CR YT OZ 4-22 to 5-3

Fish are on the chew. Big snook flounder sheepshead reds trout, you name it. Full report in the BB Weekend 4cast on the home page.

I will be speaking at a seminar for the citrus fishing club tonight (5/4/15) at the american legion on 44 in crystal river across the street from publix. Seminar starts at 7pm. It would be a good time to sign up for the club if interested.

Replies

• HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Wow, a that rate I'm glad Snook season is closed! Great job Captain!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Some very happy clients...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    Wow, a that rate I'm glad Snook season is closed! Great job Captain!

Me too. No pressure to keep one now. We kept 7 slot fish this season out of about 20 caught. Im seeing a lot more slot fish now than in the past few years. Still lots of over slot and under slot also. Its all good as long as the population is stable. Seeing more snook in places that they havent been in a few years. Hope the trend stays this way.
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    ripnlips wrote: »
    Me too. No pressure to keep one now. We kept 7 slot fish this season out of about 20 caught. Im seeing a lot more slot fish now than in the past few years. Still lots of over slot and under slot also. Its all good as long as the population is stable. Seeing more snook in places that they havent been in a few years. Hope the trend stays this way.

Just a thought, but 25$ extra fee for keeping a Snook might help alleviate some of that pressure by the clients. You could donate the fee to whatever program working on the conservation/research of Snook. Not telling you how to run you business man, and you always want to keep customers happy but a photo and memories usually last longer than the taste of a meal. Again, just a suggestion. They're great to catch, and a memorable fight on light tackle, so keeping them around is always in everyone's best interest.

OH YEAH! NICE WORK MAN! Those are pretty!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    That's some fine work Marrio!!! There's some really fine catches in those photo's!!!! On the keeping of snook lets face it, like it or not those who want to keep a legal size snook in-season have every right too under the existing laws. In my opinion, the powers that be should take into consideration that our snook fishery hasn't been around that long! Talk to any of the "Old Timers" and they will tell you that years ago when someone caught a snook, it was a big deal since it seldom happened in this area!!! Hell I think most fishermen are shocked when they hear that we are catching them regularly here because in the past> Tampa was the northern most area where they had been caught but never in the Big Bend!!!
    They have different snook laws for the east and west coasts, why not have a different law for the northwest to protect out budding snook fishery??? I personally believe we should have a closed season on ALL SNOOK until it can be determined weather they are here to stay or this new fishery is just due to the mild winters of the past 5 years???? Global warming??? I duno but I sure would hate to see our snook go south again back where they came from!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,578 Captain
    Made some memories.
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Second thought, if everyone signs a waiver before they board(not sure if they do) just add it to the waiver in bold print.

"Due to conservation efforts etc, no Snook will be kept in efforts to keep the species around for future generations, and protect the health of our burgeoning Snook population."

Or some such wording. If you're feeling it that day you can keep it,(if legal size) if not, there shouldn't be any pressure to do so. As a private angler we've got to pay extra for the privilege of keeping Snook. (not sure how that effects charter guys)

Just a suggestion. Again, not trying to tell you how to run your business/livelihood.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    If I thought the population was in jeopardy I wouldn't fish for them at all. I stopped snook fishing all together after the freeze in 09 until I started catching them as by-catch all the time. Then I knew it was time to fish for them again. They are very predictable in their movements from season to season so they are an easy target.

Anyways it is legal to harvest a snook that is between 28 and 33 inches during the season. Ultimately it is my choice if a customer keeps one or not and I think I make good judgement calls in that matter. Handle them with care no matter how big they are. Make sure they are ready to swim off when released too. They will suck your thumb when ready.
  • rkotinskyrkotinsky Posts: 155 Officer
    Great catches and nice to see so many snook.
  • hasbeenhasbeen Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    I agree with Snook Spanker. On a charter the client can keep a legal fish. But I would not be opposed to something like if someone on a charter wanted to keep a snook they would be required to pay the fee of the snook stamp fee.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,840 AG
    no snook to speak of here 30 years ago, 4 or 5 cold winters and you'll have to go back to Tampa bay or further south to catch one..

Kind of like ARS, ain't gonna get one in 70' here for a while.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • g8rflyg8rfly Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Nice variety of nice fish!
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Excellent my brother.
  • fitnastfitnast Posts: 142 Officer
    Excellent fish and photos Marrio. Keep up the good work bro
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Way to make them smile Marrio