4-29-15

Went out today with my friend to try our luck after the rains. We tried the barge canal with no luck, we then tried drifting through the crab traps. I was using the Gulp shrimp glow color and started getting hits. Caught some whiting, Jacks, some small trout and a sailcat. The winds started picking up we then headed to CR. There caught a 16" redfish. Even though we didn't catch many, it was fun especially since I was skunked just about the entire winter. By the way, the whiting, we poached it Italian style with a little basil and some chopped up tomatoes, they were good.

Replies

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 831 Officer
    :thumbsup Whiting are very good.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Moon is right, whiting is very good...and thanks for the report...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 907 Officer
    You gotta hit the bars and spoil islands hard in the BC area. There are some good reds and some nice drum being caught. I'm surprised you didn't do much in the canal though, we caught tons of sand trout drifting through a few weeks ago. Thanks for the report and keep them coming!
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Wishin, it was right after the rains, going to try again at the BC tomorrow hopefully if the water calms down.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,773 Captain
    I agree w/ Moon & Bonz about those whiting> They are excellent eating!! I also agree w/ WIWF> the bars and islands along w/ the oyster bars hold all kinds of goodies if you hit them right!!! Some Big old Snooks patrol that area too so don't be too undergunned when fishing up there!!! I learned that the Hard Way!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Well went out with my wife and friends and hit an area just west of the Humps, caught many small trout, mangrove and a small sheepshead, my wife caught a 16" trout, the only keeper not going to live that down. We then moved and headed west to an area of the BC, didn't catch anything. There were other boats which appear to be doing the same. We then headed south towards the artificial reef but we stayed to the east a little ways, my wife caught a nice cobia and being a dumb husband, helped her and the cobia was lost. Not going to live that down either. Other wise we had a good day. All were caught on shrimp and some on Lil Johns. Sorry no pictures.

Well this morning, my wife got up and the first thing she said, not good morning etc, but "you lost my Cobia!"