Home Egret Boats

Coming together - New 21' Egret w/ Seadek and Rolls Trailer

silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 235 Deckhand
My new boat is finally starting to come together and thought I'd share some pics. I really enjoy chasing tarpon on the beach and set this boat up for that, although I'm looking forward to doing more stuff offshore as well.

Trailers have been discussed a bunch and I went with Rolls for my 21'......I had a Rolls for my 18' and liked it a lot and have been very pleased this time around. In the picture loading the boat on the trailer, the boat is still mostly floating and is just starting to contact the bunks.....it loads very easy. I still like the looks of the Sport Trail the best, but my platform had to clear my garage door and with Rolls in Florida closer to me, I felt better using them.....plus they just make a really good trailer. Rolls is great to work with and can pretty much customize anything you want.

I also want to recommend Open Water Concepts in Stuart to anyone looking to add Seadek. I was working with another well known vendor for about three weeks but gave up after about three weeks of leaving messages, no calls back, etc.. I called Danny at OWC on a Monday, dropped the boat off on a Tuesday and picked it up on Wednesday. Their service was great and they recently added a CNC machine and can do basically anything you want with Seadek as far as logo's, etc. If you're do anything with Seadek, I'd highly recommend giving Danny a call at 321-615-0296. They are located in the same plaza as Master Repair in Stuart and Mike highly recommended them.

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Very, very nice.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Great work Joe, you never do anything half way! Your old Egret still haunts me. :) It was the best looking old school Egret I ever saw.

Can't wait to see more pictures of this boat.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Thanks Michael, I think I saw your old boat for sale on boattrader.com
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I Like! :thumbsup
  • EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Gorgeous Joe. I can't wait to see it in person one of these days.
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    looks great:thumbsup
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 441 Deckhand
    I like the old egret logo better.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 565 Officer
    Very, very nice.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Thanks Michael, I think I saw your old boat for sale on boattrader.com

Yup Joe that is my old boat.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I wonder if he does mail order, customer install? I'm a long ways away! Sweet looking custom rigging!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    Yes, he has all the measurements from when he scanned the boat and can do anything you want mail order. To install, it's just peel and stick.....very easy to install.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Regarding the trailer....
    I thought the 2011 required 2 axles (tandom).
    I like the removable tongue.

Great looking rig.
    Not required.....the EZ Loader has a single axle that works and others have used. I discussed the weight of the boat thoroughly with the owner of Rolls and he assured me it was good. Rolls can also make a higher capacity single axle trailer with bigger wheels and a bigger beam, but it increases the height of the poling platform and I had to fit the platform under my garage door opening (didn't want removeable poling platform).
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    It depends on the weight of the rig. Single axle can go to 5000lb without much trouble. FL requires brakes on trailer rigs over 3000lbs and even on lighter rigs if your tow vehicle does not have a GVWR of 7500lbs. My 2 year old C/K 189 on trailer with fuel weighed in at 3600lbs without gear but that's the only posted boat weight that I'm aware of. Maybe Renagade69 posted his? I learned a very wise tip from Renagade69 to weigh your new rig when you get it and then track its weight. If the weight goes up for no reason you've probably got water retention somewhere and you can also know when you've solved the problem because you got the weight back to where it should be. Hint, hint for new owners :)
    Interesting on your weight.....I weighed my 21' with full fuel and all my gear EXCEPT for rods and a cooler and it all weighed 3680 at Flying J in Ft. Pierce.
    My 2011 weighed at the Flying J in Ft pierce with full of fuel was 3896 lbs. weighed with no fuel right at 3500 lbs.
    I also weighed my trailer when I went up to pick up my boat which is the dual axle Ameratrail and it weighed 1000 lbs. even. So the boat weighs 2500 lbs with no fuel which is the same as the factory calculation.
    When I weighed my boat I unhitched from my truck and just had the boat and trailer on it's own center part of the scale since it divided up so the numbers would be accurate.
    That's funny, I think I used the Flying J too! They must get used to Egret owners weighing boats all the time. :) I unhooked the trailer and just weighed it with the boat. I have a 13 ga freshwater wash, 4 group 29 batteries and a saltwater wash plus the 66ga fuel tank in my 189 but approx 3000lbs without the approx 600lb trailer still seems very high. It would be interesting to get more boat weights.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 230 Deckhand
    nice finish with the seadek
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    Not required.....the EZ Loader has a single axle that works and others have used. I discussed the weight of the boat thoroughly with the owner of Rolls and he assured me it was good.

I assume everyone is running 15" wheels w/ "D" rated trailer tires.

The "C" rated cannot handle the weights posted above.
    My Ameratrail dual axle has 205/75/14 GY Marathons
    I'm not an expert, but I was told with trailer load capacities that you back out the tongue weight when considering load capacities for trailer/tires (i.e. the tongue weight is bearing on the truck, not the trailer/tires).
    My Moccasin 210 weighed 3690 on the trailer. This was with 45 gallons of fuel, anchor, trolling motor, 3 batteries, Suzuki 200 (500lbs) and safety equipment. I weighed it twice and got the same number with the truck and then weighed the truck alone and subtracted the difference.

