Late Post-Terrible Fishing 4-25/4-26

^SUPPOSED TO BE 4-18/4-19^

Saturday me and Jake had a chance to get out but we couldn't find much happening north of Cr. I believe it was mainly due to there being no water and sunny it was impossible to get a snook on topwater. After waiting forever we got into some areas but you know with our boat we probably scare everything before we have a chance to start fishing. Anyways it was very windy and we didn't want to fish in alot of areas we might have been able to or anywhere with rough water so we heading south by the scallop grounds to look for trout and sharks. There was a million small sea trout with few keepers mixed in and lots of mackeral and baby sharks if you wanted to mess with them. It turned around to be eventful, it's always nice to catch a fish every single cast even when they are small at least they were gamefish :grin

Go Pro Video

https://youtu.be/8VBMLPjj-MM

Sunday I took my old friends I call the twins and there friend from work out. It was incredibly windy we tried hiding from it in a few places with no luck went into the barge canal a little but it was never ending catfish all day long. Went to the discharge same story. I wanted to get them into the silver trout in the barge or find sharks in the discharge. The Barge was way too rough and the discharge was all catfish, so already this wasn't going well. Then we headed looking for snook and even in like 2ft of water there was insane white caps and was miserable. We called it early again with a terrible fishing day. Tried to make catching catfish look fun though. I like to keep record of the good and the bad for myself and maybe if others care, I don't only post successful trips because I'm still learning and they don't always happen.

Go Pro Video

https://youtu.be/Y2njHSdLB_c

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
    You were fishing , so that's always good.

Thanks for sharing.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    thanks for the post. I rarely do well in the wind either...but macks are tastey fresh.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    Lots of action in the 1st video was cool> Small fish (exept that mack) are a whole lot better than No Fish!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    I chose to stay close to home this weekend for that reason. Still, I'd rather catch catfish all day than do the yard work I did yesterday.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 649 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I chose to stay close to home this weekend for that reason. Still, I'd rather catch catfish all day than do the yard work I did yesterday.

Yup!
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 642 Officer
    I like the fight of the catfish but they are a serious pain...the baby trout and mackeral were fun. Need to figure out how to catch more snook and new places to go for reds. When I get a good flats boat with a trolling motor I'm going to fish a lot more places that I can't right now. People seem to do well in Ozello for reds and trout. I need to be able to move around more without spooking fish and fish more areas.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer - repeatedly - than catch useless catfish all day.

Especially with the warmer water/weather upon us, if the cats are busy get off the "catfish candy" of dead/live shrimp (waste of bait $), dead baitfish and other fresh/frozen natural baits like cut mullet and fish with artificials or LIVELY baitfish LIKE pinfish.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,248 Officer
    Sounds like I didn't miss out on anything being at an Art show in Melbourne this weekend. Seems like everyone had somewhere between bad fishing and near disaster.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    There are better days ahead...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 642 Officer
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer - repeatedly - than catch useless catfish all day.

Especially with the warmer water/weather upon us, if the cats are busy get off the "catfish candy" of dead/live shrimp (waste of bait $), dead baitfish and other fresh/frozen natural baits like cut mullet and fish with artificials or LIVELY baitfish LIKE pinfish.

That's how I feel. The only type of fishing I can do with them is straight down I was planning on an offshore trip but obviously the weather didn't allow it. Casting with 4 people is terrible and trying to fish points of any kind with only 2 people sucks. There wasn't much we could do.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    We all have those days, dont let anybody say they dont!
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,444 AG
    Fishing always sucks in the Big Bend, get the word out! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]