Friday 4/24 Fishing Report

Saw the weather window lining up nicely for last Friday.....I needed a nice flat calm day to go out with my wife who does not take well to any extreme ocean movement. Typically I keep my boat in Haulover Marina, but I had my 200 hour service due plus I am getting new electronics installed this week. Kept my boat on the trailer and decided to head down to Islamorada for the day.

This is a report of breaking one of the golden rules.....leaving fish to find fish..

Barely 15 minutes out saw a nice patch and we caught our first keeper Mahi, with a couple of throwbacks. Decided to head out to the humps and on the way saw lots of bird working a school of Tuna....trolled around the school and immediately had a double hook-up. My wife tried to grab a rod but could barely lift it out of the rod holder. I knew this was a nice fish and I traded my rod with my wife to give her the smaller fish and started to chase it down as it was rapidly stripping line of my reel. The fish was hooked on 50lb Braid on a Talica 2 Speed reel but I could not stop it.....It just kept on diving. Realizing I was going to get spooled, I tried to put maximum drag on the reel to break it off and at least get my line back...no luck as I could not stop it. Got to my backing and the fish managed to spool my entire Talica Reel with 50lb Braid on maximum drag.....What the heck was that??? Anyone have any idea?

Trolled up a bunch of Football Blackfin Tuna (also a Skipjack - YES, I have the license) and wore out my wife reeling in fish after fish on light tackle.....then left fish to find fish after getting tired of catching Tuna....Pretty quickly saw another weed line and a jumping Mahi. Headed over and quickly hooked up on Mahi. My wife also hook up on a little Shark which she greatly enjoyed and was released unharmed. I wanted to keep my wife busy and the Mahi cooperated quite nicely.....I also played with one of my Williamson Jet Popper lure and got a couple of hook-ups, including almost getting hooked with a lure being thrown back at me after a jumping Mahi. Left the fish to yet again, find more fish.....

We decided to go after another species....Yellowtail Snapper. On the way to the spot saw at least 3 free jumping Sailfish, with more Mahi which we decided to bypass.

Ended up getting the Yellowtail balling up behind the boat. Coached my wife to the point when she finally got to the point of getting a consistent hook-up on the Yellowtail. Left the fish biting to go home.

Friday was one of those days when really you could do nothing wrong...we could have easily limited out on Mahi, Yellowtail, and caught countless more Football Tuna's on nothing more then Lures and frozen Ballyhoo's (ok, I did catch a few jacks to use as bait for the Mahi's). In the end we had more the enough.

Here are some pics of Mahi grilled up. Also the Blackfin were delicious..... Still got a few more meals to go! We are on the Paleo Diet, so fish fit in quite nicely.
2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**

Replies