Quick Placida Trip 4-29-15

Went down to Placida last night to catch the tail end of snook season. Fished top water for about 1 hour several small hits but no catch. We then fished some structure. Caught 2 20 " snook , two small grouper , 13" mangrove snapper, 1 ladyfish .... My 10 year old gave me a heart attack by wanting to go last night so the trip was worth it no matter what. She pitched a jerk bait and pulled in some grass with a 2" seahorse ( talked about it for a couple hours ). Toward the end of the trip I promised a few "last casts" then hook up with what I am pretty sure was a slot snook. As I tried to hold the fish steady , trolling motor my boat out of the structure , not fall in as the 15 + mph breeze was in my face , she jumped like a tarpon then proceeded to cut my 30 lb floro. with her gill plate.

Sorry no pics but we had a blast. Will be purchasing some 40 lb floro asap !!!

Terroreyz

Get any color that is white with a black back !

http://www.doalures.com/category-s/1946.htm
I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....

Replies

• pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    red_magnet wrote: »
    Went down to Placida last night to catch the tail end of snook season. Fished top water for about 1 hour several small hits but no catch. We then fished some structure. Caught 2 20 " snook , two small grouper , 13" mangrove snapper, 1 ladyfish .... My 10 year old gave me a heart attack by wanting to go last night so the trip was worth it no matter what. She pitched a jerk bait and pulled in some grass with a 2" seahorse ( talked about it for a couple hours ). Toward the end of the trip I promised a few "last casts" then hook up with what I am pretty sure was a slot snook. As I tried to hold the fish steady , trolling motor my boat out of the structure , not fall in as the 15 + mph breeze was in my face , she jumped like a tarpon then proceeded to cut my 30 lb floro. with her gill plate.

Sorry no pics but we had a blast. Will be purchasing some 40 lb floro asap !!!

Terroreyz

Get any color that is white with a black back !

http://www.doalures.com/category-s/1946.htm

For slot sized snook I'd up that to 50-60 lb
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Ok thanks!
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    pjstevko wrote: »
    For slot sized snook I'd up that to 50-60 lb

Unless you are fishing fast water with heavy structure this is unnecessary IMO.

30lb for mangroves, 40 for docks and 60 if I'm fishing something like a bridge fender with fast water.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    The best size leader that lets the Terroreyz work at it's best is 30 lb. I have gone to 40 lb, but you usaully get less bites. With that said a lot of fishing is mental so if you are comforable with heavier leader then use what you think will work best. Until this year I had no problem with 30 lb, but switched to 40 because of cut off's.
    Thanks V ! As I review ( in my brain ) my trip I realize that I should have "bowed" to release tension on the line then once she was done jumping and back in the water re-applied pressure. I never had a issue with 30lb with bigger snook before but they never came out of the water either.

Again the conditions were rough and I knew I had to move my boat or I would have never got her out of the structure.

what brand do you like on the 40 ?
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Seagar
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 516 Officer
    I use 50 when fishing strong current and around structure. Fish don't seem to care, hooked a 40+ yesterday and kept a ton of pressure even when the fish jumped and the line never breaks. Too bad it shook the hook. Also caught more than 20 smaller fish on the same leader, only had to retie once, with 30 I retie after every fish.
  • In Too DeepIn Too Deep Posts: 124 Officer
    Honestly, if a Snook gets your leader with the gill plate it probably doesn't matter what your using unless its steel. Keep the drag tight and don't let her turn her head. I use 20lb in clear water and 30lb if it's stained or I'm fishing mangroves/structure (this is most of the time).
    went with Seaguar Fluoro Premier 50lb says it strong as 50lb but line diameter of 40lb .... Whats another $25 to the fishing industry ...
    Just a quick update , I have yet to loose a fish using the new leader. And my hookup ratio is just as good. Landed a 29" snook the other night no problem didn't change the leader all night.

Seaguar Fluoro Premier 50lb ( Two thumbs up )
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 516 Officer
    Told ya! Good job
    Told ya! Good job

thanks again !
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,890 Captain
    agree