Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

"More Python!" Florida python hunt didn't fix Everglades invasion, scientist says

BuckDaddyBuckDaddy Posts: 644 Officer
Wondering if the anti's complaining to the FL legislature have any problem with this hunt?... Time to expand this opportunity...

Florida python hunt didn't fix Everglades invasion, scientist says

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ap-python-hunt-no-help-20150421-story.html

April 21, 2005 By Jennifer Kay Associated Press

CORAL SPRINGS — As Florida prepares to unleash the public in another hunt for Burmese pythons in the Everglades, an analysis from the first Python Challenge shows the 2013 spectacle didn't do anything to curb the invasive snake's population in the wetlands, a scientist says..

Most of those snakes were caught by experienced hunters with permits to hunt pythons regularly on state lands. But the did nothing to control Florida's python population, said Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida scientist who studied the 68 snakes captured.

Mazzotti presented his findings at an invasive species workshop Monday in Coral Springs.

It's unknown exactly how many pythons live in the wild in Florida. Most of the captured pythons were adult males, which may have inadvertently reduced competition for the adult breeding females remaining in the wild, and most were found along roads and levees where pythons previously were captured, Mazzotti said.

Their stomach contents raise new questions about what pythons are eating. Scientists have blamed pythons for alarming drop-offs in native mammal populations in the Everglades, but the prey consumed by the 68 snakes caught in the 2013 hunt was almost evenly split between small mammals, such as rats and rabbits, and wading birds. A few also made room for alligators.

The python's diet may be shifting to birds as mammals decline, or pythons may just eat more birds during the winter nesting season, Mazzotti said.

Florida is planning another Python Challenge in early 2016. About 1,600 people signed up for the first hunt, but it's not clear that so many will return.

Replies

• huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    If they let us hunt the ENP (where most of the snakes are living) I bet we could put a hurting on them good.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    and, give us the keys to the gates so you can access the places properly,or leave them open like they should be
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,492 Captain
    huntmstr wrote: »
    If they let us hunt the ENP (where most of the snakes are living) I bet we could put a hurting on them good.

Most people still would not find any .
    living life as i like
    Most people couldn't find their **** with a funnel and their hands tied behind their backs.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I "found" (stepped on) a 30" Red Rat snake crawling across my kitchen floor in the dark last week, so do I qualify??
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,241 Captain
    No one has ever said the hunt had much effect on the population....nor is anyone saying there is anyway to even control the population at this time. The Challenge did get a lot of publicity...even international....and UW-F was glad to be a part of the effort (snakes do eat ducks!) with booths at each of the events...What did happen is the attention helped get the ban on sales of most python species which the USFWS announced recently....The snakes simply live in terrain that is not going to allow much impact by "hunting"....and the Park is simply tepid in any program as long as they do not allow hunting and killing of the snakes 24/7/365. Unfortunately we have a new apex predator in South Florida and it is having a bad effect on all other wildlife...We can only hope some practical way can be found to kill these snakes....biololgical warfare???.....otherwise they are here forever.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,860 Captain
    I heard a lot of native snakes were killed and checked in last time.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Skunk Ape wrote: »
    I heard a lot of native snakes were killed and checked in last time.

that aint too cool! :banghead
    biggest publicity stunt I've seen in a while,and its happening again.. takes some pressure off the real problem the Cougar
  • BuckDaddyBuckDaddy Posts: 644 Officer
    biggest publicity stunt I've seen in a while,and its happening again.. takes some pressure off the real problem the Cougar

That will all change when they find a cougar cub inside the stomach of one of the pythons during the autopsies... :grin
  • Them snakes are running the Salt Line for the most part.
    That ain't Country for a Day stroll. Air Boats and Full Tracks will clear them lower South Heads in a couple months.
    The Kayak guys can kill the rest.....

Just think , A Blow Boat guy saved the last pair of nesting Seaside Sparrows from the Invasive Killer Snakes.
    We might get Special Rudder stickers from the NPS...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    I had a few problems with it last time. One is that the people who were permitted to hunt snakes were restricted to WMA's during times in which there were current seasons and did not have to purchase a WMA stamp. Youth under 16 could participate due to WMA's were exempt from needing permit but 16 and 17 year olds could not participate.

They tell you to go look on road side and levees but did not include in their training that it was illegal to discharge a firearm from such locations. One of the success stories that got posted the the FWC facebook page was that of a man that stated that he pull the snake up on the levee and shot it.

All you heard on the news was that the snakes have devastated all small animals populations. Well in the WMA's that the public can hunt you can still harvest unlimited numbers of some small game. If FWC believes that the snakes have eaten all of them then they would not allow such a liberal harvest. At not point do I remember there being a news release other than the data provided by NPS on the real impact on South Florida. It is also noted that another major contributor to the large reduction of small animals in the park is due to coyotes.

I have no problem with seeking major media attention to South Florida but lets fully educate the public in the process. If we do not want the newcomers then take off the gloves on their removal. Lets let the public harvest the snakes year round on the WMA's if they have a WMA permit.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
    Why should you need a permit to harvest a non indigenous reptile?

Why not put a yr round bounty on them? That would do 2 things, get people to voluntarily turn in the pet snake,and also get hunters out there looking.

Let fulltracks and airboats out to the places inaccessible to the public to hunt these reptiles.

Florida should "get out of the dark ages" maybe take some notes on how NOLA does it.. http://www.nola.com/pets/index.ssf/2010/09/nutria_tail-bounty_program_see.html
    Why should you need a permit to harvest a non indigenous reptile?

Valid question
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Why should there be an imaginary boundary imposed on hunters wanting to work on the issue. Allowing a nursery area to continue and then expecting different results is plain old crazy.
    The NPS is going to have to relax their stance on this. If not, then maybe the State of Florida needs to hold them accountable and responsible going forward.
    I agree there shouldn't be a season based on WMAs, nor should one need a WMA permit to participate. Maybe a no-fee snake permit that identifies the person.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
    I've raised the same issues with staff. Most other non-native species or invasives do not require any special permits and there is no restriction on their irradication. So why these snakes?

Two reasons: 1. USFWS/NPS is involved on many of the lands containing these snakes and they require a permit to fart on their properties. 2.)SFWMD is involved and they take the same stance as USFWS/NPS.

You want to get rid of the restrictions? Get it politicized and have the legislature put pressure on these agencies.

Or, let the problem get soo out of control they are left w no choice other than to allow hunting. Maybe only 7 days,but they'll let ya hunt.

Cougars R next...
    I've raised the same issues with staff. Most other non-native species or invasives do not require any special permits and there is no restriction on their irradication. So why these snakes?

Two reasons: 1. USFWS/NPS is involved on many of the lands containing these snakes and they require a permit to fart on their properties. 2.)SFWMD is involved and they take the same stance as USFWS/NPS.

You want to get rid of the restrictions? Get it politicized and have the legislature put pressure on these agencies.

Can I hunt there if I promise not to fluctuate?
    I think you meant flatulate.

I think you meant flatulate.

That too!