Home General Fishing

Looking for good mono line. I have been using power pro over a decade now.

2»

Replies

• seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    You should find someone that uses mono exclusively...and ask him. :wink:grin

Asking, Do you use it for both top water and jigs? The old question is braid or mono for what application? I use both just depends on what lure. I use artificial 99.9% of the time inshore. As far as mono for inshore Backcountry blue no issues on conventional. Only use 2 spinners both with braid. One twitch baits other is for pitching live bait under a thunder. From the beach on Big Game works great on the thumb educated 525 and Abu Blues. My trolling rods have both Ande and Mamoi. Bottom bumping braid to Ande Pink.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    seadog517 wrote: »
    the inner coastal
    intracoastal. :)
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    seajay-1 wrote: »
    Asking, Do you use it for both top water and jigs?

Yes...I do. I find the stretch forgiving with large Trout and no real advantage to braid when site fishing for Reds and snook.

And I actually do have one braid rod set up...a broomstick for tossing large mullet and yanking big snook out of bad spots...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Talk to ron or John at hi liner tackle in lighthouse point/pomp beach area.....they are the momoi exclusive hub dealer......if your in the tackle , fishing industry and have your license I believe you can buy directly still....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Yes, But wouldn't a world record justify the extra expense......

I'd certainly think so; Ande Tournament would be my choice if I was purposely trying for a record.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    Yes...I do. I find the stretch forgiving with large Trout and no real advantage to braid when site fishing for Reds and snook.

And I actually do have one braid rod set up...a broomstick for tossing large mullet and yanking big snook out of bad spots...

Got to love Snook fishing old school.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    waldnerr wrote: »
    I'd certainly think so; Ande Tournament would be my choice if I was purposely trying for a record.

Ray, Ande tournament line and its added expense is no longer needed, especially since about 1980, when the IGFA went to the metric system. For example, there is no longer the 8 lb. class, it is 4 kilogram class. 4 kilos = 8.8 lbs., so you have a .8lb. leeway in your line test. Additionally, the IGFA soaks all line samples for 24 hours before testing. Reason is that mono line absorbs water and weakens by about 5%. This actually happens after about 1 hour, into the fight, depending on the line test used. SO...5% of 8.8 is 0.44 lbs additional strength that the line will lose by virtue of being soaked in water. Added together and you can have an 8 lb. test line that can "dry" test at 9.24 lbs. (0.8 + 0.44 = 1.24) and still be IGFA compliant. Clear Ande has always dry tested within that parameter. I have never lost a potential MET, Key West, or world record, due to my Ande line not testing. I think that at least as of the early 90's, neither had Robert Trosset nor Ralph Delph and they both have hundreds of records......at least I never heard about it and I think I would have.
    .......Rick
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    doesn't matter what mono you use. just make sure that you're only using a few yards of it to start the spool when spooling with braid! :)
    that's the only use I see for mono. even when I fish for mutton I use braid. I just put 10-15 ft leaders and no problem.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    How long does mono last on a reel?
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    That would be me. I use Ande Premium clear line and have used it for almost 40 years now. Also used it for my leaders in fly fishing, shock leaders, etc. It is arguably the best mono but definitely not the most expensive and that is a good thing, since you'll probably need to change your line much more frequently in a tropical environment. (heat and sun)
    I was breaking Franks ( the OP) ****.... :grin

I too have been fishing mono since way before the "expensive means good" mentality took over.
    I use Ande and Big game interchangeably....The past 20 years I got all my Ande for free but my connection went off to retirement land. Now it is whatever one is on sale when I need another 1/4 lb spool.
    Of Ande and Trilene Big game.... The big game is a little more limp.

Are you guys using a flouro leader or just straight mono?
    Ray, Ande tournament line and its added expense is no longer needed, especially since about 1980, when the IGFA went to the metric system. For example, there is no longer the 8 lb. class, it is 4 kilogram class. 4 kilos = 8.8 lbs., so you have a .8lb. leeway in your line test. Additionally, the IGFA soaks all line samples for 24 hours before testing. Reason is that mono line absorbs water and weakens by about 5%. This actually happens after about 1 hour, into the fight, depending on the line test used. SO...5% of 8.8 is 0.44 lbs additional strength that the line will lose by virtue of being soaked in water. Added together and you can have an 8 lb. test line that can "dry" test at 9.24 lbs. (0.8 + 0.44 = 1.24) and still be IGFA compliant. Clear Ande has always dry tested within that parameter. I have never lost a potential MET, Key West, or world record, due to my Ande line not testing. I think that at least as of the early 90's, neither had Robert Trosset nor Ralph Delph and they both have hundreds of records......at least I never heard about it and I think I would have.

That's great information, Rick - thanks. I was aware of the mono water soakage factor and IGFA's going metric, but I never ran the calculations to determine just how strong dry line could be and still pass muster from IGFA. I'm still leery of some manufacturers' claims that they produce the "strongest 10lb. test monofilament on the planet," or some such nonsense; packaging line with a breaking strength of 15 lbs. as 10 lb. test does not make it so. I used to fish Ande Premium, either clear or pink, exclusively, but I never purposely fished for records so I'm not familiar with how it actually tests out. I never had any problems with Ande Premium; I always relied on the "pinging" method to determine when to back off of my drag. I really like the lower memory of Backcountry Blue and now use it for all of my light-tackle mono needs.
    I really like the lower memory of Backcountry Blue and now use it for all of my light-tackle mono needs.

