Home General Fishing

Shimano stradic still the gold standard?

24

Replies

  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    Swamprat wrote: »
    Not sure how to take that but no biggie....all water off my back.

    Just trying to state most folks are way over thinking and way over gunning for a simple trout or red.

    Agreeing with you.... spending silly amount of $$$ to buy a fancy "stick" or a "premium" reel....
    Somehow people have been conditioned to think the NEED this stuff to be successful.

    When generally.... A Stradavarius for the tone deaf... :grin
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    10-Roger.....My motto is if it worked 5 years or 25 years ago why spend more money for the same results.

    Yes, equipment has improved but does a 200 dollar reel catch as much as a 50 dollar one. Biggest improvement I have seen over the last 20-25 years is the plastic bait department both salt and fresh. Other than that my old beat up topwater plugs are just as effective as the newer stuff out there.
    Jackson Cuda 12

    A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Until recently, I fished a lot on the flats with a 1000 stradic and never came close to running out of line. Having said that, I never tied into any real submarines with it either. There was one time fishing Ponce inlet from the NSB jetty when I hooked a 30-31" red that took me to within 5-10' of being spooled but it had the current working with it. There was also the time we ran into a school of 25-30# black drum on the flats and hooked up a couple with a 3000 reel. While I was never in any "danger," the 1000 would have been way overmatched.

    The bigger reds I have hooked with the 1000 have taken longer to bring in than I am really comfortable with. Yes it's a sport, and part of that is giving the fish a sporting chance to recover by having the power to force it in after a few minutes while it still has some juice left. This is particularly important when water temps are high.

    *Getting off my soapbox now.*

    On another note, I just bought a Pflueger supreme XT 35 which is about the size of your average 3000. I picked it for several reasons: It weighs 8.6 oz, has 34" retrieve rate, and the start up is so light it feels like it is reeling itself. Important features for someone who has been fishing (reeling reels, mostly for bass which is like saying reeling twice,) for about 35 years and works with his hands, and beginning to feel the negative effects from such while still in the mid-forties. All for just over a hundred dollar bill. It will be my arti spinner for the flats. My only concern is that it has a magnesium frame, but the factory has it rated for saltwater use so I should be okay. It will probably go on a 7' star seagis since you guys are too cheap to buy a new w tags one from me for $120.
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Carlo wrote: »
    I can understand not loving certain reels, but when you start using silly slander for brand names you've lost something.

    Really? I've made it my life's most important passion to blast shimano every chance I get. I've spent thousands on shimano's, the lowest priced being stradic's and including a few Calais'. The only thing worse than fishing with shimano is being subjected to their arrogant and disinterested employees they call customer service. To buy shimano is a simple act of setting your money on fire and kissing the rectum of the designed for planned obsolescence god.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    0119 wrote: »
    Really? I've made it my life's most important passion to blast shimano every chance I get. I've spent thousands on shimano's, the lowest priced being stradic's and including a few Calais'. The only thing worse than fishing with shimano is being subjected to their arrogant and disinterested employees they call customer service. To buy shimano is a simple act of setting your money on fire and kissing the rectum of the designed for planned obsolescence god.

    :Agree Very well written and I totally agree. :applause
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I fish regularly with a Stradic FH 1000 and 5000 and just recently purchased an FJ 5000 (because I found a deal on a rod I wanted that I just couldn't refuse). Before purchasing I compared the FJ to a CI4, Ballistic, a Battle, and a Spinfisher at my local Bass Pro and even tried out a Quantum Smoke PTI but ended up returning it for the Stradic (I liked the Smoke but the main shaft started corroding in less than two months). It felt best on the rod and the 5000 offers a lot of line capacity, a great handle, plus light weight. I've abused my other Stradic's over the years since I wade fish and they have held up with minimal maintenance (freshwater rinse - wipe down with anti corrosive - yearly service at Kel's). If I get half the service out of my new one it will be worth the price. BTW - I throw everything from top water to soft plastics with light weighted hooks with it - plus have caught some monster reds in Haulover - best multi purpose reel IMHO.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Here'a good review of the FJ5000:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIsPiHhb3XI
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    I love how duckman reverts to saying someone is a kool-aid drinker. Hahaha. It's pretty sad how people would just bash a reel w/o owning one or owned one and didn't have the brain the take care of it so it failed. How about you all present some facts? I do agree it sucks not having any support a couple of years after a reel is discontinued. You get 6 or so years from a $150 - $200 reel if you're half as mechanically inclined as a chimpanzee. Even if it does break, how much did that cost you annually? $33? **** that's pretty good! Or sell it and recoup some money and buy a different brand! Hey that's thinking out of the box!

