4-4-15 Video: Cobia spearfishing off Jupiter... and a nice blackfin!

We had an epic day of spearfishing for cobia off of Jupiter yesterday! The seas were calm, the viz was great and the cobia were plentiful. We ended up with 8 cobia and bluewaterspearo scored a solid blackfin tuna - that was the icing on the cake. Our friend Charlie from Nevis who had never speared a cobia shot his first and one of the biggest of the day. All fish were shot in federal water over 3 miles from the coast where the limit is 2/person/day with no boat limit.

https://vimeo.com/124157351

Replies

• CatalystCatalyst Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Awesome catch and video! We saw you guys at the marina. We had a tough time getting the fish to bite. Looks like the spear was the best bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Wow, epic!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,837 Captain
    I'm thinking I might be doing it wrong :huh That's awesome!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • BluewaterspearoBluewaterspearo Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Fun times we had a great day! Awesome video as always Paul!
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Amazing video...
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • MaribellaMaribella Posts: 508 Officer
    Props on the 81' shot. That ain't easy. Keep the vid's coming..
    Captain James Jolly

RYlyzXj.jpg

Maribella Charters, LLC
    www.MaribellaCharters.com
    ph: 772.222.7101
    [email protected]
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Insane work.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Great report Paul and crew! Saw the video on FB today. Thanks for sharing.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 627 Officer
    Wow...that's insane. Thinking we need to trade in our fishing gear for spearguns cause we came home with one measly Yellowtail on Sat.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • The Greater FoolThe Greater Fool Posts: 134 Officer
    Good shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BudbirdBudbird Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    nutsmagoo wrote: »
    We had an epic day of spearfishing for cobia off of Jupiter yesterday! The seas were calm, the viz was great and the cobia were plentiful. We ended up with 8 cobia and bluewaterspearo scored a solid blackfin tuna - that was the icing on the cake. Our friend Charlie from Nevis who had never speared a cobia shot his first and one of the biggest of the day. All fish were shot in federal water over 3 miles from the coast where the limit is 2/person/day with no boat limit.

https://vimeo.com/124157351

FYI:
    There is no boat limit in federal waters but the fine print says no boat may possess more than 6 cobia in state waters at any time. Unlike some reef fish and others like triple tail have specific rules that allow you to pass thru state waters without stopping. Cobia specifically says you can't.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Did you know the guy that got bit this weekend?
  • FinalPointFinalPoint Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Thanks again, Paul. Epic trip for sure. Especially considering we were blanking until about the last 90 minutes!
    Budbird wrote: »
    FYI:
    There is no boat limit in federal waters but the fine print says no boat may possess more than 6 cobia in state waters at any time. Unlike some reef fish and others like triple tail have specific rules that allow you to pass thru state waters without stopping. Cobia specifically says you can't.

Budbird - are you referring to this page? http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/Cobia Because there it clearly says the following: "A person who claims to have fished in federal waters and returns to port without stopping in state waters (and thus is not observed fishing in state waters) is subject to federal regulations." And we traveled straight back to port from federal waters.
  • BudbirdBudbird Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I'm referring to fwc rule. My tripletail example was referring to spearing fish in federal and not stopping in state waters coming to port. Cobia allows 1 per person in state and 2 per in federal therefore if you have your 3 people and 6 fish in federal you can't stop coming into port. I called fwc to have them interpret their rule about bringing more than 6 fish through state waters because I thought the same as you. I thought I could keep 10 with 5 people. They called me back after reviewing the rule and told me unlike some reef fish cobia has a specific wording that doesn't allow for it.
    By the way great job on the fish. Awesome video.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,466 Captain
    Simply amazing watching you guys work.
    I didn't realize so many Cobia are on the sharks like that. :shrug I know this time of year they are supposed to be thick, but that's just off-the-chain amazing. Great catch is an understatement.

Pura Vida!
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,304 Captain
    Solid work! Geez look at all those cobia
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    I need to start jigging more when I bring up remoras.

GREAT video & GREAT spearing.
  • NobodyNobody Posts: 103 Officer
    coming from a commercial fisherman who spends everyday on the water, they messed up! anyone who is experienced will tell you that the boat limit is 6 fish period! you can have an RS and it does not matter....6 per boat per day max! take a walk down the docks and talk to samana, blackdog or redbeard charters who commonly have 6 or more people on the boat and they will tell you that they STOP keeping fish once the boat limit of 6 fish is met. this kind of killing takes money out of our pockets and should not be praised.
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Amazing video. Nice shooting, and thank you for sharing the miss. Everyone misses but few ever admit it. I really need to get in for the free-dive class.
  • nutsmagoonutsmagoo Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Thanks guys! Had a blast out there as well as putting together the video, glad you liked it.
    dpdash wrote: »
    Did you know the guy that got bit this weekend?

I do not. Saw some more details in the news this morning - crazy story and hoping for a speedy recovery for him.
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 571 Officer
    The more than 6 fish is an interesting question. The Black Dog, Samana ,etc. all spend part of their day fishing in state water so that limits them to six fish. You can transport federal limits of fish or spearfish for fish you can not spear in state water (Permit, African Pompano) thru state waters as long as you do not stop that would include fishing in state water on the way out. The route on your chart plotter should show a nice clean line from where your trip started directly into federal waters and lots of loop d doos in federal water and then a straight line back to where you started. If your route shows you stopping to catch fish along the way or to catch bait on the way out you are asking for trouble.

Awesome video. I sent it to my son it made him crazy.

Fireman Bill
  • eugene krabseugene krabs Posts: 41 Deckhand
    wheres the MAN when you actually need em...
  • FinalPointFinalPoint Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Budbird wrote: »
    I'm referring to fwc rule. My tripletail example was referring to spearing fish in federal and not stopping in state waters coming to port. Cobia allows 1 per person in state and 2 per in federal therefore if you have your 3 people and 6 fish in federal you can't stop coming into port. I called fwc to have them interpret their rule about bringing more than 6 fish through state waters because I thought the same as you. I thought I could keep 10 with 5 people. They called me back after reviewing the rule and told me unlike some reef fish cobia has a specific wording that doesn't allow for it.
    By the way great job on the fish. Awesome video.

Thanks. I'll just say I still don't agree. By the way, I've called FWC on things before and have had them told me incorrect info. All of the literature I see says that there is a 6 per boat max in state waters (meaning that if you are fishing or you stop in state waters, this applies). Federal limits apply to cobia just like they apply to tripletail or other fish that have different state and federal regs. This trip was done in Federal waters and all regulations were adhered to. If someone can point to a law that tells me I'm wrong, I'll be the first to thank them as I don't permit or encourage lawbreaking...I'm a firm believer that the regs are good for the longevity of our environment and sport.

For those who are crying about us taking some fish, I'm sorry you feel that way. Please write your congressmen if you want to complain. We have blanked on several trips, and our friends were hungry for cobia. We don't waste fish and I can assure you I had some grateful neighbors and co-workers (not to mention keeping the girl happy). Trip of a lifetime for sure.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 698 Officer
    wow - serious cobia!!!!
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • EjazzleEjazzle Posts: 110 Officer
    pull up to fwc with 8 cobia on board and see what they say...
  • RG AirRG Air Posts: 284 Deckhand
    Forum police are the 5hit.....Sike.
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 513 Officer
    Sick shootin! Liked the retro rundmc too. I'll leave the legal commentary to the experts. Thanks for sharing.
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    Great documentation Paul....you guys keep diving deeper. That's incredible.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • eugene krabseugene krabs Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Ejazzle wrote: »
    pull up to fwc with 8 cobia on board and see what they say...
    roger that...
  • SLW UroCaneSLW UroCane Port St. LuciePosts: 407 Deckhand
    footankleg wrote: »
    Sick shootin! Liked the retro rundmc too. I'll leave the legal commentary to the experts. Thanks for sharing.

:crowd
    Tight Lines !!! For more information on a vasectomy, please visit www.gulfstreamurology.com.