Friday 4/24 Fishing Report

Saw the weather window lining up nicely for last Friday.....I needed a nice flat calm day to go out with my wife who does not take well to any extreme ocean movement. Typically I keep my boat in Haulover Marina, but I had my 200 hour service due plus I am getting new electronics installed this week. Kept my boat on the trailer and decided to head down to Islamorada for the day.

This is a report of breaking one of the golden rules.....leaving fish to find fish..

Barely 15 minutes out saw a nice patch and we caught our first keeper Mahi, with a couple of throwbacks. Decided to head out to the humps and on the way saw lots of bird working a school of Tuna....trolled around the school and immediately had a double hook-up. My wife tried to grab a rod but could barely lift it out of the rod holder. I knew this was a nice fish and I traded my rod with my wife to give her the smaller fish and started to chase it down as it was rapidly stripping line of my reel. The fish was hooked on 50lb Braid on a Talica 2 Speed reel but I could not stop it.....It just kept on diving. Realizing I was going to get spooled, I tried to put maximum drag on the reel to break it off and at least get my line back...no luck as I could not stop it. Got to my backing and the fish managed to spool my entire Talica Reel with 50lb Braid on maximum drag.....What the heck was that??? Anyone have any idea?

Trolled up a bunch of Football Blackfin Tuna (also a Skipjack - YES, I have the license) and wore out my wife reeling in fish after fish on light tackle.....then left fish to find fish after getting tired of catching Tuna....Pretty quickly saw another weed line and a jumping Mahi. Headed over and quickly hooked up on Mahi. My wife also hook up on a little Shark which she greatly enjoyed and was released unharmed. I wanted to keep my wife busy and the Mahi cooperated quite nicely.....I also played with one of my Williamson Jet Popper lure and got a couple of hook-ups, including almost getting hooked with a lure being thrown back at me after a jumping Mahi. Left the fish to yet again, find more fish.....

We decided to go after another species....Yellowtail Snapper. On the way to the spot saw at least 3 free jumping Sailfish, with more Mahi which we decided to bypass.

Ended up getting the Yellowtail balling up behind the boat. Coached my wife to the point when she finally got to the point of getting a consistent hook-up on the Yellowtail. Left the fish biting to go home.

Friday was one of those days when really you could do nothing wrong...we could have easily limited out on Mahi, Yellowtail, and caught countless more Football Tuna's on nothing more then Lures and frozen Ballyhoo's (ok, I did catch a few jacks to use as bait for the Mahi's). In the end we had more the enough.

Here are some pics of Mahi grilled up. Also the Blackfin were delicious..... Still got a few more meals to go! We are on the Paleo Diet, so fish fit in quite nicely.
2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**

Replies

• Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Epic
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,593 Captain
    Could have been a big yellow fin tuna they have
    been coming thru. Nice catch.
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,100 Officer
    Hats off for you buddy, you have become a comple angler able to have success catching multiple species, including learning the technique of balling up those tails and catching them continuously without spooking them. I agree that big fish was probably a big yellowfin. Congrats on your catching great job, tight lines.
  • I say Bluefin not yellow fin on the line stripping! Its perfect time for them to be moving out of the Gulf!
  • copout@castaways[email protected]ays Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Good stuff Tomm. I'd say your tuna was eaten by a resident shark.

See you next Wednesday!
  • MyWay_MyWay_ Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I think you were spooled by a shark. This happened to me a couple weeks ago as I was trolling a large school of tuna and one of the footballs got eaten. I thought it was a yellowfin or even a bluefin until we got it to the boat an hour later only to realize it was a big shark.
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 847 Officer
    awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • farincofarinco Posts: 223 Officer
    Good Job Tomm! and thanks for the report. I second that notion, I believe you got the taxman treatment :willynilly
  • BaileyLegalBaileyLegal Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Solid report
  • Dbsurfer419Dbsurfer419 Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Most likely a Porpoise, I remember trolling the humps and having Porpoise skyrocket on my hooked BFT's...could not reel fast enough that day. One Porpoise ate a hooked Tuna and almost spooled my TLD25, it took max drag and two anglers palming the spool to pop it off...
  • Perez3611Perez3611 Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Thanks Tomm, Great Report!

I also fish from Haulover all the time, hope to see you at the water someday.
  • rhino2000rhino2000 Posts: 184 Officer
    nice day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.
  • wahitowahito Posts: 43 Deckhand
    wow what a great day!
    2011 Dusky 252 Twin Suzuki 150
  • corriccorric Posts: 148 Officer
    Super Tomm! Nice batch! RC
  • TommTomm Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Thank you everyone. I was secretly hoping that it was a Yellowfin and could eventually stop it and bring it in.....oh well.

My wife has been eating Blackfin for the last couple of days - today she tried making Seared Sesame Crusted Tuna, but overcooked it - still tasted great, but certainly did not come out as beautiful as the picture in the recipe :-) She will try again tomorrow.

Benny - I got you to thank for teaching me the ropes on the Yelllowtail.... It is definitely fun to teach other people as well. My wife was getting frustrated fishing for them initially, but then like a switch she seemed to get the rhythm and started catching them.
    2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**
    Here is Ahi Tuna awesome with BF!

You can try Tuna Tartar also great!
    Ahi tuna

You need a very HOT pan with little oil, you cook it for SECONDS not minutes, after that you let it get to room temperature and then goes to the fridge to cool, better if chill.

Tuna Tartar I guess you can find the recipe on the web.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,464 Captain
    Amazing day on the after with a nice haul of fish. Feel free to PM me on how to ball up YT's...

Pura Vida!
  • chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    Fantastic day! Congrats Tom!
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Great job!