    Also I guess I'm a Yeti kool-aid drinker, bought mine 50% off ages ago. Costa kool-aid drinker, I get a 45% discount. Ford truck kool-aid drinker because I drive one. Hobie kayak kool-air drinker because I own one. Chiquita bananas and egglands best kool-aid drinker because I eat them every morning. Oh lets not forget about the Oscar Mayer kool-aid i drink (well maybe eat) during the weekends. Very dumb argument. Hahaha.
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Until recently, I fished a lot on the flats with a 1000 stradic and never came close to running out of line. Having said that, I never tied into any real submarines with it either. There was one time fishing Ponce inlet from the NSB jetty when I hooked a 30-31" red that took me to within 5-10' of being spooled but it had the current working with it. There was also the time we ran into a school of 25-30# black drum on the flats and hooked up a couple with a 3000 reel. While I was never in any "danger," the 1000 would have been way overmatched.

    The bigger reds I have hooked with the 1000 have taken longer to bring in than I am really comfortable with. Yes it's a sport, and part of that is giving the fish a sporting chance to recover by having the power to force it in after a few minutes while it still has some juice left. This is particularly important when water temps are high.

    *Getting off my soapbox now.*

    On another note, I just bought a Pflueger supreme XT 35 which is about the size of your average 3000. I picked it for several reasons: It weighs 8.6 oz, has 34" retrieve rate, and the start up is so light it feels like it is reeling itself. Important features for someone who has been fishing (reeling reels, mostly for bass which is like saying reeling twice,) for about 35 years and works with his hands, and beginning to feel the negative effects from such while still in the mid-forties. All for just over a hundred dollar bill. It will be my arti spinner for the flats. My only concern is that it has a magnesium frame, but the factory has it rated for saltwater use so I should be okay. It will probably go on a 7' star seagis since you guys are too cheap to buy a new w tags one from me for $120.

    No disrespect , but I use to say the samething no high end reel is going to catch you more fish until I started using Arti . I'm no brand **** , but shimano does make great reels for arti fishing . Yes I would say the stradic ci4 + and the Diawa ballistic ex is the standard . When you cast 1k times weigh does matter . Also not to bash anyone I Own several sustain Fg and Stella FI and also Diawa ballistic . So what I'm trying to say is when you go Arti fishing weight of the reel and feel makes a lot of difference and also to fish with a top end reel from whatever manufacture that turns you on is on you , the fun factor of fishing with a top end reels is like no other . You will never know till you actually do it . Look at the top end reels and compare the daiwa steez ex has an anti reverse switch that is expose to water when you are wading the Stella does not. Little minor details that ppl miss.
  • Pcb_localPcb_local Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Looks like I'm going with the Stradic CI4+ 4000. I would have gone smaller, but since it's going to be use for everything short of Cobia and King I decided to stick with the 4000. I'm probably pairing it up with a 7'6" Calico Jack.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    From my understanding the FJ, particularly the 5000 and up borrow from last model's Stella technology - so basically a Stella for half the price.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Pcb_local wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going with the Stradic CI4+ 4000. I would have gone smaller, but since it's going to be use for everything short of Cobia and King I decided to stick with the 4000. I'm probably pairing it up with a 7'6" Calico Jack.

    Paired with braid that will be a nice multi purpose setup there.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I've been fishing the flats mostly with a Daiwa 2500 exceler for the last 15 years with zero regrets. First thing I do is open them up and grease them including the roller bearing on the bail.
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Pcb_local wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going with the Stradic CI4+ 4000. I would have gone smaller, but since it's going to be use for everything short of Cobia and King I decided to stick with the 4000. I'm probably pairing it up with a 7'6" Calico Jack.
    Why not a redbone rod or a star steller lite ?
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Sounds like $$ is the issue but if you wait and save it cost you lest in the long run ?
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Wonder wrote: »
    No disrespect , but I use to say the samething no high end reel is going to catch you more fish until I started using Arti

    I spell out why I bought a high end reel for throwing artificials, you say "no disrespect, but" and then go on to reiterate what I just wrote. Is it because I am paying less than half for my high end reel that meets or exceeds the other one's performance? Or because though the brand has been around forever, folks that can't see past slick marketing don't recognize it for what it is?

    I have owned a Sustain FE and FJ stradics. The Sustain was exceptional and I wish I hadn't sold it when I bought into the fj hype. After owning a 3000 and 4000 fj I couldn't wait to get rid of them. Heavy startup and the bail on the 4k racked my knuckles when turning the handle (what the heck?) The Pflueger Supreme XT has better specs than the Sustain FG, let alone the newest Stradic at almost a third of the price.
  • Pcb_localPcb_local Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Wonder wrote: »
    Why not a redbone rod or a star steller lite ?
    I just happen to handle the Calico Jack while at work today and really liked it. I'll be sure to check the others out if we have any in stock. I really liked the Star Seagis, but would have a hard time justifying the price over the Calico Jack.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    folks that can't think past slick marketing don't recognize it for what it is?

    Most of what drives "high end" tackle sales......
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    Pcb_local wrote: »
    I just happen to handle the Calico Jack while at work today and really liked it. I'll be sure to check the others out if we have any in stock. I really liked the Star Seagis, but would have a hard time justifying the price over the Calico Jack.

    You would like the Star..... You will like the Calico Jack..... You will love saving $75 on a "stick".
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    Long thread and lots of input. Even though it sounds like you have decided I still gotta share a little. I went from Pflueger Sup XT to Ci4 to Finally Daiwa Ballistic (2014 model) in the 2500 size. The Air rotor engine is insanely smooth. I have finally switched all 6 daily use reels (wife and I) to Daiwa. The 2015 model of the Ballistic that I just bought the wife two weeks ago is even better. The engine and transmission set-up in the Ballistic line of reels (includes the LEXA and PROCYON models) is better feeling in your hand and as smooth a drag as there has been produced...ever.

    Pricing:
    Ballistic - retail 199.99 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 160.00 - I found 158.00 delivered
    Lexa - retail 169.99 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 149.00 - 136.00 delivered
    Procyon - retail 149.00 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 129.00 - 129.00 delivered

    I have taken each of them completely apart and compared...NO diff in ANY parts, just color and marketing

    Offer for PCB: I still have several Pflueger Supreme XT's (35 & 40 size) here at the house. If you'd like to try one out, for free, drop me a line. You'll just need to stop by and pick it up...T'ville.

    As far as Rods are concerned that pair with them...for "off-the-shelf" rods, I really like the St Croix line (mojo inshore, mojo bass and Rage) in the 7'6" lengths. Again, I do not pay retail and you can beat it on ebay anytime by a bunch of cash over the retail stores.
    My friend Phil from Port Richey is a Reel repairman and custom rod builder and he offered me a deal for a custom built rod...I just pay for parts. He did some measurements of ME (my arm for fulcrum/pivot points and throwing style). Personally I have always been a BOMBER long caster and with this Rod, using less effort, I can easily outcast what used to be "way-out-there". I am SOLD on custom rods but the problem is that I (being a retired Navy guy) can not afford to just replace all my rods with customs at one time. The parts alone are approx 200.00 retail store (mudhole). I am getting another custom (Breast Cancer Themed BLACK and PINK) for my wife and I guarantee hers will be like casting 300 WinMag or a AT4 with a little Skitter or Stick shadd
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    0119 wrote: »
    Really? I've made it my life's most important passion to blast shimano every chance I get. I've spent thousands on shimano's, the lowest priced being stradic's and including a few Calais'. The only thing worse than fishing with shimano is being subjected to their arrogant and disinterested employees they call customer service. To buy shimano is a simple act of setting your money on fire and kissing the rectum of the designed for planned obsolescence god.

    The answer..... put as simple as it needed to be.

    :applause
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    I love how duckman reverts to saying someone is a kool-aid drinker. Hahaha. It's pretty sad how people would just bash a reel w/o owning one or owned one and didn't have the brain the take care of it so it failed. How about you all present some facts? I do agree it sucks not having any support a couple of years after a reel is discontinued. .

    Did your feelings get hurt?.... Don't be upset...plenty of other lemmings run off cliffs too!

    Your last sentence is..... ONE IMPORTANT FACT.... add in that you paid way too much for the marketing...and the sad sad fact that they are just not that good.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Did your feelings get hurt?.... Don't be upset...plenty of other lemmings run off cliffs too!

    Your last sentence is..... ONE IMPORTANT FACT.... add in that you paid way too much for the marketing...and the sad sad fact that they are just not that good.

    No hurt feelings here quack. I can tell you're a pro at forum arguments because of your slick style if singling out a sentence or a phrase and not quoting the whole picture.

    Again no facts. Other than the warranty but hey I'm not a warranty KOOL-AID drinker.

