Coming to a waterway near you !!

Keep dumping and polluting the Estuary. A BIG Thank you goes out to our USELESS Government !!

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_25285.shtml
jgocnk.jpg
Tight Lines..

Replies

• Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Keep dumping and polluting the Estuary. A BIG Thank you goes out to our USELESS Government !!

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_25285.shtml

:signs

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    :signs

You calling me "stupid".. see if I ever buy you lunch again... haha... :grin
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain

Sounds pretty bad - a toxic algae bloom this early in the season. I hope that they got the locks closed in time.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    You calling me "stupid".. see if I ever buy you lunch again... haha... :grin

Rick, that is a sign of "affection" :grin:grin

Now, as far as lunch goes.. you must admit, I'm one of the cheapest dates you've ever had.. :rotflmao:rotflmao

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 985 Officer
    So if this "toxic" algae dies when it touches saltwater, why is it a danger to the estuary (which is saltwater)?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    as reported, the bloom was starting on Wendsday east of the lock.....the discharges did not start before the bloom developed..... proof that discharges are not the only reason blooms occur.
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Totally screwing our waterway again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • auburn fishingauburn fishing Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I HAVE KEPT saying over and over and over again, is ANYONE
    "up there" listening???? Work on the Plan 6 Flowway, which would
    divert water south, ideally (I hope), into grasslands to the south
    and, ultimately, into the Everglades and Florida Bay! Those releases,
    in the future -this'd be a LONG project, could be regulated so that
    this new area is not "inundated" with water it isn't 'used to'. A more
    natural pathway could have a 'filtering effect' (how much?) on any
    toxic algae. But a lot of that comes from the excessive nutrients and
    pollution (livestock/cattle) in current agricultural 'run-off'. At least
    this avenue'd be available at some point in the future (maybe, even,
    a couple of years). This is WHY it's essential to look into the Plan 6
    Flowway NOW!! I have been WARNING about this before!!

I would attach (don't know how to attach in FS) this plan, except
    it exceeds the length allowed for posts! Goto the Rivers Coalition
    site ("Google") where you will find it.
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    No one cares till it actually happens. Seems like it was last week since everyone was all riled up last year
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 661 Officer
    State officials have confirmed to Jacksonville District leaders that the algal bloom tested positive for micro
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 661 Officer
    Microscystin, a substance procuded by freshwater cyanobacteria.

So this bloom is caused by cyanobacteria "only found in freshwater" but yet the dumpings had nothing to do with it @SaltySenior? Please explain that one to me... It's certainly not the only reason but when a type of bacteria that is only found in freshwater is now on the east side "saltwater side" I think to proof is in the puddin.

Friday is a HUGE day. It is the deadline for the legislative budget. We find out wether they will buy the land or not. Also, Friday we find out wether or not it is toxic algae and when the discharges will start again. They plan to have a protest at the locks again on Saturday to film the water entering our lagoon.
  • p914p914 Posts: 494 Deckhand
    proof that discharges are not the only reason blooms occur.
    Partially correct. Over time, the frequency of blooms chokes out or kills off the habitat making it more likely to reoccur in the same places with or without the discharge.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Microscystin, a substance procuded by freshwater cyanobacteria.

So this bloom is caused by cyanobacteria "only found in freshwater" but yet the dumpings had nothing to do with it @SaltySenior? Please explain that one to me... It's certainly not the only reason but when a type of bacteria that is only found in freshwater is now on the east side "saltwater side" I think to proof is in the puddin.

Friday is a HUGE day. It is the deadline for the legislative budget. We find out wether they will buy the land or not. Also, Friday we find out wether or not it is toxic algae and when the discharges will start again. They plan to have a protest at the locks again on Saturday to film the water entering our lagoon.

i'll essplane..... the bloom was found at the basin on the east side....there has not been any water let out for about 3 weeks other than the locks opening for boats...the salinity of that basin is close to zero....The west wind of the past days have blown any algae to the east side of the lake..Algae has formed under many different circumstances for years.....howbout the bloom in the cocoa area that really caused problems and there was no "dumping" there..

by the way, after the recent rainfall amounts in the Kissimmee River Valley, you better get your signs out of the closet.