Home General Fishing

Looking for good mono line. I have been using power pro over a decade now.

seadog517seadog517 Posts: 197 Deckhand
I will be retiring in florida, I have brought a few spinning reels. I want to put on the best line I can ,for the inner coastal and the ocean. What is also a high abrasion resistance that cast well in 12 to 15 pound test thanks

Replies

• bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    P-Line CX Premium.:thumbsup
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    You can never go wrong with Ande.
  • saltwater1saltwater1 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,293 Officer
    Berkley big game
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 808 Officer
    Just curious as shy you would switch. There are a lot of guys fishing inshore with braid and a fluorocarbon leader.
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    I'm a fan of Ande Backcountry Blue and use it exclusively on mono-equipped spinning reels.
  • seabassassassinseabassassassin Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    If you are dead set on mono, I'd go with Ande Backcountry (15lb) as mentioned above. I've got it on a baitcaster for throwing topwaters and it's great. I would recommend spooling your reels with 15 or 20lb braid (PP, Fins, Sufix, etc) and using a short fluorocarbon leader. You get more casting distance, better action on lures, and more sensitivity.
    Redfish Boats - Bull Red Tournament Edition
    USCG 6-Pack
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,055 AG
    Most premium monos will be fine. I have used Ande and now have been using Trilene big game...both work equally well.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    seadog517 wrote: »
    I will be retiring in florida, I have brought a few spinning reels. I want to put on the best line I can ,for the inner coastal and the ocean. What is also a high abrasion resistance that cast well in 12 to 15 pound test thanks

You should find someone that uses mono exclusively...and ask him. :wink:grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • will i amwill i am Posts: 314 Officer
    momoi is by far the best
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Used Ande before and had lots of problems with tangles and twists. Switched back to Trilene XL and have had good results.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    After trying all different types of mono, even all the Momoi products, I still think big game is the strongest/best bang for your buck mono.

I really do like the Berkeley pro spec though, but I got a huge spool for free, and once it's done I'll be back using big game...
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    I have always liked the Berkley Big Game products.....

3600 yards of 15 pound test for about $35 bucks....
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Berkley Big Game (BBG) or if you want to be fancy, Yo-zuri hybrid.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Why would you switch from power pro to mono unless it's just a particular setup? Just curious
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Jinkai aka liquid blue steel, momoi only lines to use....and yes ande owns more world records than anyone, I still hate the stuff....I have lost more trophy fish on ande than I have caught....I have landed every trophy fish hooked on Jinkai and momoi....ande just has been around for a whole lot longer and at the time was the best mono line on the market hands down.....triple fish was a good line around the time as well...
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • snooknicksnooknick Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Momoi make great mono line
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Berkley Big Game (BBG) or if you want to be fancy, Yo-zuri hybrid.
    I'm disappointed with Yo-zuri Hybrid personally. I got a spool of 12# in a spring sale and it seems a bit weak to me, often breaking when I am testing recently tied knots. Might be my imagination, but my previous spool of Ande 12# wasn't as easy to break.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with Yo-zuri Hybrid personally. I got a spool of 12# in a spring sale and it seems a bit weak to me, often breaking when I am testing recently tied knots. Might be my imagination, but my previous spool of Ande 12# wasn't as easy to break.

This is my crankbait line in 10# either straight to the lure or uni'd to 17# flouro bite leader. It has performed very well for me. It may not have the same knot strength as Ande (which I gave up on years ago; no thanks for the line "memory.") Maybe it's your knots, maybe you're too hard on testing knots (they are not as stressed as when using braid,) or maybe you got a bad batch or I got a good batch? :shrug
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Its plausible that I've become too accustomed to braid now.
    I do agree, however, that it doesn't have the line memory of Ande.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    The only problem I've encountered with Yo-Zuri Hybrid is that it overtested on a potential record flounder caught on what was supposed to have been 4 lb. line. The line tested at over 6 lb.. Hybrid seems to be a bit stiffer than many other monofilaments, likely due to the fluorocarbon coating, but this can be a good thing when using very light line.

Ande monofilaments vary in their composition and properties. Ande Premium, which has been around at least as long as the late '60's, when I was a "pier rat," is a stiffer nylon monofilament and has considerable memory. Envy Green and Backcountry Blue are copolymers with less memory, although they supposedly won't last as long (this info. came from Ande's former V.P.).
    waldnerr wrote: »
    The only problem I've encountered with Yo-Zuri Hybrid is that it overtested on a potential record flounder caught on what was supposed to have been 4 lb. line. The line tested at over 6 lb..

Ande has a line just for record attempts...Guaranteed to comply with IGFA testing.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    You should find someone that uses mono exclusively...and ask him. :wink:grin

That would be me. I use Ande Premium clear line and have used it for almost 40 years now. Also used it for my leaders in fly fishing, shock leaders, etc. It is arguably the best mono but definitely not the most expensive and that is a good thing, since you'll probably need to change your line much more frequently in a tropical environment. (heat and sun)
    .......Rick
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    That would be me. I use Ande Premium clear line and have used it for almost 40 years now. Also used it for my leaders in fly fishing, shock leaders, etc. It is arguably the best mono but definitely not the most expensive and that is a good thing, since you'll probably need to change your line much more frequently in a tropical environment. (heat and sun)

I was breaking Franks ( the OP) ****.... :grin

I too have been fishing mono since way before the "expensive means good" mentality took over.
    I use Ande and Big game interchangeably....The past 20 years I got all my Ande for free but my connection went off to retirement land. Now it is whatever one is on sale when I need another 1/4 lb spool.
    Of Ande and Trilene Big game.... The big game is a little more limp.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Ande has a line just for record attempts...Guaranteed to comply with IGFA testing.

Yep - Ande Tournament is "class" rather than "test" rated, and one pays a premium price for that breaking strength guarantee. Tournament has also been around for a long time, but I'm not sure of its formulation.
    waldnerr wrote: »
    Yep - Ande Tournament is "class" rather than "test" rated, and one pays a premium price for that breaking strength guarantee. Tournament has also been around for a long time, but I'm not sure of its formulation.

Yes, But wouldn't a world record justify the extra expense......
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    seadog517 wrote: »

Whats mono? j/k if you want a good mono for spinning try trilene xl. A lot of the mono out there has too much memory for spinning reels.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Pmckh wrote: »
    Why would you switch from power pro to mono unless it's just a particular setup? Just curious

Very curious
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 609 Officer
    There's none better than Momoi, that's just a fact. I was a big Ande fan for years and hate the stuff now. Momoi is supple and pliable, the big plus is I've had no unexplainable failures. I will not put another mono on my reels period, especially when there's money on the line.
    I'm not in any way affiliated with Momoi but sure wish I was.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I have a couple of rods spooled with yo-zuri hybrid. It's stronger than the spool says it is and the website says it is so if you want a 12# line go with a 8#. It's thinner than normal mono and casts better IMO. Plus it doesn't wear out like mono does from the sun and salt.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters