Home General Fishing

Any alligator fishing experts here?

michauxiimichauxii Posts: 54 Deckhand
Didn't know if this should be listed under fishing or hunting, but since I'll be using a hook, here we go.

It's open alligator where I live in Texas.

We have a lodge that is bordered by beautiful,scenic Lake Caddo.

A large male alligator (over 10') has taken up residence in our boat slip area. He's very territorial and pretty aggressive.

Wife wants him gone.

Plan to suspend half of a chicken from a bamboo pole about 3' over the water.

I bought some 900# test trotline string but can't make up my mind on what hook to use.
I have some 15/0 trbles and some 16/0 J hooks.

Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Don't mess around with a 10' alligator. Call Animal Control. They will shoot him and take the remains away. If you shoot him, you'll be arrested and pay a hefty fine, maybe jail.
  • michauxiimichauxii Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Geoff,
    It's open alligator season here until 30 June.
    He's already taken the neighbor's 8 month old Lab pup.He needs to be gone as the grandkids fish that area.

I'm pretty sure I can handle him. Anyways, Wife wants some boots and I want a holster for my Super Blackhawk.
    And the tail meat is pretty tasty.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I get permits here in flordia every year !
    But I dont know the laws in texas ,can you shoot them
    in open water ?
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,065 Captain
    Setting a line is the best way to catch them. Either of the hooks you have will work. Set the bait about a foot above the water instead of 3'. If you're worried about him tearing loose, gather up about 5-6' of slack in the line, and tie a bungee cord in it. Most of them don't fight on a line like you see on Swamp People. You can usually just ease them in, and then shoot them. Here we have to use 2" wooden pegs instead of hooks, and can only use a bang stick to kill them. The pegs work fine on the smaller ones, but pull out if you use much pressure on a large one.
    Post this in general hunting !
    Alot of guys are gettin psyched !!
    Today actually opened up for first phase permit
    applications here in Fl. !!
    Stomach sticks are the absolute worst method !!!! Imo ...
    I hook them on a large pole with a weighted treble hook ,
    Wear em down an get a harpoon in them wear them relly
    down and get them up to the boat an yes bangstick !!
    357 . Mag does the trick for me !!
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Interesting thread I hope you post some pictures after you Choot 'Em!
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Not an expert but have killed two of them each year for the last 4 years. If you are going to bait them, use a j-hook. Hang your bait a foot above the water not 3 feet. Hang your bait away from your dock with line that is not long enough to reach any pilings.

Dispatch with your weapon of choice. Bang stick is the safest. Long rifle being 2nd.

Also don't play tug-of-war. Just gently raise them to the surface and.... Kaboom.

It's really not hard or dangerous. Pay a game processor also. Not worth the effort to DIY. Especially if you want the hide for use.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Pilchard takes the drama out of gator hunting. :grin
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Give me about 12 or so hours to drive over and no questions asked. F the hooks and small gun, I will nail him 300 yards out with the .308 from your porch drinking a beer. Alligator meat is not the bomb anyway.....like eating chicken, fish and pork all at once. Let him sink to feed the fishes.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Don't hurt the gator.. Too many people here are killing things for no reason. Just aneanimal living in its own habitat.

Keep an eye on your kids and dogs, like you should be anyway. Problem solved.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Cmon! Don't hurt him... Kill him! There are plenty. There is a reason they have a season for harvest.

I would not let it go to waste if I killed it though.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Cmon! Don't hurt him... Kill him! There are plenty. There is a reason they have a season for harvest.

I would not let it go to waste if I killed it though.

No reason to kill...
    Texas laws are a little different.
    We cannot shoot them while in the water-if we could, I have a heavy barrel Savage LRPV in .22-250 that I could head shoot him from the back deck while he is sunning at 300 yards. Gawd that rifle topped with a 6x20 Leupold will shoot bug groups! But I can't do it. Drag them up on land,no small feat, and then pew-pew him in the head with my Win62 .22 magnum.

