CK - 4/25 - Only one fish

...but boy was it a beauty!

Fished CK this weekend looking for a big trout, and I lucked out:

17063134707_178a53b0bf_o.jpg

5.2lbs, 26".

Sorry for the crappy photo quality... was out by myself so I had to use the front-facing camera on the cell phone.

Caught in about 2' of water on a paul brown devil-esque lure.

Replies

• PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice for sure, was it windy up that way?
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    Dang...and I thought the 24 incher we caught was big

Nice job and nice fish. The big boys love being in that shallow water with the reds.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Nice gator! Good job.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 650 Officer
    PONCE wrote: »
    Nice for sure, was it windy up that way?

Very windy... blew around 13-15 average all day... gusts were higher!... but not bad when you're in 2' of water.
    Billy wrote: »
    Dang...and I thought the 24 incher we caught was big

Nice job and nice fish. The big boys love being in that shallow water with the reds.

Bill

Yeah... I'm discovering that!
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Nice trout for sure! Congrats! Do I recognize you from GOFC?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    Great fish. My last windy fishing day was similar.. Few bites but big fish!
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    We got our butts kicked by the wind today out near CR. Looks like you stuck it out till later in the day than we did. NICE trout, almost don't want to keep them when they're that big.
    Nice trout for sure! Congrats! Do I recognize you from GOFC?

Yup, I am a member! Great organization!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,166 AG
    Super fish !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Holy smokes - darn good fish!

Paul Brown Devil is a great lure for specs but I've always thought of it more for cold weather cold water. Hmm...evidently NOT.
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Holy smokes - darn good fish!

Paul Brown Devil is a great lure for specs but I've always thought of it more for cold weather cold water. Hmm...evidently NOT.

I was still working super slow, too. My biggest trout have all come from very slow retrievals. I think the real big ones are super lazy.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Very nice, if you are only going to catch one that is the one to catch...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 889 Officer
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    Very windy... blew around 13

Awesome fish!! Congradz! We couldn't find anything in that mess yesterday> Got my world rocked by dem waves!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • lboverhoflboverhof Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Now that is a fat trout! It was crazy windy Satruday morning! We went out early and didn't move around a lot because of the wind. Half of dozen small rats and one keeper red at 20". Back at the dock by 12:30.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,959 Captain
    "One fish can make a day". That one would make a lot of days!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    lboverhof wrote: »
    Now that is a fat trout! It was crazy windy Satruday morning! We went out early and didn't move around a lot because of the wind. Half of dozen small rats and one keeper red at 20". Back at the dock by 12:30.

I thought I saw your car in the morning, but missed you guys. I've yet to catch a slot red this year!
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    That's a Beauty!! :bananaIf you don't get that fish you probably forget about that trip before the end of the year. Now 10 years from now you will remember the size, the conditions, exactly where you were fishing and what lure you were using. Funny how one fish can make it a great day. You don't get one that size everyday. Nice job braving the wind.:spin The Chiefland Rotary Tourney is next weekend, ya'll getting in it? I think me and my brother may do it even after as bad as last weekend was for us. You did throw that one back for us to catch.:grin
    Grasshopper
    Gator4Life wrote: »
    That's a Beauty!! :bananaIf you don't get that fish you probably forget about that trip before the end of the year. Now 10 years from now you will remember the size, the conditions, exactly where you were fishing and what lure you were using. Funny how one fish can make it a great day. You don't get one that size everyday. Nice job braving the wind.:spin The Chiefland Rotary Tourney is next weekend, ya'll getting in it? I think me and my brother may do it even after as bad as last weekend was for us. You did throw that one back for us to catch.:grin

Haha exactly. As soon as the fight was over I knew my day was done... nothing else that day would compare. I still have a giant grin from that fish.

Nah.. no tournament for me. But shoot, I was hoping to target reds that day cause of the great tide. Going to be a zoo!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,254 Officer
    Awesome fish! Every time I go out, I fish all day for that one big fish or sometimes for that one big hit. Don't catch a lot of fish, and sometimes none, but sometimes......... You're right, you can't top it at least that day, but probably fish for another while anyway.
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    Nice trouter KK!
    Brian
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,967 Moderator
    I think the real big ones are super lazy.

One of the biggest I ever caught was on a piece of cut pinfish in July just down river from Roy's restaurant in Steinhatchee.

I still believe it was used to eating left over bait the boats would throw overboard when coming in for the day.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    My biggest trout have all come from very slow retrievals. I think the real big ones are super lazy.

I'm not so sure as most of the big ones we catch come on a pretty fast retrieve over and right off the oyster bars. The big one caught the other day hit a Zara Spook seven times before he was hooked. I do think all trout are blind though. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    Since we're telling fish stories I caught a 26 inch trout on a topwater in Steinhatchee over the grass flats. There was tons of grass out there laying on the surface but I was throwing topwater anyway. A big trout smashed it even though the plug was partially covered in weeds.
    capt louie wrote: »
    One of the biggest I ever caught was on a piece of cut pinfish in July just down river from Roy's restaurant in Steinhatchee.

I still believe it was used to eating left over bait the boats would throw overboard when coming in for the day.

Haha.. clever girl!
  • vandyvandy Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    man that's nice