Home Tropics

Yellow Fins in the Canyons

Bimini DreamBimini Dream Posts: 407 Deckhand
Going to make our first tuna trip the 1st of May into the canyons and am looking for some reports specific to that area. I of course will post a report on this our first and all follow up trips already planned.
Thanks
A Part Of Paradise
http://onetoughkitty.com

Replies

• mike923mike923 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Dolphin everywhere. We did not find the tuna this past weekend. Didn't go to Lucaya, just west end but went south. Friday was nice but we only found one flock of birds and we caught a marlin instead of tuna. Saturday was a bit sporty in the channel so finding birds was difficult. Next weekend we are going to grand then to Lucaya on the 15th so let us know how you do on the first.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 261 Deckhand
    hopefully heading over the weekend of Apr 25... will post an update. going out of Bimini...anyone else thinking of doing the same?
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,245 AG
    Had some buddies [/url]

you have buddies? :hairraiser

Good Luck Bimini Dream....... looking forward to the Report....
    Gary M wrote: »
    you have buddies? :hairraiser

QUOTE]

Shocking I know. And all Republicans. :hairraiser
  • livebayter1livebayter1 Posts: 53 Deckhand
    don't go with high hopes because you are going on the full moon, dolphin will still bite and so will marlin but tuna especially yellowfins will be very doubtful. With that being said good luck i hope i am wrong and you guys catch them
    Has anyone ever tried going out close to sundown, trolling up a bunch of skippies, chunk and wait for night to fall. Then just create a slick in the middle of the canyons all night like they do in the Gulf. That has to work no?
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Has anyone ever tried going out close to sundown, trolling up a bunch of skippies, chunk and wait for night to fall. Then just create a slick in the middle of the canyons all night like they do in the Gulf. That has to work no?

i'm game for this, with a couple of live gogs in the water

alacrity wrote: »
    i'm game for this, with a couple of live gogs in the water

Well set it up Rafa! I'm in!
  • Bimini DreamBimini Dream Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Sounds interesting guys and you know what you'll never know until you try
    A Part Of Paradise
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer

For the late bite we usually don't leave the dock til 4 and return at 9-10, unless it's on the run up there from Bimini.
    Well I'm game for sure
    A Part Of Paradise
    Well I'm certainly game for that
    A Part Of Paradise
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Doing a morning Cross between Lucaya and Chub on Friday... Will let you know
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    Compleat wrote: »
    Doing a morning Cross between Lucaya and Chub on Friday... Will let you know

Here's to hoping wi fi in Chub is up the entire trip. How long will you be there?
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Just friday through monday...
  • TeanmTzHerTeanmTzHer Posts: 100 Officer
    Just a random question. But where are the canyons located?
    If you aint fishin you aint Livin!
    DSCF2380-1.jpg
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 890 Officer
    NW Providence Channel Bahamas
    Google for more info
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • TeanmTzHerTeanmTzHer Posts: 100 Officer
    Thank you cntndr
    If you aint fishin you aint Livin!
    DSCF2380-1.jpg
  • biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
    TeanmTzHer wrote: »
    Thank you cntndr

Chunking all night will get you more oceanic white tip and tiger sharks than you ever care to see
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 261 Deckhand
    Got back yesterday from Bimini. We crossed on Sat, cleared customs and then headed up to the Gingerbreads. Loaded up on some yellowtails in the early afternoon and then wente up into the channel. Started blindly running looking for birds, decided to head toward one of the few contour lines that showed up on my plotter. Around 5:30 we found 2 birds that turned into 5 then 12 so I assumed this was exactly what we were searching for. put out trolling gear and landed a nice 12lb dolphin, but target was YFT. After a couple of more unsuccessful passes I switch up to chunk. Running out of daylight I start emptying the bait box as quickly as I can but then realize there is a huge shark circling right behind the boat eating up everything I'm throwing. We tried to relocate but lost the birds, which is fine because we were truly out in the middle of nowhere with a long way back to Bimini.

