Home General Fishing

Shimano stradic still the gold standard?

124»

Replies

• 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Looking at all your prior post you really hate the company huh? Are you a Penn secret agent? Haha.

Yeah you bright rednecks caught me. I'm a secret agent. A double naught spy Jethro. But you got the team wrong. I only fish 70's era Ambassadeurs.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    superduper wrote: »
    there are so many negative people in this world, and what more proof do you need than this forum.
    everyone has to put in their opinion and then ss**** on everyone else. you people are ridiculous.

proof the "system" that controls us all is working out just as planned. I've never seen so much negativity in these last 5-10 years. you people are brainwashed.

there are truths on this forum, but its all opinion anyway. one reel may work just how you want it, while another may not, doesn't mean that the persons choice in reel is wrong, its just doesn't fit your opinion, doesn't mean you have to trash it.

say the guy does need a part for something that broke on a reel you don't like, what if he gets that part in 2 days, and not 6 weeks. what does that make your opinion look like then???

What I like about people with a "negative" opinion is that they are not afraid (ashamed) to tell you about their negative experience. IMO, aside from the guys with the "older" better stuff, there is probably a healthy split of positive reviews that come from guys that have a ci4, or whatever, fish 21 days a year, catch schooly trout and puffers and are afraid to get their reel wet. The reel always works, 21 days a year, and they love the fact that they have a fancy combo leaning against the wall. They're not afraid to tell you how great a product is because marketing makes them feel all warm and fuzzy about what they have. Throw that thing in the back of a truck, let it bump around in a rod holder in a good chop, snatch some lures out of the mangroves, get it wet and by all means catch a few fish, then come back and tell us how much you like it...
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I think that's a good observation. To counter it, after I decide which reel I'm going to buy, I always try to inspect a few reels at the counter before I choose one to purchase. That way you increase your odds of getting a "good" one.

I have no way of knowing if this really has any effect, but I've had very good luck over the years with reels, and I suspect this (along with regular maintenance) may be part of the reason why.

"inspect"?
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    I buy what works the best at the lowest price comparable to what folks or manufacturer says is the best for 3-4 times the cost.

Advertising means squat to me nor does a fishing show promoting a certain brand.....I am not a sheeple. I do not need or want what folks consider a must have promoed to death product.

In the end does a fish care what it was caught with....nah. Folks are more concerned how they look at the dock. "Hey look at me idling in on my Pathfinder while standing on my Yeti and cleaning my Costas with my Columbia shirt with a Stradic hanging out my butt."

"What you catch"
    "Not much but looked good doing it"

Not a slam toward serious fishing Pathfinder owners or guides. Great looking boats, just tired of the once/twice a month weekend warriors who think they are superior based on brand and their Salt Life, Costa, Yeti stickers plastered on their vehicle.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • stephenr_123stephenr_123 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Pcb_local wrote: »
    Man I didn't realize I was going to create such a fuss over brands! I ended up going with the Stradic CI4 and the 7'6" Calico jack. I'm going to decide for myself whether its worth the money. My only previous experience with Spheros FB that I loved so I'm interested how the Stradic will compare. I'm almost tempted to pick up a Symetre so I can compare the two side by side.

Haha man its amazing how heated a reel topic can get. In these forums you just have to weed through all of the BS and try to get the best input you can from some of the guys that have first hand experience with the reel. I think you made a great choice getting the CI4. I am by no means a seasoned fisherman. I am a big fan of Shimano reels but that is solely based on my own personal experience throughout the years. I have owned quite a few reels from various brands but I have had the best luck with Shimano. I know that this is a little late since you already purchased your reel, but I will say that Shimano definitely has some quality control issues. When I bought my CI4 I had the rep to bring me 4 reels so that I compare each of them. 2 of the 4 reels seemed to have issues with the handle bearing tolerance because there was above normal handle wobble.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Swamprat wrote: »
    Folks are more concerned how they look at the dock. "Hey look at me idling in on my Pathfinder while standing on my Yeti and cleaning my Costas with my Columbia shirt with a Stradic hanging out my butt."

"What you catch"
    "Not much but looked good doing it"

:funnypost

I gave much consideration towards my next surf reel. It had to be solid, able to withstand salt, sand and the test of time, made in USA, or at least Japan. And if at all possible, stand apart from the bleeting herd.

Don't think I did too bad:
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    All schoolie trouts and puffers here. Using my wannabe Ci4+ and soaking dead squid on a circle hook :banana

Sorry the gopro made the small fish look big on the pictures. I was so used to using my phone.

And I'm a proud weekend warrior or even a weekday warrior because sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to feed your family and serve your country.

By the way the mahis was caught using ice (from our boats yeti cooler) on a 2/0 circle hook.

Assumptions my friends.
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    What I like about people with a "negative" opinion is that they are not afraid (ashamed) to tell you about their negative experience. IMO, aside from the guys with the "older" better stuff, there is probably a healthy split of positive reviews that come from guys that have a ci4, or whatever, fish 21 days a year, catch schooly trout and puffers and are afraid to get their reel wet. The reel always works, 21 days a year, and they love the fact that they have a fancy combo leaning against the wall. They're not afraid to tell you how great a product is because marketing makes them feel all warm and fuzzy about what they have. Throw that thing in the back of a truck, let it bump around in a rod holder in a good chop, snatch some lures out of the mangroves, get it wet and by all means catch a few fish, then come back and tell us how much you like it...

I agree I fish with all my gears at least 2days a week with my kayak or wading trust me I beat the hell out of my gear and will give you the honest truth about a gear and also the manufacturer. I did have issue with QC with all the manufacturer but when they work Shimano and daiwa you can't beat.
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    I'm lucky enough to be retired and usually fish 6 days a week, often more than once a day. I keep a inventory of parts and many of my reels have been made out of spare parts or bought in estate sales. haydenfox hit it right on the head. Its all about feeling warm and fuzzy as you stand in a sea of fellow posers now. Lots of pics holding fish doesn't mean anything anymore either, sorry Coastie. In todays fake interweb world of sponsored bloggers and adobe photoshop, they hold no evidentiary value. Frankly nothing made today be it from the Pure Fishing conglomerates underpaid Chinese laborer to shimano's Malaysian robot factory, are worth much to a serious angler. You are simply buying equipment designed to be just like a computer or a apple phone....to be outdated before its 'newness' has worn off in your hands.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Throw that thing in the back of a truck, let it bump around in a rod holder in a good chop, snatch some lures out of the mangroves, get it wet and by all means catch a few fish, then come back and tell us how much you like it...

I like them! Like some said above by others, Im "fortunate"... To be able to fish 3/4 sometimes 5 days a week. I dont own a boat, and I PREFER wade fishing. Shimanos for the most part have treated me well. Ive caught a few fish on them, ripped lures out of mangroves lol

My element..... same deal last night, just nothing to show for it haha.
    0119 wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to be retired and usually fish 6 days a week, often more than once a day. I keep a inventory of parts and many of my reels have been made out of spare parts or bought in estate sales. haydenfox hit it right on the head. Its all about feeling warm and fuzzy as you stand in a sea of fellow posers now. Lots of pics holding fish doesn't mean anything anymore either, sorry Coastie. In todays fake interweb world of sponsored bloggers and adobe photoshop, they hold no evidentiary value. Frankly nothing made today be it from the Pure Fishing conglomerates underpaid Chinese laborer to shimano's Malaysian robot factory, are worth much to a serious angler. You are simply buying equipment designed to be just like a computer or a apple phone....to be outdated before its 'newness' has worn off in your hands.

Hahaha, got yeah 0119. Sounds like someone stopped taking their happy pills. I thought fishing is suppose to calm one down. It does for me specially fishing from my yak. Anyways, I hope you live the rest of your life a just a little bit happier bud.
    I like them! Like some said above by others, Im "fortunate"... To be able to fish 3/4 sometimes 5 days a week. I dont own a boat, and I PREFER wade fishing. Shimanos for the most part have treated me well. Ive caught a few fish on them, ripped lures out of mangroves lol

My element..... same deal last night, just nothing to show for it haha.

Beautiful snook man! You wade fishermen do abuse your reels (not on purpose) a little more than us yakkers.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    It's all clear to me now, and I've also come to realize there isn't any good music anymore and these kids have no respect... It's true, they just dont make 'em like they used to...