Home General Fishing

Any alligator fishing experts here?

Replies

• PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    pottydoc wrote: »
    If you're gator hunting in Florida I'd delete the part about using hooks. Unless you want a visit from FWC.

He said he was in Texas. But thanks.

Don't think the FWC is going to come knocking since I didn't say I used hooks...

I use my bare hands to make it more exciting. I bleed them out with a ball point pen to the neck.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    michauxii wrote: »
    Geoff,
    It's open alligator season here until 30 June.
    He's already taken the neighbor's 8 month old Lab pup.He needs to be gone as the grandkids fish that area.

I'm pretty sure I can handle him. Anyways, Wife wants some boots and I want a holster for my Super Blackhawk.
    And the tail meat is pretty tasty.

Alligator season here in LA is the month of September, but can't choot 'em in a residential neighborhood. I assume in Texas it's also outlawed in a residential neighborhood or in a state park.

Just today, we have a very big 'gator in the bayou behind my house. He's at least 10' and was seen yesterday attacking and eating a smaller 'gator, about 6'. He's a very bad boy but we can't choot him. Called animal control and they'll kill him as soon as it stops raining here. Animal Control will catch and relocate smaller 'gators but those over 8' must be killed since they become territorial and will attack any living thing within reach.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Schmidty ... dont beat yourself up !!!
    Common mistake happens all the time
    around these parts !!!:grin

BD27 .... man you get around brother !!!!!
    Your definitely a fishin son of gun !!!!!:Rockon

I lived in Shreveport La for 17 years before moving to Florida 8 years ago . Caddo , Bisteneau (M.S.) , Red River , and Toledo Bend all within an hour or so drive . I've been very fortunate to live near some great fishing areas !!!!! I am never moving to a desert
  • michauxiimichauxii Posts: 54 Deckhand
    BD27 wrote: »
    Ya'll bought Potters Point ? You have some of the best bass fishing in the world in your back yard ! I couldn't tell you how many bass over 7lbs that I have caught within 100 feet of that point. I'm freakin' Jealous . I miss Caddo Lake .

FYI a 10 foot gator on that lake is a baby

Yeah, For the longest time it was known as Lakeview Lodge. Excellent seafood restaurant in a two story setting.
    It had six cabins for rent and a nice boat slip. people would motor across the lake,dock, and enjoy an outstanding dinner.
    Roughly twenty five years ago there was a major fire in the kitchen, and then a divorce IIRC and the owner decided to sell.

My wife's oldest sister bought the place and turned it into a nice residence 5500 square feet worth.When wife retired from USN in '07(Her last duty station was at Gitmo, where she was in charge of routine health care for the "terrorists,"and they hated her.. she came back to Jefferson and bought the oldest home in Jefferson, the old Presbyterian Manse circa 1829.

Her sister has been in failing health for the last several years, so she bought the place in 2011.
    Refurbished a couple of the cabins and is just starting to let them out for tourists-another reason these gators need to be gone.

The fishing is indeed a good as you said. I have replicas of an eleven and two heavy 12's that I caught around Sand Island just SW of the point.

If you are ever back over this way, I sure we can comp you into a cabin for a weekend.
    SkipperM.
    Deal , I'm trying to put together a vacation soon . I haven't been back since I left .

We better stop talking about those fish tho ! You'll be flooded with Fl tourist !

Who would have thought that Fl Bass would do better in Tx & La
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Oooooppppppssss !!! Too late !!!:wink
    Any of you Florida boys would be welcomed to come up and see this lake and stay in the cabins.

But Venice Louisiana in the fall is as good as it gets!
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    When you do something right, it's only done once....better to go loaded for bear when you are hunting deer or you maybe bear food....just saying......all my old school captains I apprentershiped with always taught me bigger is better, you just never know.....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Geoff,
    It's open alligator season here until 30 June.
    He's already taken the neighbor's 8 month old Lab pup.He needs to be gone as the grandkids fish that area.

I'm pretty sure I can handle him. Anyways, Wife wants some boots and I want a holster for my Super Blackhawk.
    And the tail meat is pretty tasty.

The laws for hunting gators in Florida versus Texas differ. I put in for tags every year here in Florida and have been very lucky in getting picked each year I've put in for them. A word of advice, if you've never dealt with a 10+ ft gator and have no experience catching and dispatching them, one that size is not what you should be starting with.
    Amen to that.....starting large in the gator biz is asking for trouble unless you have some knowledge from someone who has been there and done that already....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,057 Captain
    Pilchard wrote: »
    He said he was in Texas. But thanks.

Don't think the FWC is going to come knocking since I didn't say I used hooks...

I use my bare hands to make it more exciting. I bleed them out with a ball point pen to the neck.

It's more sporting to use a nail file. Anyone can kill one with a ball point. :)
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    I gotta tell ya something....

I always wanted to go out and kill one of them smelly mothers.....the only thing that stops me is fear!:dance

I've shot 13 bears in my life......one which had me by the leg and I busted a 300 grain hard cast custom load right in his coconut from my 29.......I took a Cape that ate 3- 500 solids before he took a nose dive...but "man".....throw a bat, rat, snake, giant lizard or alligator in front of me and I take the heat......I squeal like a pre-pubescent girl and by all means...please don't get in front of me when I draw down on it.....as I will keep hitting it until even the dead flesh stops quivering.......:rotflmao

I give you alligator murderin' boys a lot of credit.....
    Our animal control boys killed this big boy behind my house.
    Geoff,
    How long was that gentleman?
    We are headed to the lake today to set our hooks!
    Here's the menu to be served on super sharp 16/0 tuna hooks..

