Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Another Panther Killed

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,412 AG
All I can do is shake my head. Why does this happen. I am losing faith that FWC and the USFWS can save the population. Drunken joy-rding? Malicious intent? Stupidity? All of the above? You tell me.

Text:

At first, the dead Florida panther found lying on a Collier County highway last month appeared to be yet another roadkill victim.

But then a Gainesville veterinarian took an X-ray of the carcass and found a different cause of death. The endangered panther had been shot dead.

It's the seventh one shot and the sixth one killed that way in the past eight years.

Now U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials are offering a $5,000 reward for information, but odds are against them. Federal investigators have so far solved only two of the six killings of Florida's official state animal.

The latest panther to be shot was a 5-year-old male found about 8:30 p.m. on March 22 on Immokalee Road about a mile from where it intersects Camp Keas Road northeast of Ave Maria University and the Panther Run Golf Club.

longer article here. >>> http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/panther-shot-killed-officials-investigating/2227503

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,912 AG
    As cool as they are to see...lot's of Deer Hunters have seen what the Cats did to the Glades population and don't want that happening to their herd.
    I like to see them myself but I sure don't want them on my hunting lease.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 13,176 AG
    As cool as they are to see...lot's of Deer Hunters have seen what the Cats did to the Glades population and don't want that happening to their herd.
    ditto
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Pretty sure my 12 year old and I saw one last year at our hunting place in Faceville, Ga. Was just before dusk and it sure looked like a cat running away from us in the woods. It stayed low to the ground and had a very long tail and was hauling ****. Not sure what I would do if I did come across one hunting with my kids.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 12,224 AG
    If it's brown it's down- good old boys

They should ring up the offenders
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    Glad it was a good shot. I thought I caught him in the hindquarter.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    Maybe their number are better than people realize.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,388 AG
    All I can do is shake my head. Why does this happen. I am losing faith that FWC and the USFWS can save the population.

At first, the dead Florida panther

Don't get your panties in a wad....no such thing as a "Florida Panther" as a distinct species....if we run out we can always have more shipped from Texas (again)....at least Texans have the presence of mind to classify them as vermin.
  • knotty boysknotty boys Posts: 1,898 Captain
    Rusty thought it was a bobcat with a long tail
    Some people are like a slinky, not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
  • PolarPolar Posts: 22,492 AG
    rock_fish wrote: »
    If it's brown it's down

I used to say that about my women
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 12,224 AG
    Polar wrote: »
    I used to say that about my women

I say it about cougars
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,640 Captain

Hmmm. According to the python thread, the python's decimated the deer population.

"Winners take responsibility, losers blame others"

Megyn Kelly

• Eddy dEddy d Posts: 292 Deckhand
    The govt keeps saying there is a population of around 300 panthers. Road kill on a yearly basis is 30+, They do not have a good count on these Panthers/cougar/mountain lions. There are alot more than panthers than are being reported. Keeping the numbers artificially low allows the govt to close large areas to hunters and outdoor people and brings more federal money for "studies"
    Big Game Liquors.com :Glass
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,490 AG
    they are way more panthers than they have led us to believe, I have one in my neighborhood eating all the feral cats
    169304.GIF
  • robertgrantrobertgrant Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Is it the same guy that counts the Manatees
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,211 Captain
    coldair wrote: »
    they are way more panthers than they have led us to believe, I have one in my neighborhood eating all the feral cats

If true that is a good Panther.
    JKP wrote: »
    If true that is a good Panther.

the local cat alliance is not too pleased
    169304.GIF
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain

May I support your cat when it is done in your hood? There is a buffet here for it to choose from.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,521 AG
    Eddy d wrote: »
    The govt keeps saying there is a population of around 300 panthers. Road kill on a yearly basis is 30+, They do not have a good count on these Panthers/cougar/mountain lions. There are alot more than panthers than are being reported. Keeping the numbers artificially low allows the govt to close large areas to hunters and outdoor people and brings more federal money for "studies"

Sounds like they are responsible for Felinethrogenic global warming. Yes, it is the manatee hysteria all over again in another species of animal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    lots of people making a living off "endangered" species mangement
    169304.GIF
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Sounds like they are responsible for Felinethrogenic global warming. Yes, it is the manatee hysteria all over again in another species of animal.

Great...slow speed "Zones" for cats in our future...:rolleyes
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,521 AG
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Great...slow speed "Zones" for cats in our future...:rolleyes

lol...........I don't hate cats. I actually fed an orphan nappy azzed kitten for two years that became a full blown alley cat. He disappeared a couple of months ago. I suspect his "road warrior" days did him in and became "road kill". However it pisses me off that the FWC not only coddles panthers and wildcats and even imports exotic cougars into this state. In fact, our state animal should be the mosquito, the state bird is the sand gnat.:rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,586 Captain
    Eddy d wrote: »
    The govt keeps saying there is a population of around 300 panthers. Road kill on a yearly basis is 30+, They do not have a good count on these Panthers/cougar/mountain lions.

300 panthers
    150 female panthers
    At least 100 female panthers reproducing.
    If half of those survive 50 new panthers a year.

Hence population growing. :shrug
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Remember the male panther that was released earlier this year along the Kiss.River? Would you think that they would release a male cat into an area without a female somewhere near?
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,388 AG
    300 panthers
    150 female panthers
    At least 100 female panthers reproducing.
    If half of those survive 50 new panthers a year.

Hence population growing. :shrug

Consider that the average litter size is 2-3 cubs, with occasional litters as high as 5 or 6 cubs, and you can see how the population can quickly outpace its carrying capacity.
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    coldair wrote: »
    lots of people making a living off "endangered" species mangement

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!!
    and another one bites the dust

An early morning wreck that snarled traffic along Interstate 75 Thursday happened when a car hit a panther, according to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
    The crash took place at 6:18 a.m. in the southbound lanes near Mile Marker 123, according to the Florida Highway Patrol, and involved injuries. The panther was killed, becoming the 17th panther to die in 2015 and the 11th killed by a vehicle.
    But even after the scene had been cleared and lanes of traffic were reopen, motorists continued to move slowly.
    Congestion also affected southbound lanes of U.S. 41 at Corkscrew Road East as drivers left the freeway to find a quicker route south.
    Traffic maps are showing continued congestion along I-75 South between mile marker 128 and mile marker 116.
    169304.GIF
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,586 Captain
    Consider that the average litter size is 2-3 cubs, with occasional litters as high as 5 or 6 cubs, and you can see how the population can quickly outpace its carrying capacity.

True. I was giving the worst case scenario showing the population would still grow.
  • TarponatorTarponator Posts: 19,975 AG
    I wish they'd place "stupid rednecks who intentionally kill wildlife" on the vermin list.

On a related note, I was speaking with a guide friend in Charlotte Harbor yesterday. They saw a cougar swim into Bull Bay, scale a pole, and eat the young egrets in the nest at the top, then back down the pole and swim back to shore. I've got a slightly grainy picture of the cougar in the nest.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 13,176 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I wish they'd place "stupid rednecks who intentionally kill wildlife" on the vermin list.

On a related note, I was speaking with a guide friend in Charlotte Harbor yesterday. They saw a cougar swim into Bull Bay, scale a pole, and eat the young egrets in the nest at the top, then back down the pole and swim back to shore. I've got a slightly grainy picture of the cougar in the nest.
    can you get me coordinates?
    TYVM.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.