Loxahatchee River snook

dogman58dogman58 Posts: 29 Greenhorn
I have been fishing the Lox since December with very good success on the smaller snook and juvie tarpon - Bass .
All of my efforts are with the fly rod and (NLFFB) no live fish for bait - chumming or baiting . Fishing with 6-7 weight rods and only running into an occasional guide (mostly fishing jacks) up in the brackish water - but plenty of paddlers
on or in kayaks / paddleboards . I have been using small baitfish patterns and topwater foam flies . On the light fly rods this is a great fishery - catching swordspine / tarpon/ and fat and common snook . I have been looking for a source for id'ing these smaller snook and up to now going by the spines in the anal fin - are there any guides available
that cover all the information .

Replies

• dogman58dogman58 Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    dogman58 wrote: »
    I have been fishing the Lox since December with very good success on the smaller snook and juvie tarpon - Bass .
    All of my efforts are with the fly rod and (NLFFB) no live fish for bait - chumming or baiting . Fishing with 6-7 weight rods and only running into an occasional guide (mostly fishing jacks) up in the brackish water - but plenty of paddlers
    on or in kayaks / paddleboards . I have been using small baitfish patterns and topwater foam flies . On the light fly rods this is a great fishery - catching swordspine / tarpon/ and fat and common snook . I have been looking for a source for id'ing these smaller snook and up to now going by the spines in the anal fin - are there any guides available
    that cover all the information .

yes thank you seen this info - dk
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,289 Captain
    Dogman, thanks for your post. A good friend of mine was doing a study on the Lox that required sonic tagging of a good number of snook and watching their movements with a transponder, after the freeze he lost the majority of those tagged fish, good to see they're making a comeback.
  • dogman58dogman58 Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I originally was taking the kids (my girls) up in the Loxahatchee River to fly cast for the smaller snook and bass - easy to get to from the farms and a easy boat ride from Burt Reynolds . I guided in the Keys or over 15 years and catching trophy bonefish (80's/90/s) and tarpon and permit was no real big deal - the fishery up in the river is very interesting and challenging but finding all these fish over the last 6 months has been awesome . All 3 species of snook - small tarpon - and the largemouths all on the fly rods and action throughout the river .
    mostly blind casting at structure and ambush points - and always in moving water . Low light topwater with foam gurglers and sinking lines and small spoon flies / snapper imitations . That's right tiny flies by anyones standards ...but anyways when you can consistently catch smaller fish where larger versions of the species exist - you have health in the system .