Chub 2015 Round Two

Cleared n West End... Came out of the gate with a couple cudas. Slid deeper. Missed a small hoo then got our clock cleaned by a slob one that got near a half a spool off our 80 before coming un glued... Grr... Couple tuna knock downs and light misty rain before getting to Lucaya...

Replies

• ScottRScottR Posts: 976 Officer
    Nice, have a great trip and catch 'em up
    USCG Licensed Captain, 100T Masters, STCW/BST, PADI Rescue Diver
    Offshore Fishing/Diving & Charter Services, Bahamas/Caribbean Travel, Deliveries, Maintenance/Refits
    [email protected]
    www.runyourboat.com
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Day 2 was accursed NW wind . Crossed the whole channel without seeing so much as a weed or bird. Flat water was green and horrid. Pocket was about as bad... Went up Joulters side where we found a sail. Grabbed bucket of bottom goodies. Got destroyed by cuda. Had a rat blue swat our biggest lure and that was it.

Day 3
    Today was trickle out of SE. Morning was dead except cudas. Gathered more bottom fish. Then it turned on.
    See a grand slam today. Blue smashed big lure then pounded tld 25 but pulled off. Sail #1 on the flat. White got us for four baits, crushed the clown. Sail 2 ate the rigger bait... Add a bucket of bottom fish and a couple dolphin and all was good...
    Day 4
    West nasty wind continued. Pocket green and full of eel grass. We managed a blind billfish bite (didn't see it) that we could tell by the leader all scuffed up. Of course the cudas didn't mind wrecking us. Blasted over to Cat Cay. Water this side is gorgeous but saw no life at alll going to Bimini. One boat here with fair catch of dolphin they got 12 miles out
    Day 5
    Hmmmm... Interesting end to our trip. Crushed a box full of slammer dolphin. Not write home about size or slob monsters but good 20- 25lb class ones... Best fishing of the whole trip while crossing the gulf stream.
    Now we were diligent in monitoring the weather after seeing some rough stuff on the radar and in Bimini last night. Every forecast was the same basically. South wind and numerous storms.... About mid day the alarms on the weather radio started going off. Warnings for thus storm or that or tornadoes. We marked where they were and where they were going. We slipped around one, then another and as I got around the third a big one just formed out of thin air about six miles from us. The others had all been sliding north east. We expected this one to also. Nope!
    It rapidly became a beast!!!
    I skirted down its edge getting away from severe lightning it was throwing but it was closing fast. I made the lines out call and hit the throttles when the water started to "dance" which it dose just before a waterspout forms. I glanced at the radar and my blood ran cold. Classic "Hook echo" wrapping around us and another in front! :O We got into the bowels of Hell with intense wind. I looked at the radar and dodged harder targets. I could hear the distinct sound of embedded waterspouts in the driving rain and spray. One was churning where I could see it fifty yards port. I jacked the wheel and there was another fifty yards starboard. I split the uprights.
    Ok time to plow through to the "other side". As I did new storms popped up on our course line for several miles. The wind roared from the north and seas built quick to 6-8foot with stray 10 and hyper tight. That stayed with us all the way into the inlet!
  • GSSGSS Posts: 119 Officer
    Dang, glad you got in safe!
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,486 Captain
    Reads like a good novel! Glad you clawed your way through it and made way to safe harbor. :Sinking Sounds harrowing...

Pura Vida!
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Compleat wrote: »

It rapidly became a beast!!!
    I skirted down its edge getting away from severe lightning it was throwing but it was closing fast. I made the lines out call and hit the throttles when the water started to "dance" which it dose just before a waterspout forms. I glanced at the radar and my blood ran cold. Classic "Hook echo" wrapping around us and another in front! :O We got into the bowels of Hell with intense wind. I looked at the radar and dodged harder targets. I could hear the distinct sound of embedded waterspouts in the driving rain and spray. One was churning where I could see it fifty yards port. I jacked the wheel and there was another fifty yards starboard. I split the uprights.
    Ok time to plow through to the "other side". As I did new storms popped up on our course line for several miles. The wind roared from the north and seas built quick to 6-8foot with stray 10 and hyper tight. That stayed with us all the way into the inlet!

:rotflmao Deepy, I know you've often said you "write in color", but I'd say you're sliding into full rainbow territory here.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    One of the more memorable storms I have hit in my career...
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 920 Officer
    Intense. I almost started to sweat!
  • talltailstalltails Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Reminds me of the writings of Papa:
    "Fish... I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends."