Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Repower Opinion

Wanted to get some opinions about repowering my 26 ft twin vee. I currently have it powered by twin 150 Yamaha four strokes. I am looking to repower with either Suzuki DF 175 or the DF 140. The DF 140 is about 80 pounds lighter than the DF 175 and about 70 pounds lighter than my Yamahas. I have no idea why this is. The boat rides great with my Yamahas and I am happy with the performance. I am thinking that I will not gain much with the heavier 175 hp Suzuki. The heavier engine weight may eat up the performance. Anyone have any experience with these engines? Will they run ok with ethanol fuel? How about fuel economy?
By the way my Yamahas are for sale at $6500 each. They are 2005 and have about 1700 hours on them. They run and look great. I just want something under warranty now.
Thanks for your input.

Replies

• GSSGSS Posts: 119 Officer
    I would check the Suzuki website for performance bulletins and call Twin Vee to ask them. They should know what works best on their boats.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Both are good motors, I would talk with twin vee, I'm sure they have history and performance with all power
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    if you have 1700 hours out of yamaha with no issues to me don't change it. But i agree with others call twin vee
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    I put Johnson 115's on my 2001 Twin Vee's when I bought it new. After 3 trouble filled years with those motors I put a pair of Suzuki 140s on the boat in 2004. i got 10 trouble free years out of those motors. It was never a speed demon but the fuel economy was good (sorry no exact numbers). I sold the boat to the Coast Guard Aux. last summer when I bought a new 26 ft. Twin Vee. The last I heard the old boat was still running strong. I bought a new 26 ft. Twin Vee last September. I put 140's on it again. This time I put a hardtop and a radar on the boat. The old boat had a big bimini top which we would put down to run distances. I wish I had put 150s on the new boat but I did not want to spend the extra money and I did not want the extra weight at the back end for towing out of ramps. Even though I bought the EXPENSIVE digital gauges I cannot give you solid fuel numbers because the gauges have been an on going problem( incompatible software, rigging mistakes, operator stupidity, etc). If the budget can do it I would put the Suzuki 150s on the boat. Twin Vee does a lot of repowering of boats especially their own and their price is good. My new boat will top out at 40 MPH as did the old one. I have always found the sweet spot for comfort and fuel economy in the Twin Vee is in the 25 to 30 MPH range depending on the conditions so top end is not overly important but I am running at a higher RPM to find my sweet spot on the new boat. According to Twin Vee I should be in the mid 40s but I have not had the time or inclination to play with different props. The fuel economy is very good. Would it be better with the 150's? I think 175s would be a waste of money.

Fireman Bill