Is Christianity Done?

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral

Qau9uXq.png

That's his job, right? If Christians automatically knew how to be Christians, the Pope wouldn't have a job.

Then who would ride in the Popemobile?
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    That's his job, right? If Christians automatically knew how to be Christians, the Pope wouldn't have a job.

Then who would ride in the Popemobile?

He didn't really want the job, like is Boss.

He's talking to you, in particular. Listen and learn.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    I would not say that in a loud voice for Him to hear, if I was you.

But that's just me.

Qau9uXq.png

I appreciate your advice. Sometimes your own advice is one best followed; but that is just me.
    I do it on my personal retreat everyday. Just like Jorge do.

You should try it.

Lying is one of the top 10 things to not do, BTW.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    he's a great pope.
    he's a great pope.

He is indeed. He restoreth the faith. Even if you don't have any. A great, no BS guy.

Francis the Great has a nice ring to it.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 511 Officer
    jlh49 wrote: »
    True believers of faith view atheists' attitudes reflected here, and other forums, unbelievable, opportunistic, and mostly, entertaining.

Whether one believes in God, aliens, myths, and/or something out of nothing, it is fun and at times downright insightful to read comments.

Regardless of rhetoric, some are well thought out, organized, and presented in logical formats; which by their nature illicit some reader thought.

Some are typical one liners which echo other one liners designed to generate laughter from a similar thinking audience through cattiness & sarcasm.

And lastly are the comments from the super intelligent who post strictly for the self seeking gratification of impressing others on just how much they know relative to those who in their mind, are just plain dumb.

Depending on the quality of postings, or lack of, participants of either groups may stay, participate, or in most cases, just leave the building.

In my humble opinion.

That's a very good post. Now, if you swap the words "true believers of faith" and "athesits" around in the first senteance you will get the see the other point of view.

Arguing about the existence of a God is an exercise in skillfully constructing an arguement, and exercising either oral or written communication skills to to support said arguement. Yet, you will never convince another if there is a divine being or not. It is based upon faith and either you have faith or you do not.

Now, discussions about the positive and negative effects of organized religion throughout history are a little more tangible.

He's talking to you, in particular. Listen and learn.

Yes Father Colecchio.
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    That's a very good post. Now, if you swap the words "true believers of faith" and "athesits" around in the first senteance you will get the see the other point of view.

Arguing about the existence of a God is an exercise in skillfully constructing an arguement, and exercising either oral or written communication skills to to support said arguement. Yet, you will never convince another if there is a divine being or not. It is based upon faith and either you have faith or you do not.

Now, discussions about the positive and negative effects of organized religion throughout history are a little more tangible.

That's a very good post too. The fruit of arguing for God is a little rotten.
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Yes, Father Colecchio.

Pearls before swine.

They use given names. Gary is not a saint's name, either.

Arguing about the existence of aliens that created the universe is an exercise in skillfully constructing an arguement, and exercising either oral or written communication skills to to support said arguement. Yet, you will never convince another if that aliens are watching and will soon return or not. It is based upon faith and either you have faith or you do not.

I like that best.
    Qau9uXq.png
    Pearls before swine.

Did Pope Francis teach you that? How does that make you "be Christian?"

The Pope is a little too far away. I'm looking to you as you look to the Holy Father to teach me "how to be Christian."
    nuevowavo wrote:

I don't care if people worship the 'live in your shed/eats Reese's Pieces/make bikes fly' kind or the creepy, 'abduct the Guy from The Movie Jaws' kind... Because lots of people pretty much do wor$hip those :)

The question is, "are we alone"? Any intelligent, non-human we contacted would answer that question, the same way - a yes. Aliens would exist - even if the real ones are the 'Biblical Indiana Jones style' aliens in the end.

The Lost Ark aliens, not the Crystal Skull ones.
    Did Pope Francis teach you that? How does that make you "be Christian?"

The Pope is a little too far away. I'm looking to you as you look to the Holy Father to teach me "how to be Christian."

No, I learned that when I was a kid a few Popes ago, who I didn't learn that from either.

I do not possess the competency nor saintly patience required to instruct you in Christianity or Catholicism, both of which you, in contrast, have no hesitation to profess to me with less.

I do it on my personal retreat everyday. Just like Jorge do.

You should try it.

An admirable conviction and commitment of faith; especially those who do it discretely.
    Lying is one of the top 10 things to not do, BTW.

