Trapping on public land

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,313 Captain
    Skunk Ape wrote: »
    You are sadly mistaken, eradicating all hogs would be impossible, I would bet a years salary that we could out kill anyone using hounds against hog traps. I doubt you've ever seen a well trained pack of Plotts and Walkers at work with some experienced handlers. A dog is the best tool in killing hogs, period. Do you work for the FWC?

JUST RELASE A BUMCH OF COUGARS FROM DOWN HERE UP THERE AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL START TO GO AWAY .
    living life as i like
  • binner86binner86 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    If all WMA had that much pressure just for hogs, there goes all other game. Kill what you can in season and let the trappers go in and trap without major disturbances to the other wildlife so we still have animals on the WMA. Its a balance.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    binner86 wrote: »
    If all WMA had that much pressure just for hogs, there goes all other game. Kill what you can in season and let the trappers go in and trap without major disturbances to the other wildlife so we still have animals on the WMA. Its a balance.
    Do you seriously believe this? Where do you think all the game would go to?
    Do you seriously believe this? Where do you think all the game would go to?

PUSH OFF TO PRIVATE LAND
    living life as i like
  • mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Walker Dog wrote: »
    Because they are doing a job that needs to be done and it cost them less to do it on a contract basis than with paid staff and owned equipment. Offer to do it for them for less and I'm sure they'd be glad to consider your proposal when the contract is up. Most of the contracts are awarded on a bid basis, I believe.

MY PROPOSAL IS TO LET THE TAXPAYERS DO IT FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    mossyhorn9 wrote: »

Good luck selling them on using your services if that's all you have to offer.

Results it what they are after and a contractor has more to offer in that department. It's been demonstrated many times all over the State.
    You never answered when I asked if you worked for FWC?

No
    Here's a little on how cost effective these professional trappers were in Lee county a few years ago. $33,000 for about 500 hogs. We've killed over 100 in a 1/4 of that time and had to pay fees to do it. Gov't is always right. http://www.nbc-2.com/story/14943489/2011/06/20/lee-co-proposes
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Here's a little on how cost effective these professional trappers were in Lee county a few years ago. $33,000 for about 500 hogs. We've killed over 100 in a 1/4 of that time and had to pay fees to do it. Gov't is always right. http://www.nbc-2.com/story/14943489/2011/06/20/lee-co-proposes

What do you do with the meat from over 100 hogs or is it just for the sport and killing?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    RexLan wrote: »
    What do you do with the meat from over 100 hogs or is it just for the sport and killing?
    When you hunt with 10 of your buddy's and you each kill 10 then it's not that many now is it? Why don't you ask what swfmd does with the hogs they trap on their properties, I guarantee a loader is involved. I personally eat what I kill or give meat to friends. Sometimes I sell them. K?
    So, that's 66/hog removed +/-. Is that representative of the average cost per hog removed, or is it an outlier? What would be the cost if a FTE did the same job with state owned equipment?
    I LOVE HUNTING public land but to just let everyone run around out of season is not a good thing . Maybe do a draw on each wma to allow them to go out and put a certain number of traps out would be good .
    living life as i like
    I LOVE HUNTING public land but to just let everyone run around out of season is not a good thing . Maybe do a draw on each wma to allow them to go out and put a certain number of traps out would be good .
    I don't necessarily mean WMA's, I'm more about the tens of thousands of acres of water management lands, county owned lands, and other state owned lands and parks that are never hunted and are sanctuaries and breeding grounds for hogs.
  • Fish AddictFish Addict Posts: 686 Officer
    mossyhorn9 wrote: »

I agree 100%. I know they pay trappers to pull a lot of hogs off hickory hammock WMA and some of the STA's. Some of the biggest hogs ive ever seen have been at STA5
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    U should have seen the hogs on 5 before all the construction, it was amazing...best i've ever seen
    When you hunt with 10 of your buddy's and you each kill 10 then it's not that many now is it? Why don't you ask what swfmd does with the hogs they trap on their properties, I guarantee a loader is involved. I personally eat what I kill or give meat to friends. Sometimes I sell them. K?

2,000 - 3,000 Lb. (or more) of hog meat is a lot of give away ... must have a LOT of friends !

How's the bacon on them?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    2,000 - 3,000 Lb. (or more) of hog meat is a lot of give away ... must have a LOT of friends !

How's the bacon on them?

