Home General Fishing

Shimano stradic still the gold standard?

Replies

• johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    I remember that TDA , gotta keep those shafts coated with marine grease.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I've got all Shimano reels, I replaced all of my Penn's years ago because I was having a consistent issues with line lay and wind knots. I even went back to mono on a few only to have the same issues, sans wind knots. I have 3 Stradics FI's, 1 Stradic Mg, 1 Stradic FJ, 3 Sustain FE's, a Sustain FG and a Stella FB. The older Shimano's are great reels, the FE's being my favorite (probably more because the rod one is on) The Sustain FG is a piece of junk and if it wasn't for the loss I'd take on it, I would sell it. It's been through line roller bearing, drag parts, clickers and so on. I take great care of all of my stuff, it's almost an issue, actually. With that being said, the best Shimano reel I've bought lately is the Stradic FJ that is on my girlfriends rod. I did own a Ci4 for a little bit, but traded it for a fly rod. Unless something changes, I am not likely to buy another Shimano reel above the FJ for now, but that could change. The parts have gotten so light that they're weak and fragile. I like light, but I don't like weak. I'm not in the market for a new reel and won't be for a long time, but when I am, I am not likely to focus on Shimano so much.

The good news is the older Shimano reels I own have needed nothing, ever. Just rinse them after use and break them down every other year for cleaning/lubing. Other than the FJ, all of my reels are 8 years old or older and all work beautifully. I'd eBay a 3000 FI in a second and call it a day.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    yes, I see. I shoulda just said same parts that drive it. No difference worth the extra 60.00
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    I don't know about the new ones, but my six Stratics are all more than 10 years old now and doing just fine.
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    twirp wrote: »
    I've got all Shimano reels, I replaced all of my Penn's years ago because I was having a consistent issues with line lay and wind knots. I even went back to mono on a few only to have the same issues, sans wind knots. I have 3 Stradics FI's, 1 Stradic Mg, 1 Stradic FJ, 3 Sustain FE's, a Sustain FG and a Stella FB. The older Shimano's are great reels, the FE's being my favorite (probably more because the rod one is on) The Sustain FG is a piece of junk and if it wasn't for the loss I'd take on it, I would sell it. It's been through line roller bearing, drag parts, clickers and so on. I take great care of all of my stuff, it's almost an issue, actually. With that being said, the best Shimano reel I've bought lately is the Stradic FJ that is on my girlfriends rod. I did own a Ci4 for a little bit, but traded it for a fly rod. Unless something changes, I am not likely to buy another Shimano reel above the FJ for now, but that could change. The parts have gotten so light that they're weak and fragile. I like light, but I don't like weak. I'm not in the market for a new reel and won't be for a long time, but when I am, I am not likely to focus on Shimano so much.

The good news is the older Shimano reels I own have needed nothing, ever. Just rinse them after use and break them down every other year for cleaning/lubing. Other than the FJ, all of my reels are 8 years old or older and all work beautifully. I'd eBay a 3000 FI in a second and call it a day.

Light does not = weak for inshore use all the new Shimano and Daiwa is fine good thing about composite is they don't rust like aluminum also new reels from Daiwa and Shimano the gears are so fine compared to older reels from that it dissipate heat better than gears and shaft that are larger . So no they are not weak just more efficient.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    Wonder wrote: »
    they don't rust like aluminum .

Rusty aluminum... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I don't know about the new ones, but my six Stratics are all more than 10 years old now and doing just fine.

I think you hit on a key point.

What Shimano made back then...was far superior... to what they want more money for today...

I can't tell you how many guys say " Man, I wish I had my old reel back"
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Rusty aluminum... :rotflmao

My bad corroded
  • jayseasjayseas Posts: 815 Officer
    Check out the Daiwa ballistic EX. Smoother than a babies bottom.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,337 Moderator
    I like beer.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    Tarponator wrote: »
    This is where I'm at and if I can keep taking care of them they'll probably out last me.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I didn't say light equaled weak, although I did elude to that I guess. Point is, the reels are not near as tough and durable as they were. Period. Definitely not worth the extra coin they demand for them now, not to me anyhow. As for the gears dissipating heat quicker, c'mon man, you're not serious (but you are)....I've caught more fish and put my reels through more...never mind. I might as well be pissing up a rope.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    Did your feelings get hurt?.... Don't be upset...plenty of other lemmings run off cliffs too!

Your last sentence is..... ONE IMPORTANT FACT.... add in that you paid way too much for the marketing...and the sad sad fact that they are just not that good.

Pretty presumptive, but hey what's new? I'm not upset quack. I truly do apolize if calling you quack made you upset though. I have better things to do on a daily basis to be upset about what some quack said on the interwebs. Anyways I digress, you da man :wink

OP, enjoy that 4K CI4+. I've had mine for over two years and it's just as smooth as the day I bought it. Caught some maybe 15-20 pound juvi tarpons, mahis, over slot snooks and reds on it. I also owned two 3K Stradics FJ for a year with no problems. Sold them in favor of the CI4+. Tossing artis all day is nice with the CI4. The Daiwa Ballistic EX looks good and with the EBay prices I might just try a 2500.
    twirp wrote: »
    I didn't say light equaled weak, although I did elude to that I guess. Point is, the reels are not near as tough and durable as they were. Period. Definitely not worth the extra coin they demand for them now, not to me anyhow. As for the gears dissipating heat quicker, c'mon man, you're not serious (but you are)....I've caught more fish and put my reels through more...never mind. I might as well be pissing up a rope.

Does he mean since the gear is fine = more teeth = more surface area = disipates heat better? I know this to be true on tube and bundle and plate type coolers on engines. But then again there's really not a lot of inshore species that runs that crazy so.... I don't know?
    Pretty presumptive, but hey what's new? I'm not upset quack. I truly do apolize if calling you quack made you upset though. I have better things to do on a daily basis to be upset about what some quack said on the interwebs. Anyways I digress, you da man :wink

You seem mad....

I get it...You have much love for the Ci4...so much so that you made a cleaning / servicing manual.

I have not been impressed with the Shimano stuff i've owned...or stuff of friends i've used (Sustains) and I have a young guy ( a forum member) who fishes with me that has two..and the Ci4 he doesn't even bring anymore..nothing but issues.

Your opinion is they are great...
    Mine is they are over hyped and over priced.

The OP can take the opinions for what he paid for it...nothing.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Does he mean since the gear is fine = more teeth = more surface area = disipates heat better? I know this to be true on tube and bundle and plate type coolers on engines. But then again there's really not a lot of inshore species that runs that crazy so.... I don't know?

Torque creates heat and friction in theory so a small gear will dissipate more heat faster than a larger size gear also don't forget the type of metal use on the pinion and the rest of the moving parts also has a big affect on the equation. As far a surface area that is also a good point you pointed out 👍 but that's why the new reels are smoother because they create lest friction and theory should hold up better .
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,100 Officer

I have not been impressed with the Shimano stuff i've owned...or stuff of friends i've used (Sustains) and I have a young guy ( a forum member) who fishes with me that has two..and the Ci4 he doesn't even bring anymore..nothing but issues.

Mine is they are over hyped and over priced. .

Duck I agree. But some products (teramar rods, e.g.) are well worth the $100-120, compared to what is out there. I have a few of their rods. I stripped out an old stradic 300 about 10 years ago landing a 42" snook. I like my stradic fj5000, but would never pay the $200 asked. I was given one by a Shimano rep after I made him fish with $80 quantum bocas, aka "heavy metal"and a smoke 30 (worthless piece of junk no longer around). I poked at him all day long about the shifting of production centers, quality dropping off, prices increasing and the new 1 yr warranty...

I have found that from batch to batch of a particular reel, quality can be variable. I find it very interesting that every reel I have received as a replacement or purchased directly from manufacturer has been excellent and performed well, regardless of brand. The stuff off the shelf is where I have had my problems.

The one question I still have after using these reels for 13 years is " Are the Stradics really saltwater reels" or just "approved" for saltwater? They are not listed by Shimano as Saltwater reels, I believe. That said, one down and one to go, I'll see how long my newer one lasts. I was considering a Thunnus for tarpon fishing, if I can get a deal on one but have not heard much about those.
    You seem mad....

I get it...You have much love for the Ci4...so much so that you made a cleaning / servicing manual.

Mine is they are over hyped and over priced.

The OP can take the opinions for what he paid for it...nothing.

Not mad duckman (see I didn't call you quack? Maybe this will help with you thinking im mad, haha), no reason to. Yes I like my CI4+, base on my personal experience and I did a servicing/cleaning post to help members out instead of the typical post and useless replies that's seen here. When I purchase my Ballistic don't worry I'll do a cleaning post on that too.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    permit_me wrote: »
    I have found that from batch to batch of a particular reel, quality can be variable. I find it very interesting that every reel I have received as a replacement or purchased directly from manufacturer has been excellent and performed well, regardless of brand. The stuff off the shelf is where I have had my problems.

I think that's a good observation. To counter it, after I decide which reel I'm going to buy, I always try to inspect a few reels at the counter before I choose one to purchase. That way you increase your odds of getting a "good" one.

I have no way of knowing if this really has any effect, but I've had very good luck over the years with reels, and I suspect this (along with regular maintenance) may be part of the reason why.
    permit_me wrote: »
    Duck I agree. But some products (teramar rods, e.g.) are well worth the $100-120, compared to what is out there. I have a few of their rods.

