Earth Day and The POTUS

The President of the United States is coming to Everglades National Park for Earth Day (April22).
His Message: "Global warming and sea level rise have caused the problems in the Everglades."
The media is printing the message handed them from the White House.
No investigative reporting; no fact checking. No history;no science regarding the Glades.

Sorry. ****.

The problem is water alright---and restoring the natural sheet flow from the Kissimmee Valley and Lake O.
This is the water shed for South Florida.The problem is not climate change but what the Government has done to
alter this natural system. And what the Government has not done to correct it.

What is the status of the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Act. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Everglades_Restoration_Plan

Total disconnect from the truth.

Rant just beginning.............
Renagade69 wrote: »
Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.

Replies

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 598 Officer
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    The irony (and there's plenty to go 'round...) comes at me in several forms. First is the very short notice message that the main Park road will be closed tomorrow afternoon and not re-opened until 5:30pm (and I'm just one of a fair number of guides that will have bookings tomorrow and be forced to shift the time so that we finish at around 5pm... and me with around 100 miles to get home, then be back down at Flamingo at 7am the next day....). Lord only knows what campers and ordinary anglers will do when they find the road blocked tomorrow afternoon since I haven't heard of any notice given ordinary folks.

Secondly we have a new Park superintendant. No one I know claims to have met him- but we've felt the bureaucratic stuff since his arrival (and as usual not even the slightest pretense at allowing any input from those that work there day after day....). No, I don't need a bit more irony at all....

Now, finding out that they've added a "climate change" message to the Park's problems -that's laughable if you're sober. Anyone wanting a pretty honest review of the various problems the Park faces should read Michael Grunwald's book, THE SWAMP... Who knows maybe someone will buy the folks in Washington a copy before they encourage others to mischief.... I suspect it will become part of the BS being spouted by the Clinton campaign next.....

Why it's enough to make you want to retreat as far back into the 'Glades as you can possibly go.... Wait a minute, I already did that.
    And of course the tarpon are biting just fine right now....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    A quick personal update... just cancelled today's trip (my anglers agreed that 100% chance of rain all day long was a bit much...) so we won't have the slightest problem with today's event in the Park. Pity the poor folks who'll be dealing with the visit (did I mention the weather?)...

Lastly if it's true and they'll be claiming that "global climate, etc" is having some effect on the Everglades... then I think they might need a new idiot to replace whoever came up with that nonsense.... I can see Harry Truman and how he'd have dealt with this sort of nonsense. Now there was a leader (and the guy that opened the Park 66 years ago).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    A quick personal update... just cancelled today's trip (my anglers agreed that 100% chance of rain all day

I welcome the rain................. Thank God it started.

Thank you for the book reference. I will read it.
    That book, the Swamp is the finest piece of history writing I've read in years... I literally couldn't put it down. It details man's dealings with the Everglades for the last 400 years (from the first Spanish explorers all the way to the present day) and does so in an entertaining fashion. It came out around ten years ago if I remember correctly. At every turn man's attempts to control the 'Glades met with either disaster or serious unintended consequences. Many probably aren't aware that the stated policy of Florida up until WW II was to drain the Everglades and turn it into "productive land". I'm not a native to Florida (I arrived in 1971, fresh out of the army), so what little I've learned about the area was from old-timers and whatever books I could find. This one could be a textbook in any college course on the subject...

By the way you'd never know it from the news coverage but the fires this time of year happen every year and are actually part of the natural environment that shaped the Everglades.... It only has two seasons, a wet and a dry... at the end of the dry season every year come the fires...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    It was insane. I'm almost certain they were polishing soft shell turtles at Royal Palm yesterday. Either way, more publicity for hopefully getting the restoration some traction is ok with me.

On the book front, check out "Stolen Water" and "The Everglades: An Environmental History"
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    That book, the Swamp is the finest piece of history writing I've read in years...

Thanks Bob. Purchased a used hardback for $7.00 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Swamp-Everglades-Florida-Politics-Paradise/dp/0743251075/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430164774&sr=1-1&keywords=the+swamp+the+everglades+florida+and+the+politics+of+paradise

Looking forward to the read.

Lead Slinger......Hopefully there is some positive effects stemming from the President's visit.

We will see.
    Positive effects.... hmmm that's a tough one. Over the years most presidents, governors, and lesser mortals have promised the earth, the sun, and the moon. Actual results? Hmmm

My favorite less than successful project in the Park are those new (almost twenty years old now) bridges at Taylor Slough about a mile or two from the front gate that were needed for all the enhanced water flow that was going to be sent from the north down into the slough and eventually down into Florida Bay between Key Largo and the Dragover..... Talk about "bridges to nowhere" we haven't seen a single drop of "more water flow" in that area since the bridges were built. Hmmm

I'll stop now before I start yelling and screaming....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Unfortunately the water that the Glades needs is being pumped east and west straight out of Lake Okeechobee. If our great Florida legislatures would get off their *** and buy the land south of the lake, turn the area into retention zones and then allow the water to flow south, the everglades would be way better off. I hate to make this a GOP vs. Democrat issue, but the GOP led Florida legislature has been a major contributor to the demise of the Everglades. How about Amendment 1, that passed with 75% of the vote. GOP legislatures don't want to use the money for what is was meant for. 4.2 million Florida voters in the eyes of the GOP are just tree hugging hippies. Big Sugar has it's nasty sticky hands all over every politician in Tallahassee, they would rather see the Everglades just die, profits mean more than an ecosystem.
    Thing is you can't have it both ways, if you are a true GOP, then you believe in the States rights. So, the State of Florida should be the one taking charge on all restoration projects. To blame the federal government for not taking charge is hypocritical.
    Personally I think Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park would be way better off being State parks. Why, because you would not have to deal with all the bureaucratic bull that comes with being a National Park. Plus, Floridians would be the ones dictating what goes on in the parks, not some jug head in Washington that has no clue of the issues facing our parks.
    Face it we must hold our Florida Legislatures responsible for all the feet dragging, GOP has been in control for 18 YEARS!!!! Maybe its time for a change, maybe time for a true revolution.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    DirtySouth wrote: »
    Unfortunately the water that the Glades needs is being pumped east and west straight out of Lake Okeechobee. If our great Florida legislatures would get off their *** and buy the land south of the lake, turn the area into retention zones and then allow the water to flow south, the everglades would be way better off. I hate to make this a GOP vs. Democrat issue, but the GOP led Florida legislature has been a major contributor to the demise of the Everglades. How about Amendment 1, that passed with 75% of the vote. GOP legislatures don't want to use the money for what is was meant for. 4.2 million Florida voters in the eyes of the GOP are just tree hugging hippies. Big Sugar has it's nasty sticky hands all over every politician in Tallahassee, they would rather see the Everglades just die, profits mean more than an ecosystem.
    Thing is you can't have it both ways, if you are a true GOP, then you believe in the States rights. So, the State of Florida should be the one taking charge on all restoration projects. To blame the federal government for not taking charge is hypocritical.
    Personally I think Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park would be way better off being State parks. Why, because you would not have to deal with all the bureaucratic bull that comes with being a National Park. Plus, Floridians would be the ones dictating what goes on in the parks, not some jug head in Washington that has no clue of the issues facing our parks.
    Face it we must hold our Florida Legislatures responsible for all the feet dragging, GOP has been in control for 18 YEARS!!!! Maybe its time for a change, maybe time for a true revolution.

I'm with you on the dragging feet, but sadly it's both sides at fault. If one is for it, the other is against. You can interchange topics and parties ad nauseum. Watched part of the state budget debate in the State house a few weeks ago and it became even more apparent how truly screwed we all are. Never in my life would I have thought I would hear and elected representative say they do not represent districts, but the whole State of Florida. Yes, this was a state house legislator!

Like lemay mentioned about the bridges, I'm willing to bet the tamiami bridges have the same result after a few years. Projects like that are "example" project that are not much more feather in a cap to point at.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Agree, sad state of affairs.
  • Big BoneBig Bone Posts: 65 Deckhand
    In relation to sending the water south comments . . . that is the generally accepted thought process because that is what is getting the attention of the media and what those that know better are saying in the blogs, news articles and general assemblies.

What they seem to knowingly leave out of the story is that the bottom end of the system, ENP, is the plug. No one wants to talk about the 10 parts per billion water quality criteria for Tamiami Trail nor are they willing to express the Single Species Ecosystem Management approach surrounding the Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow that the US Fish and Wildlife Service (federal) is implementing. Shall I continue?
    I don't see this as a political party issue.Big Sugar has given equally to both sides since they got a free pass to farm the Glades decades ago.
    Slowly but surely,however, The Glades are improving. Water delivery to S.Florida has not.
    The pumping of Lake O must be redirected south.

Big Bone wrote: »
    Shall I continue?

Please continue...Knowledge is power--but keep it concise.:)