Home General Fishing

Ethanol Free VS Marine Grade Fuel ????

joeymjoeym Posts: 62 Greenhorn
What if any is the difference?
Hello All,

We are want to protect our engines as best we can. having said that I have a relatively easy question but needs to be asked regardless.

What is(if any) the difference between Ethenol Free gas and Marine Grade Gas for my boat. My local station is offering ethanol free 89 octane gas and I would like to consider it , rather than me doing the usual premixing with oil and gas treatment. Maybe I should just use the ethanol free $3.25 per gallon being offered.

thanks

Joe
Joe
Tampa, FLorida

"Finding the pattern is what I live for, the more challenging, the better"

Replies

• PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    you premix oil in your gas? does your boat run on a weed eater motor?
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I don't think there is a non-ethanol fuel. Just another lie! I believe they are permitted to call it that if it contains less than 5%. But I could be wrong. However it's still preferred over ethanol fuel.
  • CameronCameron Posts: 208 Deckhand
    In most cases there is no difference between E0 (Ethanol free) and "marine grade". Some gas detergents *might* be different but not enough to notice a difference even over years of use IMO.
  • joeymjoeym Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Yes I premix and the boat is an outboard...
    Pilchard wrote: »
    you premix oil in your gas? does your boat run on a weed eater motor?
    Joe
    Tampa, FLorida

"Finding the pattern is what I live for, the more challenging, the better"
  • T-DaddyT-Daddy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    As I understand the issue, ethanol fuel will release H2O in the tank in the form of condensation, which given enough time will create sufficient quantities of liquid H2O in your tank, which then gets pumped through the engine. Which obviously can cause problems with burning the fuel properly and can cause rusting. If you are running a small outboard or any size outboard where you can disconnect the gas line, do that and run the motor until it quits when you pull out after a trip. Leaving a full tank of ethanol based fuel in your tank during the off season or for any extended period of time may/will cause problems with that fuel remaining in the tank. My boat on the coast runs diesel, but the bass boat and small outboard for the ghenee are gasoline and I typically use the marine grade fuel, which is more expensive. There are fuel additives that can address the problem as well. Same thing is true for lawn mowers and other gas powered tools.