I kill between 10-20 a year myself and every piece gets utilized
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    I have been privileged in the past to hunt private lands and be the recipient of many hogs. As a group, we took those hogs and made good use of them. Knowing that we could only eat so much meat, we butchered each hog into chops, roasts and ground hundreds of pounds of sausage. That meat was given to families who could definitely utilize it in aiding their need for food. Nothing went to waste. Many of the skulls were cleaned and then given to teachers who used them for their students in some type of educational setting.
    There is no reason why this cannot be expanded upon and allowed to happen several times a year within the communities around these areas. There are organizations within this state that already reach out to sportsmen and women in seeking wild game to help feed the needy.
    I always chuckle when the discussion over exotic, invasive and non-native comes into play. There are creatures within the state that are protected within our boundaries that are abundant elsewhere but designated differently here. By now naturalization of this species has long since occurred. At the time of arrival within Florida, the white man didn't walk this land. Who are we to declare something so differently within an ecosystem that wasn't ours to begin with?
    If we were to give other such animals the same designation, then we wouldn't see the commercialization of several other industries here.
    Now if there was just a way for man to greatly profit from hogs, the quest to destroy them would have ended long ago.
    Hogs have been altering Florida long before the Anglo got here.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    U should have seen the hogs on 5 before all the construction, it was amazing...best i've ever seen

I remember going into 6 as it was being built years ago. That and the over-flow cells held more hogs than a stock trailer could carry. I was chased while opening the gate at 6 by a rather large ornery boar hog who had dug in near the gate. It was the first time that I had ran from a hog in decades. I laughed all the way to the truck.
    On second thoughts he may have been seeking out a snack instead of being disruptive.
    :grin
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    I am very lucky to have experienced hunting the V..

How's the bacon on them?

How much game do you kill a year? Honestly, I can remember us swinging 5 hogs a morning every weekend we hunted for weeks on end during regular hunting season. Are you doubting me, or are you insinuating something else? A normal hunting season for me usually produces at least a dozen hogs and four or five deer. I could care less what somebody does with a stinking old boar hog. They can toss them in a ditch for all I care. But like I said, if my family does not eat them, I give the meat to friends or sell it sometimes.
    How much game do you kill a year? Honestly, I can remember us swinging 5 hogs a morning every weekend we hunted for weeks on end during regular hunting season. Are you doubting me, or are you insinuating something else? A normal hunting season for me usually produces at least a dozen hogs and four or five deer. I could care less what somebody does with a stinking old boar hog. They can toss them in a ditch for all I care. But like I said, if my family does not eat them, I give the meat to friends or sell it sometimes.

Doing neither actually ... more surprised than anything else.

I don't hunt any more. When I did I took a moose every other year and it gave me ~ 5-600#'s of meat -- 2-300# a year. I also had about 100#'s of King Salmon and 40-50 grouse with the occasional beef steak, and so on. At my age now we don't eat much over 12 oz or meat a day between the two of us.

I'm guessing an average hog will net out 20-30# x 10 (your share) that is a LOT of meat. Fl deer maybe a bit smaller with 15-20#'s each. So, depending on who is getting fed it is plausible.

So again, how is the bacon? Do you brine it, cure it, smoke it or is it too lean to use? I've done a fair amount of domestic stuff but only had one wild hog and it was pretty lean. Did not have the belly though.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    I don't have a dog in this fight but I have friends that run hog dogs almost nightly between a few different lands and they just got the boot from one of them. They were told they aren't getting enough hogs and the land owners would contact someone who could remove a higher number. The guys I know were getting 2-5 a night up to 4 nights a week on this one particular property.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    I don't have a dog in this fight but I have friends that run hog dogs almost nightly between a few different lands and they just got the boot from one of them. They were told they aren't getting enough hogs and the land owners would contact someone who could remove a higher number. The guys I know were getting 2-5 a night up to 4 nights a week on this one particular property.

PUT 6 TRAPS OUT AND YOU would do way better then what he was doing and only need to check them ever couple days
    living life as i like
    micci_man wrote: »

How many are they expected to remove? How big of a piece of land?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,531 AG
    PUT 6 TRAPS OUT AND YOU would do way better then what he was doing and only need to check them ever couple days
    Them things do get trap shy.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain

Not always true. They can get trap shy in a hurry. You put traps out and they don't go in...homeowners of 500k+ houses don't want to hear excuses why their St Augustine lawn is upside down and you didn't catch any.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Them things do get trap shy.

This.
    AllenR wrote: »
    Not always true. They can get trap shy in a hurry. You put traps out and they don't go in...homeowners of 500k+ houses don't want to hear excuses why their St Augustine lawn is upside down and you didn't catch any.

move the traps around you don't just leave them in one spot .just like anything else in the woods they get use to it if sits in one spot to long .
    living life as i like
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    How many are they expected to remove? How big of a piece of land?

I'm not sure there was a number ever mentioned, just catch the hogs but it isn't enough apparently. It's 6k ac. They may have such high expectations that nobody can meet their demands. There are actually 2 other crews catching them as well so a good number of hogs are being caught/removed, just not enough apparently.

22- these are hog dog guys. Trapping to them is boring and using traps were never talked about in the agreement.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes