose and turn it on and flush it for about 15 to 30 seconds.

Well I ran the boat last week for the first time since the fall. You know since the **** bay was frozen solid all winter! The engine started fine, but after I jumped out and ran a mile or so my engine temp soared up to 200. I backed off and it came down to 150 or so. Then I took other run and it was in the 90's underway, brought it back to idle speed and it climbed to 130's but seemed to stabilize there. I immediately thought stats and/or waterpump. So maybe something was just stuck from sitting but regardless maybe I should just change them as a precaution.
    5l8lqw.jpg
    seavee05 wrote: »
    Well I ran the boat last week for the first time since the fall. You know since the **** bay was frozen solid all winter! The engine started fine, but after I jumped out and ran a mile or so my engine temp soared up to 200. I backed off and it came down to 150 or so. Then I took other run and it was in the 90's underway, brought it back to idle speed and it climbed to 130's but seemed to stabilize there. I immediately thought stats and/or waterpump. So maybe something was just stuck from sitting but regardless maybe I should just change them as a precaution.

Considering your water temperature is probably in the 50's. Sounds like you better check those things out. Don't forget to check the impeller.
    Considering your water temperature is probably in the 50's. Sounds like you better check those things out. Don't forget to check the impeller.

Yea Pete, it was right at 50 last week. Yup, I ordered the water pump kit along with the rest of the goodies. I'm sure the culprit will come to light when I install it all.
    5l8lqw.jpg