I do agree with you...I was impressed with the Terramar at the $100 price point.... the change in warranty is a knock though...but if you have everybody and their brother breaking stuff negligently...yet wanting a replacement...you really can't blame them. St Croix is more realistic with a 5 year...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    St Croix is a pain. Want me to ship a rod all the way almost to Canada for a defective thing. Wish the local rep would just take it
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
    Not mad duckman (see I didn't call you quack? Maybe this will help with you thinking im mad, haha), no reason to. Yes I like my CI4+, base on my personal experience and I did a servicing/cleaning post to help members out instead of the typical post and useless replies that's seen here. When I purchase my Ballistic don't worry I'll do a cleaning post on that too.

I am not so sure I'll be back in Diawa camp after my experience with both of my 2500 Team Advantage reels...the one with the cheap **** chromed steel junk handle shaft. Hard to believe (yet true) that a company that sells you a complete reel for $10 (Shakespere) has the same part that comes in a $160 reel....and they want $38 plus shipping for replacements. It galls me that the engineers don't understand what a "Rockwell hardness scale" is...since they don't understand a harder metal pin...thru a soft metal shaft...will wollow out and be looser than an old who-oar...
    So, I by a couple $10 reels for the parts.... now I have several handle-less cheap reels.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I am not so sure I'll be back in Diawa camp after my experience with both of my 2500 Team Advantage reels...the one with the cheap **** chromed steel junk handle shaft. Hard to believe (yet true) that a company that sells you a complete reel for $10 (Shakespere) has the same part that comes in a $160 reel....and they want $38 plus shipping for replacements. It galls me that the engineers don't understand what a "Rockwell hardness scale" is...since they don't understand a harder metal pin...thru a soft metal shaft...will wollow out and be looser than an old who-oar...
    So, I by a couple $10 reels for the parts.... now I have several handle-less cheap reels.

Good to know and I hope this doesn't hold true with either the new Procyon or the Ballistic because I might end up buying one of each.
  • Pcb_localPcb_local Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Man I didn't realize I was going to create such a fuss over brands! I ended up going with the Stradic CI4 and the 7'6" Calico jack. I'm going to decide for myself whether its worth the money. My only previous experience with Spheros FB that I loved so I'm interested how the Stradic will compare. I'm almost tempted to pick up a Symetre so I can compare the two side by side.
    Good to know and I hope this doesn't hold true with either the new Procyon or the Ballistic because I might end up buying one of each.

I would look at the the handle "input cross body shaft" .... if it is the same style as the one in the TDA...I would walk away.
    The Ballistic EX supposedly has the handle that screws to the main gear...a better option IMHO
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • stephenr_123stephenr_123 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    One thing you also need to consider is reel maintenance. I'm the type of person that likes to replace my own reel parts and do my own maintenance as needed. With the stradic FJ/CI4+ you are easily able to disassemble the reel if you ever need to replace a part, add a little oil to the bearings or grease the gears. Now that the Ballistic EX incorporates the magseal technology you will have to send the reel in to Diawa for any kind of maintenance that requires you to get into the gearbox. I could have bought a lemon, but before returning my Ballistic one thing I noticed is how the smoothness of the reel turns noticeably rougher as soon as you have any kind of load on the reel even just retrieving a light bucktail. I'm not sure if this could be related to reel having a bushing instead of a line roller bearing but I have not never noticed this issue with my FJ or CI4+.
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Im glad your CI4 could reel in a bucktail. Mine couldnt reel in a 15# red with 10# power pro and a loose drag, without torquing the bail arms. Good luck getting your d.i.y. shimano parts 6 months after its discontinued.....
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    there are so many negative people in this world, and what more proof do you need than this forum.
    everyone has to put in their opinion and then ss**** on everyone else. you people are ridiculous.

proof the "system" that controls us all is working out just as planned. I've never seen so much negativity in these last 5-10 years. you people are brainwashed.

there are truths on this forum, but its all opinion anyway. one reel may work just how you want it, while another may not, doesn't mean that the persons choice in reel is wrong, its just doesn't fit your opinion, doesn't mean you have to trash it.

say the guy does need a part for something that broke on a reel you don't like, what if he gets that part in 2 days, and not 6 weeks. what does that make your opinion look like then???
    0119 wrote: »
    Im glad your CI4 could reel in a bucktail. Mine couldnt reel in a 15# red with 10# power pro and a loose drag, without torquing the bail arms. Good luck getting your d.i.y. shimano parts 6 months after its discontinued.....

Sounds like user error. :dance hahaha. Was this the old CI4?

Looking at all your prior post you really hate the company huh? Are you a Penn secret agent? Haha.

Though I'm not a big fan of their rods (crucial and one I cannot recall). Except for my old teramar. That thing was was bullet proof!
    I would look at the the handle "input cross body shaft" .... if it is the same style as the one in the TDA...I would walk away.
    The Ballistic EX supposedly has the handle that screws to the main gear...a better option IMHO

I looked at the schematics and the Ballistics handle screws to the main gear the Procyon has that style you're talking about. Ballistic it is.