Your lines MUST BE tied off to private property and you must have a document from the land owner (notarized) giving you permission to hunt.
    Luckily my wife is the landowner of this piece of property. She spent 30 years as a Nurse/Embassy administrator,retired as a Captain, and came home and bought Potter's Point on Caddo.Ya'll google this!
    I'm a lucky man!

Will post a video if successful

Thanks Gentlemen..
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Alligators have tiny brains & very thick skulls, a combination that can make a clean kill head shot difficult & potentially dangerous.

Found this interesting tutorial:

http://www.mdwfp.com/media/8401/mdwfp_alligator_dispatch_techniques.pdf
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,124 Officer
    FishInFL wrote: »
    Don't hurt the gator.. Too many people here are killing things

xtothez.gif
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Rotten chicken leg quarters. Big hook, cable with the sleeves for crimping....one double wielded eye unlimited Sampo ball bearing and 100 ft of 3/8 or 1/2 inch nylon rope......buy all components.....big hook like a 16/0 mustard or owner...put cable through both sleeves and through eye of hook and attach.....crimp.....do the same to the Sampo ball bearing swivel....crimp....tie the rope to the other eye of double wielded eye ball bearing swivel......put the chicken on the hook and place it near the area to be fished.....leave it in a bucket with a little bit of water with a lid on......yes it's going to stink......tie other end of rope to a solid item like a dock pilling....after 3 days hang chicken about a foot off the water.....gator swallows bait....gator will either allow you to slowly pull him in or dig down and give you all you don't want....I have had easy ones.....I have had brutal ones.....be safe...don't wrap the rope around your hands. Don't step into a rope pile either....you gonna take a swim if you do....it's best to try and just goose the gator up with a slow deliberate pull......and remember with a hook in him and a 3/16 cable...he isn't going anywhere.........
    Just to clarify.....TEXAS, not legal in FLA....once again we are all talking about Texas, not fla gator hunting.....that is all....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • Manny G.Manny G. Posts: 32 Deckhand
    http://myfwc.com/media/1531908/alligator_rules_booklet.pdf

68A-25.042 Regulations Governing Statewide Alligator Trapping, Permitting, Taking and Sale, cont.

68A-25.002 General Provisions for Taking, Possession and Sale of Reptiles.

(5) No person shall use, be in possession of or attend any hook, peg or other such device baited in such a
    manner as to be capable of taking alligators and suspended so that the bait is above water or submerged less
    than six inches except nuisance-alligator trappers taking nuisance alligators pursuant to Rule 68A-25.003,
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 605 Officer
    Choot him elizabet
    Manny G.
    Thanks for the info.
    But Texas game laws are different than Florida.
    I go to Venice, Louisiana every fall to chase bull reds and cannot deploy my pinfish traps to catch croakers.
    I think that is dumb, but is their law and I must abide.
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 605 Officer
    After Rand gets elected, we make our own laws
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Let's see...

He killed the neighbors dog......and now might be sizing up your kid....

Hummmmmmmm...now that's a tough one.....:huh

My thought is to go straight past hooking him......right into blasting the living hell out of him.....

I hope that this clears up any confusion that might have been floating around.

......and as a side note.....

What's up with this post?

"Don't hurt the gator.. Too many people here are killing things for no reason. Just aneanimal living in its own habitat.

Keep an eye on your kids and dogs, like you should be anyway. Problem solved."

Wow......"Watch your kids and dogs, like you should be..."?

That's a joke...right?

So if your kid is in walking along the water on his property at the beach and a alligator hits him......that was never seen before....does that mean that their parent "wasn't watching him".....or if the kid get bit by a snake......or get's hit by lightening.....or falls off his bike.....or gets a hook in his finger....or trips and falls on a perfectly level sidewalk and skins his knee?
  • Manny G.Manny G. Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Michauxii that's cool...good luck on your hunt..Post some pictures when you get that bad boy.
    Look ... im no expert !! (Even though I did stay at a holday express inn last nite ):grin

Anyway ....I suggest that anyway you kill the alligator
    I would be sure you do it acording to Texas law !!!
    Especialy now that you have posted this on a open
    fourm on the internet !!!! Just sayin .............
    btw .... good luck hope ya get him !!! Post a pic I would
    like to see this dog eatin , child stalkin , maneater !!!!!!!!!:rotflmao
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    You're right "a little knots"....