Interesting that it sounds like the Moccaisn 210 and 2011 are about the same weight.

The EZ Loader single axle is supposed to only weigh about 700lbs but I don't know how accurate that is. It does have 215/75/14C tires rated at 1870lbs load bearing each which doesn't leave a lot of room for additional weight.

I used to have a Road Runner single axle for another boat once that was definitely heavier. That trailer had a 5,000lb axle and tires to match. Nice trailer.
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    very sweet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    it does have 215/75/14C tires rated at 1870lbs load bearing each which doesn't leave a lot of room for additional weight.

That is why I'm asking the question.

Appears that a single axle is at the upper limit for tires.
    15" tires would get you over 2,150 per tire.

If no one is having problems/blow outs/ than it's a non issue.

Tandoms should never have an issue.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I had a custom single axle built for my Moccasin 210 by B&S Trailer. I specifically built a single axle set up with torsion bars and 15 inch tires. If you service a single axle once a year and keep good tires under it the results are less cost, hassle etc and I can move it around my driveway by myself. I have not put it on the scale so the weight is not known (yet). The 3,690 TXWhoo reported surprises me though.
    On my single axle I have D rated 205/75 R15 tires and 6 lug wheels good to 2150 lbs per tire or 4300 lbs total. Trailer came with 225/75 but I needed to drop some height to get the boat into garage. It was easy to swap tires for height but lost load capacity too.

Yes you subtract tongue weight from total weight to get the load on the tires. When traveling at high speeds my engineering analysis shows the tongue weight goes down while wheel weight goes up as the air drag on the boat goes up. That's probably a separate engineering topic though. It does explain why a rig with low tongue weight can get squirrely at high speed but behaves ok when you slow down. For a 3600lb rig you want around 250 lbs tongue weight but I had over 600lb tongue weight on the Ameratrail. The coupler and swing tongue are only rated to 300lbs. I think to get the tongue weight right, the axle of the Ameratrail should be moved forward about 12". Looking at the Rolls trailer for silverdreams it's in about the right place (lined up with cockpit scupper).

My neighbor has a 20 ft Shearwater with a 150HP (probably not far off a 2011 in weight) on a single axle Ameratrail with C rated tires and he blows a tire every year or so. I think I've talked him into getting higher rated tires next time. :)

If you run tires that are at or over capacity you should probably proactively replace them every two years if you're travelling at highway speeds IMHO. They are only rated to that capacity when new I expect.

There's still the FL requirement for brakes on all axles of any rig over 3000lbs which is why I went for a single axle with brakes when I realized I was way over that limit.
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    I had a custom single axle built for my Moccasin 210 by B&S Trailer. I specifically built a single axle set up with torsion bars and 15 inch tires. If you service a single axle once a year and keep good tires under it the results are less cost, hassle etc and I can move it around my driveway by myself. I have not put it on the scale so the weight is not known (yet). The 3,690 TXWhoo reported surprises me though.

It surprised me too which is why I measured it again to make sure it wasn't a positioning error on the scale. The scale could be off but I doubt it. I guess when you think about it, those fiberglass hatch buckets and rod lockers in the 2011 don't weight much. I believe Joe's Yamaha 175 Vmax weighs about 30lbs less than my Suzuki DF200A... probably close to canceling each other out. Plus with the Moccasin you have the leaning post and larger console, but less deck. I guess only Frank could provide those comparisons.

When it comes time to replaces these tires, I will be replacing them with D-rated tires. Kumho used to make a 14" D-rated tire, hopefully still does.
    mbowers wrote: »
    My 2 year old C/K 189 on trailer with fuel weighed in at 3600lbs without gear but that's the only posted boat weight that I'm aware of.

This topic got my attention. I've had 3 blow outs in 2 years w/ Freestar radials that Ameratrail puts on their trailers.Always at max inflation.
    Weighed today, fiberglass 18'9" full fuel, no cooler or fishing gear, 3440lbs.
    Makes plenty of sense now.
    Regret not having the 15" wheels class"D"
    I believe only options for the 14" class D 8 ply are Load Star and Kumho.
    Check your fender spacing too. My neighbor with the Shearwater has very little gap between tire and fender which we think causes rubs on every bump. The rubs both wear and over heat the poor overloaded tire.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    This topic got my attention. I've had 3 blow outs in 2 years w/ Freestar radials that Ameratrail puts on their trailers.Always at max inflation.
    Weighed today, fiberglass 18'9" full fuel, no cooler or fishing gear, 3440lbs.
    Makes plenty of sense now.
    Regret not having the 15" wheels class"D"
    I believe only options for the 14" class D 8 ply are Load Star and Kumho.

My last Ameratrail bought through Egret was overweight on my 2011 by a longshot. There is suppose to be a safety margin. You should not have a trailer maxed out on the weight capacity. I paid to have it rebuilt after owning it 4 months.They added a second axle and bigger beams.It cost me allot of money to fix and the thing still scratched my boat. Big disappointment with the trailer .
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas