Skip to main content
Home Boating

DYI buddy bearing cap/bra needed...

fishonfishon Posts: 984 Officer
I just filled my buddy bearings and found both caps are torn, allowing Greece to sling all over the rims. I hope to trailer the boat tomorrow but don't have time to go buy new caps or bras. Does anyone know of a way I can make a cap or cover to keep Greece from slinging out all over the place while going down the road? Thanks Tomm
Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
Live in Lakeland

Replies

• jeffjonesjeffjones Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    electrical tape the cracked covers up for a quick fix.
    multiple pieces on the O outside and then wrap it around the circumference to keep those outside pieces held down.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Saran wrap and rubber bands over CLEAN surface..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Or, clean with acetone and use duct-tape. After this trip, get rid of those Buddy Bearings. That's old school technology, before they made positive lube spindles or hubs with a grease fitting in the rear. For $50 each, you can buy galvanized hubs with a grease fitting in the rear. This keeps the hub completely filled with grease compared to the B-B that only puts grease in the front bearing. 9 out of 10 times, it's the rear bearing that goes bad, because the seal is worn and allows water to enter the back-side of the hub. If the hub was full of grease, no water can enter.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,365 Officer
    Cut the bottom 2" off of a beer can (empty it first) and push it on. I lost a bra somewhere in South Carolina years ago, made one like that along the way, and it was fine when we got to Cape Hatteras, NC.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • fishonfishon Posts: 984 Officer
    Wow,

TIEDOWN 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" Bearing, 5 on 4.5" Stud VORTEX Hub Kit #81022
    Stock# 5256237
    Vortex hubs are a pre-greased "no touch" lubrication system with Extra Heavy Duty Lucas grease that requires no maintenance for up to 100,000 miles or 6 years. Kit Includes:1 hub, bearings, triple lip spring loaded grease seal, threaded dust cap w/O-ring, external zerk fitting, cotter pin & lug nuts.

$69.00
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I put condoms over a hub with missing cap once to keep water out during launch.
    23895.gif
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,355 Admiral
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    Beat me to it.
    No pun intended
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer

Ya, condoms work great. Probably get them free if you got Obamacare!
  • mudjon09mudjon09 Posts: 100 Officer
    Put the end plastic caps off of a tube of grease,
    Fit perfect,every time you use up a tube you have to open another new ,so take the plastic cap and snap it on. Had on mine.i grease the bearing once a month,and save the caps in in the boat tool box on board.
    Mudjon
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand

Were these ready wets or no lube????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    kanaka wrote: »
    Were these ready wets or no lube????

I would advise lubed and ribbed, no such thing as too much lube!