Set 1. Fresh beef lungs.
    Set 2. Large rooster split in half.

I'll take my SLR and camcorder.
    Wish us luck or good sense!
    good luck , come back with all your limbs . Make sure it's dead before you bring him in the boat . I would still tape his mouth shut in case he's knocked out .

I think you can grill the ribs 2
    Grilled gator ribs are great.....
    Well, I made a long post and somehow lost it.
    She was 7'8".
    I guess we under estimated the lenght of the male.

He might push 12.

Will try to have pics in the next day or so.

It was exciting!

Skipper M.
    Geoff,
    How long was that gentleman?

Eleven feet even, nose to tip of tail. There were two animal control men on the scene. They cast a big treble hook on 100# braid and pulled him close, then dispatched him with a large caliber rifle. Then they got in the water and roped him, pulled him on shore and dragged him to the street. I would guess the beast weighed 800 pounds!
    Amen to that.....starting large in the gator biz is asking for trouble unless you have some knowledge from someone who has been there and done that already....
    There's several of us posting on here that have been there and done that. Do you really think you're the only guy who can catch gators?
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,187 Admiral
    bonephish wrote: »
    Our animal control boys killed this big boy behind my house.
    Gotta love the bow roller. :grin
    We did not catch the big boy today.
    We did rebait with beef lungs. Caddo packing gave us 40# of lung. Smell to high heaven.

We bought 11, 20# bags of ice last night and put them under the gator.. and one on the top of her head.

Spent most of the day skinning her and boning out the meat. They are NOT easy to skin,

We did have to open her up to retrieve our hook and cable.
    Checked stomach contents. Interesting..
    She was full of fur and fur balls. We suspect nutria.

And quarter to half inch rocks. And at least 15 pieces of GLASS!! They must have been in her gut for sometime as they were all smoothed off.

Left the camera at the lodge. Will post some photos soon.
    I'm thinking the male is about the size that Bonephish posted,possibly a tad larger.
    Exhausted. To bed.
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    This thread is very interesting and entertaining, I want to know what happens next!! Good luck and stay safe :USA
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
    Do you understand my advice on using a game processor now? It is money well spent.

How many holes are in the hide? A processor will do it in 30 minutes with zero holes.

They sure can dull a knife quickly can't they? If you want to do the big guy by yourself when you get him, use an air compressor to separate the hide from the animal. Makes it much easier and you can use a 6" piece of 2-3" PVC to scrape the excess flesh from the inside of the hide. Just put a light edge on the end with a sander or file.
    We almost always use a processor for the reasons pilchard listed above. If we're gonna keep one to eat, then we do it ourselves. I never heard the PVC trick before, do you cut it in half lengthwise and hold the pipe horizontal, or leave it round and use it vertical?

Machauxii, good luck with the big one, post up some pics when you get him.
    Leave it round and hold it vertical. You want to file the inside edge of the pipe slightly so it comes to an edge. It doesn't have to be sharp. Just enough to catch the flesh. It will scrape the hide clean without having to worry about cutting into the hide.

I can send you a pic if needed.
    No pic needed, I'm definatly gonna try it when August gets here. I have a ample supply of PVC pipe. :) Thanks.
    Something else that I have found works equally as good, if not better, is using a metal pipe and cutting it to length with a pipe cutter(not sure of the technical term). The kind that you tighten as you spin it around the pipe. this method tends to leave you with a perfect edge and no need for filing.
    Paying to have it done is the easiest way to go...but not the cheapest way.....gets expensive very fast.....my advice is if gator hunting is in your blood....build a gator box.....5 inches of foam all around....basicily a commercial fishermans multi day box...fiberglass and foam....make the box at least 8 ft long and at least 4 ft wide and 3 ft high...have a drain....make it bullet proof......make it last.....make it tough enough to put the gator on top of it so you can clean it......unless you have a cleaning table....I like the one stop shop approach....kill and wash gator....place gator in box, bend the tail if you have to get the gator to fit into box.....ice sucker down.....gator will chill out in box for at least 24 hours....get it good and cold.....when ready to clean gator pump it up....air compressor...have a commercial cuber handy....like a Hobart that you can get new or used at a restaurant supply house.....get those beautiful multi layered little knifes a working on a tenderizing. Have a food savor....once you have all the pieces in play your good to go....take your time....I'm guilty of paying a processor to do our gators the last couple of times as my time is more valuable to me than the experience any more...basically I was in a bad car accident a few years back and live with constant pain even on go go juice and happy pills.....so standing and hunched over a gator at a slow and careful speed just isn't my thing....I just can't do it right now, maybe never again...the hides still get little holes in them, the meat I'm sure gets pinched or held back and you have to pay for the service...hey everyone has got to eat....its the family experience that our little group has when we're looking for gators, the hunt, the chase, the fight, the quick kill, the reverence that we all hold for the animal that we just harvested, we give thanks to that animal, and believe it or not when we have our sit down pow wow with family and friends we once again give thanks and honor to our guest of honor who's sacrifice made the dinner possible.....