Before I lost my freebie ride...The backcountry blue is what I used on spinning...and clear premium on conventionals...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Are you guys using a flouro leader or just straight mono?

For me...It depends.

In wintertime clear water...it is 15 flouro...

Recently, we have warm dirty water lately ...plus the snook have moved down into the summer spots in the IR lagoon...so it is 30 clear Ande mono.

No need for "premium" price flouro in dirty water.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    Momoi Hi-Catch Diamond.....nothing better
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 197 Deckhand
    bonephish wrote: »
    P-Line CX Premium.:thumbsup

your right I have used that line in fresh water excellent line
    I dont like braid casting light lures or live bait. I have used it in freshwater went back to mono. Mono floats good I thought it would be better with all the live bait fishing in Florida.. In saltwater in the northeast I only use baitcasting reels with powerpro with minimum 30lb ....20 lb or less I get problems
    Hello Joe, Trilene big game was all I used until Power pro came out. But that like 15 years ago. I guess it`s still a top mono.
    Pmckh wrote: »
    Why would you switch from power pro to mono unless it's just a particular setup? Just curious
    I only use small spinning reels, for freshwater , but ever time I tried powerpro on a spinning reel I don`t think I ever got more than 2 trips out of it before i would have trouble.
    Whats mono? j/k if you want a good mono for spinning try trilene xl. A lot of the mono out there has too much memory for spinning reels.

I have used it in freshwater , Excellent line does it hold up well in saltwater
    Mark O. wrote: »
    intracoastal. :)

I`am from new york :huh
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    That's great information, Rick - thanks. I was aware of the mono water soakage factor and IGFA's going metric, but I never ran the calculations to determine just how strong dry line could be and still pass muster from IGFA. I'm still leery of some manufacturers' claims that they produce the "strongest 10lb. test monofilament on the planet," or some such nonsense; packaging line with a breaking strength of 15 lbs. as 10 lb. test does not make it so. I used to fish Ande Premium, either clear or pink, exclusively,

Yeah, I know what you mean and can recall all those claims made by other mfgrs. I wonder who remembers that years ago, Ande made two "clear" lines and only one of them would test. You could tell the difference by looking at two spools placed side by side, but other than that it was very difficult. One spool would look white-ish, while the other spool would look clear translucent. I have had several phone conversations with Bill Munroe at Ande and he told me that he didn't know why, but only the "white" line would test. It was that and the pink, that for some reason would also test. Other Ande lines might or might not test out. This did not bother me, because I and the other guides had already been using Ande "white" for 10 years and it always tested. Now since fluorocarbons, I think Ande did away with the old white line and just stuck with clear, hoping to compete with the fluoro lines.

Wasn't the original "backcountry" line a green color? It didn't test (reliably) either. Obviously I have no idea about the newer blue line.
    .......Rick

Wasn't the original "backcountry" line a green color? It didn't test (reliably) either. Obviously I have no idea about the newer blue line.

Ande marketed two copolymer lines - Envy Green and Backcountry Blue - but they varied in composition and, as you mentioned, Envy Green wasn't terribly consistent. They both came out about the same time. I stopped using Envy Green soon after it appeared on the market; I know others who weren't enamored with this line, either.

Bill is an old friend of mine, too. We played tennis together for awhile and he and his wife Judy accompanied me on one of my trips to Galapagos. I wrote an article on lines for the West Palm Beach Fishing Club's magazine, "Tight Lines," quite a few years ago and Bill provided a wealth of information regarding Ande's products. I currently serve on the operations committee for the Palm Beach County KDW Classic Tournament with Chuck Gerlach, Ande's owner.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Pink Ande... enough said on the subject... LOL...
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,616 Admiral
    TB421 wrote: »
    Momoi Hi-Catch Diamond.....nothing better

^ This
    Yeah, I know what you mean and can recall all those claims made by other mfgrs. I wonder who remembers that years ago, Ande made two "clear" lines and only one of them would test. You could tell the difference by looking at two spools placed side by side, but other than that it was very difficult. One spool would look white-ish, while the other spool would look clear translucent. I have had several phone conversations with Bill Munroe at Ande and he told me that he didn't know why, but only the "white" line would test. It was that and the pink, that for some reason would also test. Other Ande lines might or might not test out. This did not bother me, because I and the other guides had already been using Ande "white" for 10 years and it always tested. Now since fluorocarbons, I think Ande did away with the old white line and just stuck with clear, hoping to compete with the fluoro lines.

I have seen one that Ande refers to as "ghost"....which is white....the clear is...clear. :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Does anyone remember " Handy" back in the 1960's.......a knock off on Pink Ande.... supposedly made in West Germany
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Does anyone remember " Handy" back in the 1960's.......a knock off on Pink Ande.... supposedly made in West Germany

I don't remember that one!
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Yep, my grandfather had some old mono with a name with H on it...he had it in his tackle box for years.....hide rant or something like that made in west Germany......of course it was nothing but the rejected ande line or left over....think about it....ande, triple fish, H all made in west Germany......all on the same type spools......I'm sure mono fishing line plants were a dime a dozen......so I believe it was all made at one plant making the mono.....first run, second run, ect......
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • HJaredHJared Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Ok,i made up my mind. It was between p line cx, momoi diamond or trilene xl. These 3 seem to the best features for a spinning reel... And the winner was trilene lx ,because it is made in the U.S.A .......A tuff thing to find these days.......