4/17-18 Trips...Local Back Country

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,672 Captain
I had a buddy visit from "up north" and agreed to take him out Friday and Saturday in the new Gheenoe.

Had a great time both days, little windy Saturday, but managed snook, reds, and a nice trout. He put eleven reds in the boat Saturday and caught the biggest trout so he was really happy.

All fish were caught off of oyster bars using a plastic jerk baits on my modified home made jig.

A couple of pictures to prove we caught fish and wanted to show off the gator trout he caught.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Very nice...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice job putting your friend on the fish Billy, looks like the new skiff is a keeper as well. :cool:
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,882 Captain
    Looks like you're doing a good job of getting fish slime on that new boat. You did an excellent job putting your buddy on the fish!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    Well done, trout have been hard to come by.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,672 Captain
    Slacker wrote: »
    Well done, trout have been hard to come by.

I don't normally target trout but the bigger ones can occasionally be caught while fishing for reds on the oyster bars. This one was 24 inches and the biggest put in any of my boats. The new Gheenoe is earning a reputation already as a slime boat. :)

Bill
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    That's a couple good days fishing! Agree on the trout. This time of the year is the only time I catch any trout and they are usually over slot and fun. 24" is my largest also.
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 370 Deckhand
    NICE FISH!

I want to hear more about this "modified" jig man, our talk at the bash is the reason I've stuck to 99% artificial, and lately the jerk shad has been my go to for just about everything.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Billy could tell you about his secret lure, but then he'd have to filet you. :grin
    NICE FISH!

I want to hear more about this "modified" jig man, our talk at the bash is the reason I've stuck to 99% artificial, and lately the jerk shad has been my go to for just about everything.
    Billy could tell you about his secret lure, but then he'd have to filet you. :grin

:funnypost Actually it isn't a secret lure but it is an effective jig for fishing soft plastic.

It has a small amount of weight in the center with two barbs which holds the plastic in place and keeps those pesky snappers from pulling it off all the time. The lure can effectively "swim" over the oyster bars and the small amount of weight allows a little better casting ability. It has been a proven jig for my type of fishing. I make my own on a saltwater hook, it's a painful process, but I'm too cheap to have a mold made to cast it.

Bill
    jig.jpg 98.5K
    As beat up and broken down as I am, it wouldn't be worth his trouble to filet me, all fat and grisle anyway. :rotflmao

I'll have to bend up a few hooks and try it this weekend if I get to go out. I'm always up to try something new!

Thanks for sharing!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Cool hook setup. They have weighted swimbait hooks like that. Couldn't you use superglue to hold the head ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,772 Captain
    Awesome trip Billy! I love catching trout when they get BIGGER> They are a completely different animal than the school trout on the flats! Kinda remind me of snook> solitary shallow water ambush feeders. They even seem to get air more often than the little guys!
    I am also a fisherman who likes modifying and making lures, flys. rods and just about anything else to do w/ my fishing. It's kind of like an affliction> always have to be tinkering, tuning or creating something! For the past 2 years I've been making inline spinners of all shapes colors and sizes w/ crystals I bought on-line!! In the water they look like a 70's disco show flashing in every direction!! I've caught trout and reds on them but no snook yet! I have some giant musky/salmon size spinners w/ those vibration bells they use so much in Alaska that I just know will work for linesiders and I just know it's just a matter of time!!! Have also made buzzbaits and spinner baits along w/ dressed treples using bucktail, flashabou, crystal flash, feathers and all manor of dead animals and man made junk from collecting for over 50 years for my fly tying to pick from!
    If anyone is interested in learning/playing/making this sort of stuff> PM me and maybe we can get together sometime? Seems I always have something cookin on the stove!! The invite goes for You to Billy!! I'd like to pick Yer brain since You seem to make stuff that actually works!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    capt louie wrote: »
    Cool hook setup. They have weighted swimbait hooks like that. Couldn't you use superglue to hold the head ?

I looked into the swim bait mold but most of the plastics I use have enough coating on them that super glue won't work. And if you use any Gulp products it's even worse. Plus every time I use super glue I end up cutting my fingers apart. :rotflmao

Bill
    You know there's a reason they call it crazy glue right?

qEWjPWw.jpg
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice going Uncle Billy , you day man!
    PONCE wrote: »
    Nice going Uncle Billy , you day man!

I try Kevin...I try. :)

Bill
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Billy wrote: »
    I don't normally target trout but the bigger ones can occasionally be caught while fishing for reds on the oyster bars. This one was 24 inches and the biggest put in any of my boats. The new Gheenoe is earning a reputation already as a slime boat. :)

Bill

Billy that new Gheenoe sounds like a real nice rig.
    Also sounds like You have that inside fishing figured out!:wink
    Its been a tough year for Linda and I with Dads health being
    rough, our boat hasn`t been wet in almost a year? :shrug
    But He is a big part of my love for the out doors and at this
    time He and the farms need my time & attention much more!
    Keep After-em :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg