Home Fly Fishing

fly casting lessons

privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
looking for someone to get fly casting lessons from, any suggestions? I am in lake worth but will travel.

Replies

• idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 242 Deckhand
    Go to the FFF site and search for instructors near you. There are various levels of expertise and ability, but I never found an FFF-certified instructor who didn't know his business very well.
    You can also try a fly shop, but the value of the instruction can be a bit more iffy. If you just want the basics and nothing fancy, they can probably help you out.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    looking for someone to get fly casting lessons from, any suggestions? I am in lake worth but will travel.

Sir,

If I were you, I would go to my favorite fly shop and ask about lessons.

I have found that a FFF instructors are just a joke with swelled heads.

My 2 cents

Carl
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Find a local club or shop. They'll often have events or stuff set up.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    Sir,

If I were you, I would go to my favorite fly shop and ask about lessons.

I have found that a FFF instructors are just a joke with swelled heads.

My 2 cents

Carl
    He said he is willing to travel, so what is it that you could teach him better than a FFF Instructor?
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain

Hopefully ODC will reply as he would have more info for your area. If not PM him here on the board. Great guy and knows fla fly fishing.
    ODC = Old Dirty Caster
    Sir,

I am/was a FFF certified casting instructor 25 years ago, I am/was on the board of governors. I didn't do anything to get those titles, Mel Kreger was a friend of mine and just sent them to me.........Now why would I be a better instructor then the guy that works at a fly shop just cause I have a piece of paper that said I was?

Again FFF certified is just a joke. Don't pay extra cause somebody has a FFF certificate, its worthless. my 2 cents

Carl
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    As usual Carl is correct. Some/most of the best instructors are not FFF certified. But at least if you go to someone who is FFF certified you are getting a person who has gone through their testing and has talent.

I have used just about everyone in the Central FL area. I think Jon Cave is the best he lives in Sanford and is worth the drive. Google him, he is the real deal.
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Jack Montague at Wolfglen Fly Fishing School in Punta Gorda.

This dude is the real mccoy.

Let me know if you want his contact info.
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    thanks to all for the suggestions will visit the site and ask locally
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    There is nothing difficult about understanding how to manipulate a fly rod. When properly presented the average student can self correct within 30 to forty five minutes. When working with an instructor, it isn't important how much the instructor knows, but how easy they make the understanding for you.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Sir,

I am/was a FFF certified casting instructor 25 years ago, I am/was on the board of governors. I didn't do anything to get those titles, Mel Kreger was a friend of mine and just sent them to me.........Now why would I be a better instructor then the guy that works at a fly shop just cause I have a piece of paper that said I was?

Again FFF certified is just a joke. Don't pay extra cause somebody has a FFF certificate, its worthless. my 2 cents

Carl

I'm glad somebody else said it before me.....also glad that I wasn't asked directly. I might not have been as kind as Carl (and redjim) were. Just for fun, wasn't one of the prerequisites for FFF certification, that you had to be able to throw 100 ft. with just the rod's tip section? (This is 20+ years ago, so I might not remember correctly) However I DO remember seeing that one had to know how to cast a tailing loop and from both sides to boot. I remembered all the hours of practice I spent, just so I did not throw tailing loops!

I can see where a knowledge of line mending techniques might be desirable in stream fishing for trout, but in salt water, FFF certification is a joke. IMO, the 2 best attributes a salt water casting instructor can have are 1) his own proficiency, and 2) the desire to each others. His teaching techniques might suffer at first, but with experience they get better.
    .......Rick
    There is nothing difficult about understanding how to manipulate a fly rod. When properly presented the average student can self correct within 30 to forty five minutes. When working with an instructor, it isn't important how much the instructor knows, but how easy they make the understanding for you.

Another good point. An instructor who is good for one guy, might not be the best for the next. Mostly it's a matter of semantics in how information is given. An instructor will gel with some folks, while others may be left in the dark. I think this is especially true for people starting from scratch in fly casting.
    .......Rick
    shadowwalker that is very, very well said. I think I am pretty coachable but it really is that "ah hah" moment were it clicks that is the key. Again well said. thanks again for the comments.
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    I'm glad somebody else said it before me.....also glad that I wasn't asked directly. I might not have been as kind as Carl (and redjim) were. Just for fun, wasn't one of the prerequisites for FFF certification, that you had to be able to throw 100 ft. with just the rod's tip section? (This is 20+ years ago, so I might not remember correctly) However I DO remember seeing that one had to know how to cast a tailing loop and from both sides to boot. I remembered all the hours of practice I spent, just so I did not throw tailing loops!

I can see where a knowledge of line mending techniques might be desirable in stream fishing for trout, but in salt water, FFF certification is a joke. IMO, the 2 best attributes a salt water casting instructor can have are 1) his own proficiency, and 2) the desire to each others. His teaching techniques might suffer at first, but with experience they get better.

Rick.

It was about 20-25 years ago the FFF casting thing started up. early 90's.

If I remember correctly you had to roll cast 40 feet, throw a tailing loop on demand, I think you had to cast 80 feet, pretty much what any journeyman caster could do in his sleep. Don't get me wrong, their are some great casters in the FFF, however the average guy could never get a lesson with them.

I also think there are two groups of casters in the world today....we have the ones that go to fly shows and show off, then we have the real McCoy's who actually fish and are very good fisherman, these are the guys on the front of a flats boat with the sun and wind in their face making those real tough shots at real fish in real conditions, Andy Mills and Lefty comes to mind. These are the real heroes in my book.....just my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    No different than any sport, depends on how much or how little you already know as to which instructor might be best for you.

Most fly fishermen I know have never had an actual lesson, just tapes, books and most importantly, practice.

I taught folks twice a week in basic, show up and cast for 2 hour fashion, for years and primarily it is all noobs who want to get into the sport. Occasionally I would have an experienced angler hire me to do one on one lessons, this cannot be done effectively without being on the types of water you will be fishing.

If casting mechanism and explanation is what one seeks, this is a good time for an instructor, even if the instructor is not a great caster they can still be good instructors.

The requirements for us down here are quite different than for those who are looking to cast to a trout in a stream or river where repetitive blind casting can be very productive.

Wind, deck of the boat, line management are all factors that have a great deal to do with being able to make that shot with 5-45 seconds to work with.

One on one lessons are great for folks who have a specific aspect they are looking to enhance or cure.
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    come to Sarasota I will teach you.
    Ifitswims has good points too.

This is a little off topic, but if you want to see something really funny, take a guy who's been fly fishing (sight fishing) in the Keys for (say) 10+ years, and put him on a trout stream and see what happens.

I'll never forget my first time. It had been about 16 years since I last fly fished for trout. Forget the fact that it took me a half hour to thread a 7X tippet through the eye of a #16 blue winged olive! But trading in a 9' 12 wt. for a 7' 3 wt., some habits die slow....real slow. Stepping into a little spring creek, I started stripping some line off my reel, scouting the water. I guess I just kept stripping unconsciously, for soon a small trout rose in a riffle ahead of me, only about 25 feet away. I instinctively made a roll cast, hauled back and then hauled forward, releasing the line. The fly, a 9 ft. leader and about 60 feet of fly line, all landed in a nice concise pile, right where the rise form had been. This was followed immediately by a "scared white" trout hauling **** (almost greyhounding!) downstream past me, to parts unknown. Realizing what I had done, I think I laughed at myself for the next 10 minutes. You had to be there. But I have heard of other folks having similar problems, especially with "delicacy," when returning back to fresh water trout, after a lengthy stint in the Keys.
    .......Rick
    shadowwalker that is very, very well said. I think I am pretty coachable but it really is that "ah hah" moment were it clicks that is the key. Again well said. thanks again for the comments.
    The key to understanding the fly rod is, its a fly rod and you don't 'cast' a fly rod because its a fly rod not a spinning rod, casting rod or spin casting rod. If an instructor says 'cast' they don't mean cast as you relate to the word cast, they mean draw, project, aim, control, consider, shape, form a line path but not cast. Casting as most relate casting to a fishing rod is a single hard forward thrusting motion were in the lure draws the line behind, nothing like a fly rod were the line is projected and draws the lure behind it instead.
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    I've read this post and the "dislike" for the FFF Casting Instructor's Programme is, I find insulting and offensive. As an instructor myself, like any educator, teacher, instructor in any sport, it is essential to understand essential basic techniques to forge an improved understanding to help someone who is new to the sport. It is about having a similar foundation. I am markedly maths and physics minded and the basic essentials which any instructor is able to teach is what it is about. Yes, unfortunately you will always get your bad eggs in the sport, however that should not detract from the majority who are apart of attempting to provide a service to educate. An instructor does not mean that they are the best casters. It is about education. Furthermore, Instructors are meant to be able too pick casting errors and help correct them in a simplistic measure. No different to a certified tennis coach or Certified golf coach, etc. There appears more personal issues of dislike rather than fact as far as I'm concerned with what has been said here.

Michael
    East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"
    The FFF has allowed its reputation to become were it stands among those of us who teach for love of the sport and the fly fishing community. The casting instructors program has an image problem and they brought it upon themselves.
    Ghost147 wrote: »
    I've read this post and the "dislike" for the FFF Casting Instructor's Programme is, I find insulting and offensive. As an instructor myself, like any educator, teacher, instructor in any sport, it is essential to understand essential basic techniques to forge an improved understanding to help someone who is new to the sport. It is about having a similar foundation. I am markedly maths and physics minded and the basic essentials which any instructor is able to teach is what it is about. Yes, unfortunately you will always get your bad eggs in the sport, however that should not detract from the majority who are apart of attempting to provide a service to educate. An instructor does not mean that they are the best casters. It is about education. Furthermore, Instructors are meant to be able too pick casting errors and help correct them in a simplistic measure. No different to a certified tennis coach or Certified golf coach, etc. There appears more personal issues of dislike rather than fact as far as I'm concerned with what has been said here.

Michael

Sir,

Go back and read your post and save your speech for the beginners ....your post is exactly what I was talking about, give somebody a piece a paper and all of a sudden they are 2 foot taller. I would always recommend to a beginner, to get a lesson from a good casting fly fisherman, not some blow hard from a indoor casting pond. I would rather be able to cast like Andy Mills or lefty under fishing conditions then the king of the casting pond any day of the week...that's just me

You have your opinion and I have mind.

Carl Blackledge
    I think what some are saying, is that there is nothing wrong with an FFF certified instructor. Simply don't limit your search to those that are. I for one am certain that there are some excellent casting instructors for what we do, that are FFF certified; just as there excellent instructors who are not certified.
    .......Rick
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I'd never allow a faceless entity to tax me annually to retain my credentials. As for certification, the test is based on your ability to break down the components of a cast, and relate that information to someone with limited casting experience. That's pretty much it. I know a couple very capable instructors that are certified, and I know a couple of clowns that have no business teaching anyone anything that are certified. I don't teach, and have no intentions of ever starting. Louis does lessons at the shop by appointment.
    come to Sarasota I will teach you.

I may just take you up on that.... prepping for a Bahamas trip but when I get back we will talk
    I think either you can teach, or do a great job of communicating your ideas or you can't. nothing can change that. a lot of it depends on the relationship between student and teacher and each persons perception of the other.
    I may just take you up on that.... prepping for a Bahamas trip but when I get back we will talk

Privateer19,

I'll bet the reel aggressive guy does a great job with you.
    Good luck.

Carl
  • SurfcasterSurfcaster Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Sorry for being late to the party, but where is Louis and his shop?

Thanks...
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Surfcaster wrote: »
    Sorry for being late to the party, but where is Louis and his shop?

Thanks...

Louis works at Harry Goode's in downtown Melbourne. (321)723-4751
  • Flats BossFlats Boss Posts: 68 Deckhand
    If you're in Lake Worth, look up Gene Geppert. You can get his number at Ole Florida Fly Shop. Took a lesson with him and he was very thorough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    16' Ankona Shadowcast
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Wow...........

there might be arrogance in some instructors, yet clearly there is arrogance in amongst the fly fishers here too.

that's uncool
    East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"