As I write this, I know that we need to tighten up our game, I was surprised at how quickly it started and how quickly it was over. My comfort zone is trolling but next time I will probably start with the chunk. Experts, how would you have handled this?
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 890 Officer
    Not an expert but, get tight with a BFT, better yet YFT, shut down immediately and begin chunking. Start free-lining whole dead or live Sardines and hold on for dear life :-)
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
    Well our first trip of the Year, May 1st was a huge success. I'm a little tired right now so I write a report in the morning that is if I don't just turn around and go again tomorrow
    A Part Of Paradise
    The crew left again early this morning to hit the Gingerbreads and then on to the canyons. I decided to stay behind after yesterdays long trip.
    Here's the Friday report
    We left the dock at 5:30am and headed for the Gingerbreads to yellow tail and bottom fish. Arrived at our first spot in about 70' anchored and put out the chum bags. Nice flags and 3 very nice cobia in the 40 to 50lb range from the guys fishing the bottom. Then the sharks arrived. I probably move the boat a dozen times up and down the ledge and in different depths. At all it was the same story fishing was good for about 1/2 hr. then the relentless sharks would arrive. I finally gave up and we decided to head for the tuna grounds early so we stowed all our gear used at the Gingerbreads and broke out the tuna gear. With everything rigged and ready to go at about 1:00 we headed for the grounds.

We ran up to the canyons and started looking for the birds. It didn't take long and we found a pack working an area. This crew has never chunked for tuna before so there was a lot to teach them. I took care of the chunking and stood by to show how and when to put their baits in the water. The look on all of them when the first yellow fin hit was priceless. What do I do now was the cry from the guy on the rod, nothing came my reply as came to his side and very slowly increased his drag to the strike position. Now the tuna knows he's hooked and almost takes the angler to his knees. The first tuna hits the deck and these guys go nuts with high fives and screaming.
    Now they did lose quite a few tunas many because of some bad knots and not keeping pressure on the fish when they would get tired, but they learned the error of their ways quickly. The best way to learn of course is to experience what's happening first hand and to digest what just happened and why.
    A half dozen tunas were sharked right at the boat. Then came the big strike. We had to chase this one down as the angler was down to the backing. The battle went on for over an hr. with three guys trading off on the rod as they very slowly gained back some line. Finally came the color. Now everyone came over to see this giant in the death spiral come closer and closer to the surface. I had two gaffs at the ready. Just when we were about to set the first gaff a huge shark takes this giant in one swipe and again leaves us with only the head. The head was massive and I estimated the fish would have been in the three digits. At dark we started our run back to Bimini Sands arriving at 9:45 and everyone tired but very happy.

I will write a report on how todays trip went for them tomorrow. I can't wait to hear how they handled themselves with the lessons learned yesterday. They did take quite a few photos but I don't have them yet to post but when I do I will add them to this report. They head back to Tampa tomorrow morning.
    A Part Of Paradise
  • lt20lt20 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Day two May 2nd. The wind was blowing from the NE and I knew the run through the bank to the Gingerbreads was going to be nasty so I decided to stay behind. The guys were off at 6:00. They told me the ride to the yellow tail ridge was a little nasty. Fishing for tails was good lots of fun and for some reason not bothered too much from the sharks, probably stuffed from the day before.
    They then headed to the same area we caught the tunas the day before. Found the birds about three miles from where we were yesterday. They learned their lessons well and soon had tunas in the boat. Sill losing multiple tunas to sharks but again not as many as yesterday. All I have to say is there are some big tunas out there right now.
    They arrived at the dock around 10:00. They again just cleaned a few tails and a tuna for dinner. Sunday's weather was looking bad so their plan was to get up early pack the boat and scat. They had two long full days of fishing, had a great time and I'm sure lots of stories to tell when they get back home. They arrived at Harbour Towne a little wet but safe and sound. Now the haul back to Tampa. I remember those days not fun when your exhausted.
    A Part Of Paradise
    We arrived Saturday the 13th for a week of hard core fishing. First trip to the canyons was Monday and it was an epic trip to say the least. When things calm down a bit I will write a report and post photos of the trip.
    A Part Of Paradise
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Sweet! Pic heavy hopefully
    Banged them again today. Maybe I can post some photos tomorrow, maybe.
    A Part Of Paradise
    Got them again yesterday.
    Screen shot of the big boys
    A Part Of Paradise