Scallop prediction

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,888 Moderator
Saying it may be off a bit this year in the South region . Vulnerable ..?

Maybe increased pressure due to Steinhatchee having water clarity issues last year.. IDK

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/04/21/report-finds-scallop-population-vulnerable/26139537/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wtsp%2Ftopstories+%28WTSP.com+10+News+Top+Stories%29
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,370 Admiral
    Steinhatchee has been having water clarity issues for the last 3 years at least, last year was the best year in a long time, and it was so so.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Every grass flat from Crystal River to Bayport was mobbed with people just about every weekend. From a fishing standpoint it was actually pretty annoying.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    surfman wrote: »
    Steinhatchee has been having water clarity issues for the last 3 years at least, last year was the best year in a long time, and it was so so.

I would suppose this year too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,888 Moderator
    If Steinhatchee doesn't flood it may be pretty good up there. Could take some of the pressure off of CR & Homosassa.
    No no, it is always beter in CR.... :)

As far as fishing goes, I don't even try during scallop season, but I do like to scallop. Well, I might fish a little though.
    Tight Lines, Steve
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,820 Captain
    Read the article. The Biologist stated it may be the quality of the water, the quality of the grassbeds or EVEN human consumption> REALLY, Ya think so? Even weekdays last Summer the flats were jammed w/ boats every time I went out and by the end of the season only guides and locals were finding much more than a few straggerlers that managed to be missed by the fleet!!!
    I'm sorry to say but in my opinion they are surely gonna have to make stricter limits or a shorter season! I just don't think something as fragile as the scallop population can be pounded year after year w/o some consequences!!! Just sayin!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 586 Officer
    Three years ago in Steinhatchee almost every single scallop had a big orange egg sack in it. Never had I seen so many in that stage. If they didn't have a chance to breed there aren't going to be a lot next year. Add the water quality in and the next year I had to go to some secret places and dive for hours to get a good amount.
    The season should be at least put back to what it was and stop taking them after labor day or we may see a closure.
    Tight Lines, Steve
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,888 Moderator
    surfman wrote: »
    The season should be at least put back to what it was and stop taking them after labor day or we may see a closure.

True. The have extended the season the last couple of years. I remember the first season or two we had in Crystal River. Not many to be found back in the 80's . Not sure because we didn't know where to go or what. Changed after the scallop rack was put in ?
    May just be a coincidence .
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Maybe if we wiped out the whole population people can start planting fake scallops on the bottom and we can conduct something similar to an underwater easter egg hunt instead.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,925 Admiral
    capt louie wrote: »
    True. The have extended the season the last couple of years. I remember the first season or two we had in Crystal River. Not many to be found back in the 80's . Not sure because we didn't know where to go or what. Changed after the scallop rack was put in ?
    May just be a coincidence .
    Norm Blake's scallop rack was a failure.
    Never produced a harvestable scallop in any numbers.
    The commercial guys who participated in the research weren't compensated according to their agreement with UF.(or Blake's team)

One big CF.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Time to buy a cookie cutter and start catching stingrays.

Me personally think the season needs to be shortened, lot of pressure in reality a small geographic region of our entire coastal water.

I know outside of Port St. Joe I have seen hordes of a same minority type wading the bay looking for scallops. Not talking 4-5 folks but a whole clan of 15-20 folks anywhere from toddler to grandma doing this at least 5 days a week for several weeks.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 370 Deckhand
    Makes you wonder if they're selling them, or stockpiling them.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,281 Admiral
    Thought the scallop harvest was supposed to happen after spawning. :huh The FWC website now states that Florida bay scallops spawn in the fall. They are quoting word for word a study done in 1998 - http://www.marine.usf.edu/pjocean/packets/sp98/scallop_seastats.pdf

I'm pretty sure that until a year or so ago FWC stated scallops spawned in the early summer like their northern kin. If the season allows for taking before spawning then maybe the season should be changed...maybe that's what they're gearing up to do.

Most of our scallops don't live much past a year, so the experts say, so I don't have an issue with heavy harvesting if they've already spawned.

