Home Tropics

Chub 2015 Round Two

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
Cleared n West End... Came out of the gate with a couple cudas. Slid deeper. Missed a small hoo then got our clock cleaned by a slob one that got near a half a spool off our 80 before coming un glued... Grr... Couple tuna knock downs and light misty rain before getting to Lucaya...
Plan is to tuna hunt to the other edge then fish pocket in afternoon...

Replies

• lt20lt20 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Good luck Keep us posted
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Yesterday was accursed NW wind . Crossed the whole channel without seeing so much as a weed or bird. Flat water was green and horrid. Pocket was about as bad... Went up Joulters side where we found a sail. Grabbed bucket of bottom goodies. Got destroyed by cuda. Had a rat blue swat our biggest lure and that was it.
    Today was trickle out of SE. Morning was dead except cudas. Gathered more bottom fish. Then it turned on.
    See a grand slam today. Blue smashed big lure then pounded tld 25 but pulled off. Sail #1 on the flat. White got us for four baits, crushed the clown. Sail 2 ate the rigger bait... Add a bucket of bottom fish and a couple dolphin and all was good...
    Today sucked... Hard south west wind set up a miserable tight chop and dirtied the pocket up. Weed made it worse. Got back nearer chub and found good water. Got wrecked by wahoo packs twice clipping every rig we had out. Added wire but they only wanted the mono baits. Cuda and dolphin filled the gaps...
    West nasty wind continued. Pocket green and full of eel grass. We managed a blind billfish bite (didn't see it) that we could tell by the leader all scuffed up. Of course the cudas didn't mind wrecking us. Blasted over to Cat Cay. Water this side is gorgeous but saw no life at alll going to Bimini. One boat here with fair catch of dolphin they got 12 miles out...
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,736 Captain
    Love reading your reports. Keep 'em coming.
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Great info Compleat. Taking notes on wind conditions.We will be over in less than a week,thanks for posting. Lu
    Hmmmm... Interesting end to our trip. Crushed a box full of slammer dolphin. Not write home about size or slob monsters but good 20- 25lb class ones... Best fishing of the whole trip while crossing the gulf stream.
    Now we were diligent in monitoring the weather after seeing some rough stuff on the radar and in Bimini last night. Every forecast was the same basically. South wind and numerous storms.... About mid day the alarms on the weather radio started going off. Warnings for thus storm or that or tornadoes. We marked where they were and where they were going. We slipped around one, then another and as I got around the third a big one just formed out of thin air about six miles from us. The others had all been sliding north east. We expected this one to also. Nope!
    It rapidly became a beast!!!
    I skirted down its edge getting away from severe lightning it was throwing but it was closing fast. I made the lines out call and hit the throttles when the water started to "dance" which it dose just before a waterspout forms. I glanced at the radar and my blood ran cold. Classic "Hook echo" wrapping around us and another in front! :O We got into the bowels of Hell with intense wind. I looked at the radar and dodged harder targets. I could hear the distinct sound of embedded waterspouts in the driving rain and spray. One was churning where I could see it fifty yards port. I jacked the wheel and there was another fifty yards starboard. I split the uprights.
    Ok time to plow through to the "other side". As I did new storms popped up on our course line for several miles. The wind roared from the north and seas built quick to 6-8foot with stray 10 and hyper tight. That stayed with us all the way into the inlet!
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Thanks for the reports. As much as I hate to admit it, I kind of like crossings like that. And at the same time I don't. I am sure you know what I mean...

I'll be looking at the boards pretty close the next week or so to try to decide where to go the week of the 9th. Looks like we will be on the wrong side of the moon but it is what it is.
    2003 Viking 45C
    Well I can't seem to find a pulse for a hot spot that side. Channel was cooking the day we got there then north west shut it down... I have some exact locations where it was good. Corner has been one day good then next day zilch. Without southeast or east to clean the pocket up you can write that off. It was good from 12 miles off Bimini to about half way to this side... We did have two wahoo bites at West end but it so late in the season it would be hard to count on that...
    At one point I had been planning to do a couple legs of the BBC on a 63 Bertram but he doesn't need a "captain" and hired a full time mate so thats no longer on the table... Daughter graduates college this weekend and I have nothing booked past that so I'll be scratching around looking for work myself...
  • crasm1crasm1 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Are you possibly the Paul I met in chub about 10 years ago that was friends with Buddy Carter From Felda Florida.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Paul should chime in pretty quick but I bet $100 that was probably him!
    2003 Viking 45C
  • liquiddiet27liquiddiet27 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Compleat wrote: »
    Well I can't seem to find a pulse for a hot spot that side. Channel was cooking the day we got there then north west shut it down... I have some exact locations where it was good. Corner has been one day good then next day zilch. Without southeast or east to clean the pocket up you can write that off. It was good from 12 miles off Bimini to about half way to this side... We did have two wahoo bites at West end but it so late in the season it would be hard to count on that...
    At one point I had been planning to do a couple legs of the BBC on a 63 Bertram but he doesn't need a "captain" and hired a full time mate so thats no longer on the table... Daughter graduates college this weekend and I have nothing booked past that so I'll be scratching around looking for work myself...

Compleat, I am going to chub the last week of may never fished there I was hoping to get some info on where to fish there and what was biting any info would be greatly appreciated... thanks Art
  • liquiddiet27liquiddiet27 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the update... weve never fished chub the owner and guests are chomping at the bit for tuna eahoo and hopefully a marlin i really gonna try and maje it happen for them i know it would make for a great snd memorable trip
  • MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Chub was dead on friday when I went through. best tuna action I saw was 7nm north off Goulding Cay in Nassau. Proper sized tuna!
    Crasm, I can't be sure... I have spent so much time over there over the years it becomes a blur and I suck with names...

Liquid... If the wind goes southeast for a few days the pocket should hold dolphin and a few stray remaining billfish. Possible you could find a wahoo in the area of the sunken barge that sticks out of the water on the north wall. Tuna? I suggest going east maybe around whale cay. Over at Morgans bluff which is to the south I have done well on occasion that area but the east this time of year seems to hold better...
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Well caught my first marlin east side of GHC in 1100 hundred feet on a rigged ballyhoo skipping at 7 knots. Didn't do well at Chub. Our trip got cut way short due to weather.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Lu 1967 wrote: »
    Well caught my first marlin east side of GHC in 1100 hundred feet on a rigged ballyhoo skipping at 7 knots. Didn't do well at Chub. Our trip got cut way short due to weather.

congrats. please provide details and more pics por favor.