Home General Fishing

Lets talk fishing a full moon

Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
I've noticed a correlation for me personally between full moons and poor fishing. If you're going to fish a full moon, what is your strategy? The tides are big and I find the bite sporadic if not nonexistent. The big tides seem to spread fish way out and make them harder to find and I'd love to see some tips on how to make a poor fishing day a little better. I mostly fish inshore but if anybody wants to talk about strategies offshore lets talk about that too.

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    My strategy is to not fish the day before, and up to 3 days after a full moon.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,960 Captain
    Fish at night. The extreme tides move food around more but the added light, if not cloudy, aids in the predators feeding more during the nighttime. Day fishing can be a little tougher after a full moon if the conditions allowed for an all night feeding frenzy
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain

That is generally my strategy as well, but I'm not sure you can even call it a strategy if you don't even go fish, LOL. But I see some of the guides catching decent fish and I'm wondering how they do it. I have a feeling that I spend too much time looking around for the fish rather than fishing likely areas and waiting for a narrow window for a bite to happen.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I get so few fishing days I cannot afford to be picky: If the weekend weather is good, I'm going regardless of moon phase.
    That said, I had a rather good day of fishing (offshore) last month on the day of the lunar eclipse, the Black Fin Tuna were almost jumping into the boat lol.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    That's part of the reason why I'm asking, I'm a weekend warrior and have to fish when I can. I don't really get to choose but some weekends due to weather or moon phase I'll just do something else like ride mountain bikes or at least fish closer to home on the river with more of an emphasis on pleasure cruising than fishing. But between wind and weather and moon phase lately I haven't been doing a whole lot of fishing and this weekend I want to maximize my chances of catching!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral

This ^^^, unless you are fishing at night, then the grovers are easy.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 609 Officer
    Offshore I look to night fish the 5 days before and 3 days after for virtual guaranteed limits of mangroves. Gags and kings feed very well at night also. During the day I'll grind it out as usual.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I find that the fishing is pretty bad on the day of, and up to 2 days after. That said, the bites I do get are usually larger fish.
    I find that the fishing is pretty bad on the day of, and up to 2 days after. That said, the bites I do get are usually larger fish.

Wonder if that's because the smaller fish need less food and can not eat for longer periods of time while the bigger fish have to have a snack once in a while even when conditions aren't favorable?
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Wonder if that's because the smaller fish need less food and can not eat for longer periods of time while the bigger fish have to have a snack once in a while even when conditions aren't favorable?

Everything I've understood is just the opposite. Bigger fish are masters at conserving energy while the smaller (younger) ones run around expending it. Which would also explain why it's easier to catch smaller ones.
    Maybe. But I would also think that there are a lot more smaller juvenile fish than larger adults, making that possibly just a numbers game. You're more likely to catch the rats than the big dawgs.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Well, I fish every day...so I get to see all phases. I also fish all year with the exception of a small 60 day window during duck season.

I see a small correlation in that the moons in my area give you a strong incoming in the morning (and evening) on both waxing full and new moons.
    So, with that in mind you need to build your fishing strategy to maximize that. Also, it does appear that the "normal" early morning window of best feeding can be compromised by a clear night with little wind. I believe the night predator fish ( snook and trout) feed more aggressively at night given these circumstances.

In my area, Habitat has taken a 90% "hit" with a huge grass die -off so that can work to an advantage...in that it does congregate bait in areas where there are still grass...or areas of hard bottom.... If you focus on these areas it gives you a better chance at catching.

I will say this.... while there is a secondary feeding at " moon under ".... when the weather gets hot... I quit early and am more likely to try to hit "moon rise" ....I especially like to do that in summer if it coincides with a cloudy afternoon with a rain storm about 4 or 5 O'clock...It cools the water and seems to help kick off a good late afternoon bite going into moonrise...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Fish at night or during the big falling tide (or the incoming tide that occurs just after it) that is typically in the afternoon/evening here on the west coast.

The morning of a full moon is typically among the worst time for me.
    Here is what "Tides4Fishing" says about the solunars and such on Sunday's full moon.

from 12:49 am to 2:49 am, very high activity solunar activitysolunar activitysolunar activity Major period (moon up)
    solunar period with influence from 6:36 am to 7:36 am, very high activity solunar activitysolunar activitysolunar activity minor period (moonset). This period of high activity coincides with sunrise; therefore the sun will exercise more influence, resulting in an excellent time for fishing
    solunar period from 1:16 pm to 3:16 pm, very high activity solunar activitysolunar activitysolunar activity Major period (moon down)
    solunar period with influence from 7:57 pm to 8:57 pm, very high activity solunar activitysolunar activitysolunar activity minor period (moonrise). This period of high activity coincides with sunset; therefore the sun will exercise more influence, resulting in an excellent time for fishing
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Fish try to eat every day & are usually opportunistic feeders, but can only eat so often. Full Moon in clear weather helps predator species hunt at night.

Night fishing, particularly inshore, is often more successful if only b/c boat traffic is so greatly reduced.

The extra tidal flow during Full Moon can be a mixed blessing, depending which species you're seeking. The extreme tides can make it easier for predators to stuff their guts quickly & develop Lock Jaw. Some of my best catches have occurred during slack tides.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,174 Officer

X2
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    I fish evenings and night if the full moon is going on, especially tarpon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 476 Deckhand
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Fish at night. The extreme tides move food around more but the added light, if not cloudy, aids in the predators feeding more during the nighttime. Day fishing can be a little tougher after a full moon if the conditions allowed for an all night feeding frenzy
    X2
    le se' bon ton roulet
    Thought I'd follow up after a full moon weekend. The tide was very high and it was very windy but we did pretty well off and on. Never found one solid pocket of nice fish but picked away at some good ones off and on throughout the day. Fish seemed spread out since there was so much water and I found the fishing better towards the middle/bottom of the outgoing late afternoon tide.
  • mw32589mw32589 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I fish the full moon phase a lot exclusively at night from when the moon is a few hours from being directly over head until a few hours after its over head. I target snook but catch tarpon and some large trout on occasion as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACTION CRAFT 1802