Objective self awareness is also an admirable trait, you should try it. Lying to oneself probably makes the top ten, also.
    TXWahoo wrote: »

I appreciate your comments; however, my post was not an argument about the existence of God, just an opinion about posters on this forum.

Comments by posters are as tangible as discussions about the positive and negative effects of organized religion throughout history.
    Arguing about the existence of aliens that created the universe is an exercise in skillfully constructing an arguement, and exercising either oral or written communication skills to to support said arguement. Yet, you will never convince another if that aliens are watching and will soon return or not. It is based upon faith and either you have faith or you do not.

I like that best.

Good post, and I like it even better than many of your others.

Aliens excluded, of course!

:wink

I don't care if people worship the 'live in your shed/eats Reese's Pieces/make bikes fly' kind or the creepy, 'abduct the Guy from The Movie Jaws' kind... Because lots of people pretty much do wor$hip those :)

The question is, "are we alone"? Any intelligent, non-human we contacted would answer that question, the same way - a yes. Aliens would exist - even if the real ones are the 'Biblical Indiana Jones style' aliens in the end.

The Lost Ark aliens, not the Crystal Skull ones.

That is the unique privilege we have in this country, freedom to believe what we wish.
    I'm open to aliens having created our universe.

However, I vehemently deny your claims of communication with them.
    I'm open to aliens having created our universe.

Depending on one's definition of an alien, I can agree with you.
    However, I vehemently deny your claims of communication with them.

And I likewise "vehemently" agree that you are entitled to that opinion.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Creationism

In the beginning there was nothing except an impossibly old bearded white dude in a robe...and then magic instantly made the Circle of Earth, with the Sun & Moon revolving around it.
    In the beginning there was nothing; and then.....from nothing, something happened! And that something from nothing just happened to create unbelievable other somethings that continued to mutate into something else, which now...explains everything.
    Creationism
    and then magic instantly made the Circle of Earth, with the Sun & Moon revolving around it.

This rendition based upon limited understanding, and incorrect, (though the Bible doesn't state the sun revolves around the Earth,) does sound quite similar to someone's "myths, ghosts and magic" as they crudely attempt to describe things they don't fully comprehend.
    nuevowavo wrote:
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 26,851 AG
    In the beginning there was nothing; and then.....from nothing, something happened! And that something from nothing just happened to create unbelievable other somethings that continued to mutate into something else, which now...explains everything.

No one has said there was nothing. We don't know what was here before the big bang. Also, the big bang was not an explosion but an expansion of time and space. We not close to explaining everything.

The creationist says that God created everything out of nothing and that he has no beginning. Your post sounds more like what the creationist believes than what sciences says, except you need to insert a God

In the beginning there was God; and then.....from God, something happened! And that something from God just happened to create unbelievable other somethings that continued to mutate into something else, which now...explains everything.

Mini Mart Magnate

Take your pick of renditions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bible+cosmology&biw=1280&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZVE-VZbyOoOeyASpj4GoAw&ved=0CCkQsAQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=bible+cosmology&biw=1280&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZVE-VZbyOoOeyASpj4GoAw&ved=0CCkQsAQ#tbm=isch&q=bible+has+earth+at+center+of+universe
    This rendition based upon limited understanding, and incorrect, (though the Bible doesn't state the sun revolves around the Earth,) does sound quite similar to someone's "myths, ghosts and magic" as they crudely attempt to describe things they don't fully comprehend.

PP most likely has his own quirky alternative interpretation of Creationist cosmology that defies all the common published & widely known renditions.
    cadman wrote: »
    No one has said there was nothing. We don't know what was here before the big bang. Also, the big bang was not an explosion but an expansion of time and space. We not close to explaining everything.

The creationist says that God created everything out of nothing and that he has no beginning. Your post sounds more like what the creationist believes than what sciences says, except you need to insert a God

In the beginning there was God; and then.....from God, something happened! And that something from God just happened to create unbelievable other somethings that continued to mutate into something else, which now...explains everything.

Exactly! Now convince others of that fact.

Did I mention an explosion?

Thanks for your analysis of what you thought my post sounded like. It is evident you have special skills; especially those associated with assumptive interpretations of other posts.
    Yup.

Thanks for your analysis of what you thought my post sounded like. It is evident you have special skills; especially those associated with assumptive interpretations of other posts.
    Yup.

Then provide the post number where I did so.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 26,851 AG
    Exactly! Now convince others of that fact.

It was in response to this. No assumptive interpretation needed.

Mini Mart Magnate