Wonder though, even after spawning, how heavy traffic through the grass affects the viability of the larvae.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,538 Captain
    I wonder if the spawn is better because they are spawning in close proximity in the bags. We may be helping the population while we are hurting it.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,435 Captain
    The scallops in our area start to spawn in late August and continue through September and early October. The temperature drops to the low 80's by the end of August because the angle of the sun is lower and the day length shortens. You can tell when scallops have started to spawn just by looking at the condition of the guts and meat. The guts turn orange by the end of July. This due to yolk protein production in the eggs. Each scallop has both male and female parts, so they all turn orange. Around mid August, the guts get as large as they will ever become and the muscle starts to get soft. But early September, many of the scallops have started to spawn. You can tell by the decrease in the amount of gut material and a further softening of the muscle. The meat tends to fall apart as you clean the scallops and the shells even get thinner and tend to break in your hand.

The scallop rack project was to test the possibility of commercial scallop aquaculture. It was not intended to restore the wild stock and likely played no significant role in the recover. The project was terminated because of disease and poor growth of the caged scallops.

There is no real science involved in managing the current scallop population as far as I can tell. They have no idea of the annual harvest from year to year and only a rudimentary idea of the stock density prior to harvest each year. Common sense would call for an annual closure before spawning really gets going in September. Scallops need to aggregate at sufficient densities for successful gamete fertilization to occur in the water column. The only thing in our favor is that the area south of us is a protected zone for scallops. Although the numbers vary greatly from year to year down there, the scallops off of Hernando and Pasco counties may well be supporting the Citrus county populations.
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Doc, thank you for the great post, I learned quite a bit off that. Very informative, I enjoy reading posts like that.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,002 Officer
    ... Although the numbers vary greatly from year to year down there, the scallops off of Hernando and Pasco counties may well be supporting the Citrus county populations.
    good info!
    Hernando county seemed to experience very heavy pressure. The boat ramps were a mess, weekdays included. Hoards of boats coming down 50 from Orlando, etc...Would not even consider trying to launch this year after the past two. Of course it coincides w/ grouper season.
    Based on what little science there is available, an abbreviated fall season, perhaps beginning labor day weekend would be better. I know many folks would be upset, but the option of keeping them off limits for a year or two would help rebuild stocks.
    I wonder what impact the red tide from last year will have on this year's stock?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,925 Admiral
    permit_me wrote: »
    good info!
    Hernando county seemed to experience very heavy pressure. The boat ramps were a mess, weekdays included. Hoards of boats coming down 50 from Orlando, etc...Would not even consider trying to launch this year after the past two. Of course it coincides w/ grouper season.
    Based on what little science there is available, an abbreviated fall season, perhaps beginning labor day weekend would be better. I know many folks would be upset, but the option of keeping them off limits for a year or two would help rebuild stocks.
    I wonder what impact the red tide from last year will have on this year's stock?
    plenty of science is available.
    The first year was supposedly to help the economies of coastal communities that depended on the benefit $$ from the out of town hordes.
    The second year extended season was purely a political knee jerk reaction.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,444 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Maybe if we wiped out the whole population people can start planting fake scallops on the bottom and we can conduct something similar to an underwater easter egg hunt instead.

:rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,444 AG
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    Thought the scallop harvest was supposed to happen after spawning. :huh The FWC website now states that Florida bay scallops spawn in the fall. They are quoting word for word a study done in 1998 - http://www.marine.usf.edu/pjocean/packets/sp98/scallop_seastats.pdf

I'm pretty sure that until a year or so ago FWC stated scallops spawned in the early summer like their northern kin. If the season allows for taking before spawning then maybe the season should be changed...maybe that's what they're gearing up to do.

Most of our scallops don't live much past a year, so the experts say, so I don't have an issue with heavy harvesting if they've already spawned.

Wonder though, even after spawning, how heavy traffic through the grass affects the viability of the larvae.

Interesting. I don't scallop, I'd rather fish. However, they sound like mourning doves. Never understood why all the **** regs regarding them, short life spam. Choot em Troy! Choot em!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 586 Officer
    And to top off the low population predictions we are opening it up in June this year, just so these pesky scallops can't get a chance to breed! That will help right?