I got all excited and loaded my pen knife into my elephant gun again....... :willynilly
    Stomach sticks are the absolute worst method !!!! Imo ...
    I hook them on a large pole with a weighted treble hook ,
    Wear em down an get a harpoon in them wear them relly
    down and get them up to the boat an yes bangstick !!
    357 . Mag does the trick for me !!
    That's the same way we do most of them, but the bigger ones are pretty spooky a lot of the time. My bang stick is a 223, though.
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Not an expert but have killed two of them each year for the last 4 years. If you are going to bait them, use a j-hook. Hang your bait a foot above the water not 3 feet. Hang your bait away from your dock with line that is not long enough to reach any pilings.

Dispatch with your weapon of choice. Bang stick is the safest. Long rifle being 2nd.

Also don't play tug-of-war. Just gently raise them to the surface and.... Kaboom.

It's really not hard or dangerous. Pay a game processor also. Not worth the effort to DIY. Especially if you want the hide for use.
    If you're gator hunting in Florida I'd delete the part about using hooks. Unless you want a visit from FWC.
    O
    Rotten chicken leg quarters. Big hook, cable with the sleeves for crimping....one double wielded eye unlimited Sampo ball bearing and 100 ft of 3/8 or 1/2 inch nylon rope......buy all components.....big hook like a 16/0 mustard or owner...put cable through both sleeves and through eye of hook and attach.....crimp.....do the same to the Sampo ball bearing swivel....crimp....tie the rope to the other eye of double wielded eye ball bearing swivel......put the chicken on the hook and place it near the area to be fished.....leave it in a bucket with a little bit of water with a lid on......yes it's going to stink......tie other end of rope to a solid item like a dock pilling....after 3 days hang chicken about a foot off the water.....gator swallows bait....gator will either allow you to slowly pull him in or dig down and give you all you don't want....I have had easy ones.....I have had brutal ones.....be safe...don't wrap the rope around your hands. Don't step into a rope pile either....you gonna take a swim if you do....it's best to try and just goose the gator up with a slow deliberate pull......and remember with a hook in him and a 3/16 cable...he isn't going anywhere.........
    Just to clarify.....TEXAS, not legal in FLA....once again we are all talking about Texas, not fla gator hunting.....that is all....
    100' of 3/8 or 1/2" rope' a 3/16" cable, and a welded ball bearing swivel? He's trying to catch a gator not a shark.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    michauxii wrote: »
    Texas laws are a little different.
    We cannot shoot them while in the water-if we could, I have a heavy barrel Savage LRPV in .22-250 that I could head shoot him from the back deck while he is sunning at 300 yards. Gawd that rifle topped with a 6x20 Leupold will shoot bug groups! But I can't do it. Drag them up on land,no small feat, and then pew-pew him in the head with my Win62 .22 magnum.

Your lines MUST BE tied off to private property and you must have a document from the land owner (notarized) giving you permission to hunt.
    Luckily my wife is the landowner of this piece of property. She spent 30 years as a Nurse/Embassy administrator,retired as a Captain, and came home and bought Potter's Point on Caddo.Ya'll google this!
    I'm a lucky man!

Will post a video if successful

Thanks Gentlemen..

Ya'll bought Potters Point ? You have some of the best bass fishing in the world in your back yard ! I couldn't tell you how many bass over 7lbs that I have caught within 100 feet of that point. I'm freakin' Jealous . I miss Caddo Lake .

FYI a 10 foot gator on that lake is a baby
    Schmidty ... dont beat yourself up !!!
    Common mistake happens all the time
    around these parts !!!:grin

BD27 .... man you get around brother !!!!!
    Your definitely a fishin son of gun !!!!!:Rockon