    Have a good day quack. Enjoy your throne here at the online forums. Hahaha.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    RealSeabee wrote: »
    Long thread and lots of input. Even though it sounds like you have decided I still gotta share a little. I went from Pflueger Sup XT to Ci4 to Finally Daiwa Ballistic (2014 model) in the 2500 size. The Air rotor engine is insanely smooth. I have finally switched all 6 daily use reels (wife and I) to Daiwa. The 2015 model of the Ballistic that I just bought the wife two weeks ago is even better. The engine and transmission set-up in the Ballistic line of reels (includes the LEXA and PROCYON models) is better feeling in your hand and as smooth a drag as there has been produced...ever.

    Pricing:
    Ballistic - retail 199.99 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 160.00 - I found 158.00 delivered
    Lexa - retail 169.99 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 149.00 - 136.00 delivered
    Procyon - retail 149.00 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 129.00 - 129.00 delivered

    I have taken each of them completely apart and compared...NO diff in ANY parts, just color and marketing

    Offer for PCB: I still have several Pflueger Supreme XT's (35 & 40 size) here at the house. If you'd like to try one out, for free, drop me a line. You'll just need to stop by and pick it up...T'ville.

    As far as Rods are concerned that pair with them...for "off-the-shelf" rods, I really like the St Croix line (mojo inshore, mojo bass and Rage) in the 7'6" lengths. Again, I do not pay retail and you can beat it on ebay anytime by a bunch of cash over the retail stores.
    My friend Phil from Port Richey is a Reel repairman and custom rod builder and he offered me a deal for a custom built rod...I just pay for parts. He did some measurements of ME (my arm for fulcrum/pivot points and throwing style). Personally I have always been a BOMBER long caster and with this Rod, using less effort, I can easily outcast what used to be "way-out-there". I am SOLD on custom rods but the problem is that I (being a retired Navy guy) can not afford to just replace all my rods with customs at one time. The parts alone are approx 200.00 retail store (mudhole). I am getting another custom (Breast Cancer Themed BLACK and PINK) for my wife and I guarantee hers will be like casting 300 WinMag or a AT4 with a little Skitter or Stick shadd

    the procyon ex does not have a handle that screws into the main gear , like the ballistic ex. the ballistic also has two more bearings than the procyon.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    RealSeabee wrote: »
    Long thread and lots of input. Even though it sounds like you have decided I still gotta share a little. I went from Pflueger Sup XT to Ci4 to Finally Daiwa Ballistic (2014 model) in the 2500 size. The Air rotor engine is insanely smooth. I have finally switched all 6 daily use reels (wife and I) to Daiwa. The 2015 model of the Ballistic that I just bought the wife two weeks ago is even better. The engine and transmission set-up in the Ballistic line of reels (includes the LEXA and PROCYON models) is better feeling in your hand and as smooth a drag as there has been produced...ever.

    Pricing:
    Ballistic - retail 199.99 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 160.00 - I found 158.00 delivered
    Lexa - retail 169.99 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 149.00 - 136.00 delivered
    Procyon - retail 149.00 - Ebay/Aftermarket approx 129.00 - 129.00 delivered

    I have taken each of them completely apart and compared...NO diff in ANY parts, just color and marketing

    Procyon has a metal body, Ballistic is carbon fiber, which Daiwa calls "Zaion"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    No hurt feelings here quack. I can tell you're a pro at forum arguments because of your slick style if singling out a sentence or a phrase and not quoting the whole picture.

    Again no facts. Other than the warranty but hey I'm not a warranty KOOL-AID drinker.

    Have a good day quack. Enjoy your throne here at the online forums. Hahaha.

    Yes, It is evident " No hard feelings" since you call me "quack" .... :rolleyes

    Don'tr be mad because you gave the fact.......that you said doesn't exist.....In your own post. :grin

    and no throne...just a keyboard and opinion...like everyone else.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Lots of mud slinging in here lol. Just make sure you try them all, then you'll settle on the Ci4+/Ballistic EX like the rest of us.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Shimano stradic was never the gold standard
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Shimano stradic was never the gold standard

    And fibbermckee's post are worth reading. :liar

    I like my ci4's. Shimano has never really given me trouble. My buddy has a quantum smoke, what a POS.
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    johnD wrote: »
    the procyon ex does not have a handle that screws into the main gear , like the ballistic ex. the ballistic also has two more bearings than the procyon.

    And that is a good feature...or your Diawa could have a thru shaft look like this...

    IMG_20140816_193134_zps4qbox092.jpg

    IMG_20140816_193134_zps4qbox092.jpg


    Luckily for me...a $10 Shakespere reel has that same part...so I didn't have to pay $38 for a new handle and shaft.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
Sign In or Register to comment.