Home General Fishing

Shimano stradic still the gold standard?

Pcb_localPcb_local Posts: 10 Greenhorn
After not fishing much the last few years due to school I'm finally getting back into it. I'm looking to put together a 4000 class setup for inshore stuff such as trout, redfish, spanish and looking for suggestions. So is the Stradic still the gold standard? I'm just looking for a quality reel that can handle saltwater. I'm open to suggestion as the Stradic would be a little pricey for me if there's other options out there. Bonus points if ****'s sporting goods carries it since I can use my employee discount.

Replies

• congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 4000 is what you seek
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    You can get a Pfluger President and a Redbone, spool it with braid, and a 6 pack for less than a stradic and have a nice set up.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    May I suggest a 2500/ 3000 unless you are going to be around structure. Docks and mangroves a 4000 is perfect. On the flats/ open water, a little bigger than you can get away with, especially if you are throwing artificials.

There are a lot of reels out there at almost half the cost that are just as good as the fj. I had a 3 and 4k and replaced them with pflueger patriarch and penn battle ll and may never go back to Shimano. What they have in smoothness when you are reeling them in the store, they make up for when reeling under load. They aren't rough, but I've noticed when you put a Shimano under load it takes more effort to reel against the reel, let alone the fish. I wouldn't call it binding, but that may be the closest word to describe what is happening. I think it may have to do with the worm drive oscillator design.
  • HJaredHJared Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Stradic 5000 is the best size for anything its just a tad heavier than the 4000 and I like line capacity I caught a grouper over 20lb on it. I have a 3000 5000 6000. Only buy a redbone if u want to break it and keep paying to ship u a replacement. I had 3 broke them all warrenty replaced them but had to pay $15 each one so sold em. My friends like the redbones but he's ok with rods breaking I seen 2 of his rods snap. Star rods still have warrenty and don't break
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 4000 is what you seek

Yes still the golden child, ajanti dagger.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    May I suggest a 2500/ 3000 unless you are going to be around structure.

This ^^^

And Shimano is the most over rated reel ever produced..EVER.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Pcb_localPcb_local Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I'll be fishing around structures and from piers too so that why I was looking at a 4000 series reel. Seems like Shimano is getting some negative feed back, should I look else where? Maybe Quantum Cabo?
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    The Stradic FJ is a very good reel and I've had good luck with the cheaper Shimanos but I admit I haven't been as impressed with my more expensive Shimanos like the Sustain and Stradic C4i+.

When you say a reel that can take saltwater.. are you referring to standing up to saltwater fish, saltwater spray, or immersion in salt water? If you're talking about dunking it... none until you get to some really expensive reels. If you're talking about a little spray and fighting redfish then most will be fine.

The Daiwa have Magseal which is supposed to be keep water out better. The Ballistic is a really nice reel. The Cabos feel good but have had a mixed history... no personal experience here though.

Don't get hung up on numbers like 4000 size. A Daiwa 3000 and a Shimano 3000 are not the same size.

Btw, the difference between a Stradic FJ 4000 and 5000 is the spool and handle knob. The 5000 has more capacity and a better handle know and weighs only 1oz more although thier website states the same.
  • LB200LB200 Posts: 298 Officer
    Opinions are like... well, you know. The stradic is still a good real but the price has climbed so much that it seems like they should be even better than they are. In this day and age where it is possible to drop $600 on reel alone it has become a little hard to decide what is "good" "better" "best" scenario based solely on pricing. There are Shimano, Diawa and others that are all more than capable of doing whatever you want to do with proper care for years to come. I have been using the Diawa Whisker reels for years and never had an issue other than the anti reverse going out. I rinse then off every time and they have always held up well to the saltwater. Falcon rods have been serving me well for years as well and do not break the bank. I will say that I have numerous Redbone rods and have yet to ever break one. The TFO rod I bought for dock fishing feels really good in hand and has performed well in my opinion.
    A Penn Battle ll is a workhorse for under $100. Unless you are tossing pinfish for lunkers under those docks, a 3000 IMO will be fine to serve double duty. I think its only weak area when it comes to fishing around structure is the high retrieve rate but that is splitting hairs.

IOW, if you fish structure > 40% of the time, get the 4000.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    IMO, "Gold standard" is to be set up to do the most you can with what you got. Find the right combination and you'll get more mileage out of two $100 reels than you would with one $200 reel. There won't be that much difference. Earn your cool points with bent rods rather than a logo...
  • Chawk20Chawk20 Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I own a few stradics and quantum smokes and they are garbage. I'm giving the penn battles a shot this year.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I've had stradics for years now and they all work perfectly. I recently upgraded from the FJ to the Ci4+ and it's phenomenal.

A light mist of freshwater after use and some Inox every so often does wonders for your gear.
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Chawk20 wrote: »
    I own a few stradics and quantum smokes and they are garbage. I'm giving the penn battles a shot this year.

Penn is garbage poor line lay and also heavy trust me I own some that now sits and collect dust. Shimano Stradic CI4 + is 3000 on a Star rods seagis 7 foot 8 to 17 lbs class is a good starter gear that would last a lifetime . Save your money and buy the best also new Daiwa ballistic ex is good too.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    Interested in selling your Penn garbage? What do you have?
    Carlo wrote: »
    I've had stradics for years now and they all work perfectly. I recently upgraded from the FJ to the Ci4+ and it's phenomenal.

A light mist of freshwater after use and some Inox every so often does wonders for your gear.

I always rinse them off along with the boat after every use. I do not own a CI4 so I can't have an opinion on them but my friend has some and was not to impressed. IMO the Fg and FH where good decent reels but I noticed after the FH quality went down hill along with some of Shimanos other line of reels. Currently I think the fi and fj are not worth what we pay.
    Wonder wrote: »
    Penn is garbage poor line lay and also heavy trust me I own some that now sits and collect dust. Shimano Stradic CI4 + is 3000 on a Star rods seagis 7 foot 8 to 17 lbs class is a good starter gear that would last a lifetime . Save your money and buy the best also new Daiwa ballistic ex is good too.

Interesting. I'll have to check out daiwa the last daiwa I owned was the SS and never had a problem that I can recall thanks for bringing up daiwa.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    As of late have been hearing good things about Pflueger, seriously thinking of trying them out for my next reel purchase.

Some may laugh but I have been using Okuma spinner mainly for the last few years both salt and fresh and it has held up and performed well for the price. Nowadays my older Penn SS reels are usually for fishing live bait.

As with any reel a good rinse after salt use with some regular maintenance does wonders for a reels longevity.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    I would say it's still the gold standard, however there are a few reels at a little over half price, that I feel are better spent money. Daiwa, quantum, and even penn have reels around $100 to $150 that will get the job done in similar fashion.
    Swamprat wrote: »
    As of late have been hearing good things about Pflueger, seriously thinking of trying them out for my next reel purchase.

Some may laugh but I have been using Okuma spinner mainly for the last few years both salt and fresh and it has held up and performed well for the price. Nowadays my older Penn SS reels are usually for fishing live bait.

As with any reel a good rinse after salt use with some regular maintenance does wonders for a reels longevity.

The best flats fisherman I know uses Okuma spinners almost exclusively. He laughs alright. Everytime he hooks up and gets another red boatside.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    Too many people around here drinking the ****mano coolade. IMHO, best "affordable" reel in today's market is the Daiwa Ballistic. There are other higher priced reels such as a Daiwa Certate or Shimano Stella. I own a Certate and fish my Ballistic more than the Certate. Better machining than ****mano, Mag Oil sealed, denser carbon fiber body (Zaion) than the Ci4+ and the Aluminum Quantum Cabo. A lot better bail and great line lay. Then 3000 Daiwa is the size of a 4000 ****mano. If you don't mind the weight, Procyon is basically the same reel with a metal body and is only a little heavier. IMHO, the advertised max drag means nothing because I have a finger or palm that can put more pressure on the spool than the drag washers, even to the point of stopping the line from going off the reel at all.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 666 Officer
    Man, 4000 series for trout/redfish? I use a 1000 FJ for trout and redfish, and a 5000 for grouper!... this is a sport, right?
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Every Stradic I've owned had problems with the antireverse, and I hated the way line wrapped around the bail roller if I didn't close the bail manually. Now all my spinning reels are Daiwa or Quantum, and no problems.
    Man, 4000 series for trout/redfish? I use a 1000 FJ for trout and redfish, and a 5000 for grouper!... this is a sport, right?

Yep, these are the same folks who think they need a reel spooled with 350 yards of 20 plus pound of braid for fishing 15-24" trout and slot reds in 2 foot of water over a open flat.

Maybe it's just me but I can use the same type of setup I used in 1990 now in 2015 with no noticeable difference in the quantity or quality of shallow water salt fish.

Cost does not equal better fish catching opportunities.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • fishing-guyfishing-guy Posts: 543 Officer
    I fish with shimano for many years now, is a good reels , but the ballistic daiwa , is smoth drag , big reserve of line , for now I d ont have any problem after some month of fishing , snd catching some really nice fish on it from king fish, to big redfish,cobia, sharks , I really thing is better quality, little more weight but not a big deal , love it
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Yep, these are the same folks who think they need a reel spooled with 350 yards of 20 plus pound of braid for fishing 15-24" trout and slot reds in 2 foot of water over a open flat.

Maybe it's just me but I can use the same type of setup I used in 1990 now in 2015 with no noticeable difference in the quantity or quality of shallow water salt fish.

The beauty of the Ci4+ 4000 is you can easily target slot Snook/juvenile Tarpon without strain, and because it only weighs 9oz (less than a Ballistic 2500) one can easily loosen up the smoothest-In-The-Business drag and have a heck of a time catching trout. It's genuinely replaced two reels in my arsenal.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I can understand not loving certain reels, but when you start using silly slander for brand names you've lost something.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG

That's crazy talk.... I bet you didn't drink your kool-aid did you? :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 666 Officer

Ya.. it's bizarre; in open water I cant even imagine how big a trout or red would need to be to make me nervous with my 1000 series, though my biggest inshore red is only around 13lbs and trout a bit over 5lbs, neither were particularly difficult with the light setup, and I can cast insane distances all day long and not get tired, and thoroughly enjoy each battle.
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    That's crazy talk.... I bet you didn't drink your kool-aid did you? :rotflmao

Not sure how to take that but no biggie....all water off my back.

Just trying to state most folks are way over thinking and way over gunning for a simple trout or red.
    Jackson Cuda 12